Banksy's work to be independently authenticated

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by duffer, Sep 5, 2008.

1. duffer

duffer Under Mi SensI...........

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news...street-art/article-307991-detail/article.html

Can someone explain( if anyone knows) How can someone who is not connected to the artist authenticate his work? And how can they decide if its genuine or not? all seems a bit of a pisstake to be honest. I dont know banksy but i will decide that is a genuine one he has done because...............

Works by Bristol-born artist Banksy are to go up for sale accompanied by a certificate of authenticity for the first time.
    Five pieces of street art will be auctioned by Lyon & Turnbull in London on September 27.
    A board has been set up to provide an independent authentication service dedicated to such early works.
    The move follows concern that there are an increasing number of Banksy imitators.
    Suspected fake Banksies in Bristol include a work which appeared on the side of the Honeypot building in Upper Maudlin Street in May.
    It showed a child, complete with paper bag ready to bang, sneaking up on a police firearms officer. It was not signed with the iconic Banksy tag.
    And in April last year a stencilled cut out box appeared on a wall and pavement near The Triangle in Clifton. Again there was no tag.
    Banksy's images usually make a political point in a humorous way.
    Ben Hanly, head of modern and contemporary art at Lyon & Turnbull, said the new authentication board – known as Vermin – would address a grey area in the market.
    A committee called Pest Control was set up within the past few months to authenticate Banksy's prints and canvasses after fakes began to appear on the market.
    But the body, endorsed by Banksy himself, deliberately avoids handling his "street pieces" created without permission early in his career.
    Neither Banksy nor anybody directly associated with him is free to authenticate these works without the risk of opening him up to prosecution for vandalism.
    But now, if authentication can be proved by documenting the work's proven history, it will be given a Vermin certificate. All works and their provenance would then be available for public examination and published on the internet.
    The five Banksy street pieces have been valued at between £25,000 and £150,000.
    Ben Hanly said buyers wanted authentication to be "rock solid". "The market is relatively small for street pieces as not many have survived, even though they are by far the most important," he said.
    "They're where his style and career came from."
    Banksy's distinctive spray-can art can be found all over the streets of Bristol, London and Brighton.
    His works have sold for hundreds of thousands of pounds and he has a number of celebrity fans including Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
    The artist has zealously guarded his anonymity.
    The five works being auctioned are:
    Gangsta Rat, painted on plywood in Liverpool as part of the 2004 Biennial Festival of Contemporary Art. It could fetch up to £35,000.
    Refuse Rat, painted on metal and is valued at £20,000 to £30,000.
    Drill Rat dates from 2003 or 2004 and was salvaged from a demolition site in Brighton. Expected to raise between £25,000 and £35,000.

Photographer Rat, stencil and spray-painted on plastic road bollard in 2003. Valued at between £30,000 and £40,000.
    Fungle Junk spray painted on three steel panels which originally formed part of a larger mural painted by Banksy on the side of a trailer at the Lizard Festival in Cornwall in 1999.
    The artist sought permission from the owner of the trailer to paint the mural which was created as a piece of performance art in front of festival goers. Valued at between £100,000 and £150,000.

2. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

Bansky is not 1 person, hes an army of peeps

3. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

wrong!

he is one person...... aparently i have met him.... along with sammy_dodger.... well..... one of our mates...... who graffs "known" is good mates with him....... and he seems to think we've met him....... but not to sure who he is to be fair..... anyway...... so it is just one person......

This whole "authenticating" thing is bullshit..... im pretty sure that if i ask the right people i could get a banksy stencil..... that will be authentic..... expept its not him whos pressed the spray can......

its just someone else trying to cash in on his fame....

4. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

nah dude, your wrong...u met him yea? u met one of him in other words

5. Greg P

Greg P Active Member

I told you

[​IMG]

But keep it ssshh yeah? That's the last time I'm posting this, Banksy is gonna go mental with me...

6. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Read

7. savoirfaire

savoirfaire 16

seems alot of peeps are very keen to find out what Banksy looks like. are they expecting a martian?