Banksy vs. Robbo

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by BeyondTherapy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. BeyondTherapy

BeyondTherapy Well-Known Member

Banksy vs. Robbo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. *SweetPea*

*SweetPea* LADY VINYL

The whole point of street art is to have bits added to it by other artists. Not some one scrawling 'xxx was here' or doing some shitty little tag, but pieces evolve this way.

If you do a piece, you can't expect it to stay the same forever, unless it's been comissioned by someone, and it's on an owned wall or something.

I don't agree with dogging someone's work, but if someone sees a piece and thinks they can add to it, whether it be in an ironic way, or adding to the piece in an artistic way, then they should be free to do it. The original artist was free to paint what they wanted there in the first place.

The piece in my sig was a famous piece in Stokes Croft, for quite a while, and when it got dogged, it was sad, but it has lead to two more beautiful pieces having being painted in the same spot since.

You're not going to be able to preserve graffiti forever.

3. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

I like how he's reclaimed it.
    Well thouight out, and looks rather sick.

4. orbojunglist

orbojunglist Member

nice reply there from "robbo" most my stuff from back in the day was on canal bridges....only to get covered by stupid fuckin kids "tagging" would be an honour to get my vandalism "vandalised" by banksy tbh:not_worth

[​IMG]

5. orbojunglist

orbojunglist Member

The piece in my sig was a famous piece in Stokes Croft, for quite a while, and when it got dogged, it was sad, but it has lead to two more beautiful pieces having being painted in the same spot since.

You're not going to be able to preserve graffiti forever.[/QUOTE]

that piece is shit hot! awesome semi-cartoon stuff

6. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

can someone explain to me whether it was the bottom photo or top photo which was banksys final piece?!?!

obviously the old red and colorful "robbo" came first but the top picture completly contradicts the bottom one and they are in the same place so... wtf?

it looks like the top photo is the final piece as it has fully been painted over...

but why the fuck would he do that when it looks SO much shitter than the 3rd picture...

7. eada

eada Member

street art and graffiti will always be my number one love.... so much intelligent creativity to be seen.

anyone heard of BNE...
    ^^ even saw a sticker here in seoul the other night out...

side note: love your sig dnbkingz, epic flick

8. *SweetPea*

*SweetPea* LADY VINYL

The first pic is Robbo's original, that was there for 25 years or something. Banksy then painted the workman over it, come along to paint over it. Robbo then replied by painting an ever bigger and brighter piece over Banksy's worker, and his original piece, Banksy then came back with the workman, and the rolls of wallpaper that's pasted up over the brighter piece.

Top to Bottom, start to finish. :)

9. *SweetPea*

*SweetPea* LADY VINYL

Comparing the second pic to the third pic, looks like Robbo's piece had been tagged on quite a lot before Banksy came and painted over the top.

Is this definitely a Banksy piece then?! Whan was it done, and where is it?

10. orbojunglist

orbojunglist Member

shouldnt that be middle bottom top?
    [​IMG]

11. *SweetPea*

*SweetPea* LADY VINYL

No, imagine the top one without the worker. that's the original. - the one that was there for 25 years.
    Banksy painted the worker over the top.
    Robbo painted over the original and the worker with an entirely new piece.
    Banksy painted over that one again.

I think that's right, that's how I percieve it anyway.

12. ali^

ali^ Bigtingsagwarn

that robbo piece is whack, fair play respect and that but jesus it's terrible. Banksy's a bit of a twat when it comes to dealing with other writers aswell. I'd be raging if i was Robbo

13. orbojunglist

orbojunglist Member

nah honestly mate,the middle one is WELL 80s...then banksys put the "posters" and "painter" on....then robbos come back and slapped him back with the full white piece! deffo. :)

[​IMG]

14. ali^

ali^ Bigtingsagwarn

Yeah i was thinking that. That colour piece looks like it's been with old krylon or whatever. Picture quality is gash too.

Looks like when Banksy did that painter, Robbo saw it and decided to do a quick dub imo

15. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

well said lady (y)

16. *SweetPea*

*SweetPea* LADY VINYL

I can see how you think that too. :) That's what I like about street art, it's so subjective.

But yeah, looking at those two pieces there, I can't say that I am a massive fan of this robbo chap. The pieces are pretty crudely done in my opinion. Looks like how a 15 year old writes their name on their pencil cases.

I hope he does better pieces in other places.

17. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

thanks .. well that really would clear it up for me man :) but theres a few things which dont make sense with your statement.

if the top picture comes first

then howcomes when u look at the arch to the right of it there is a load graffiti that isnt there in the second pic??

and how did he remove an entire wall of white paint to make it look liek its original concrete state?

18. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

I disagree,
    i know UK art is more or less a Perception of what went on in NYC, you cant say most legends are located in NY or LA. So much as people from all over the world go there to get there name up there..

now saying that i dont know much about the scene out there, but looks to me like banksy (who is not one dude) could infarct have robbo on the payroll as thats what he does, finds skilled writers, or in this case stencil artists and hires them out to do his dirty work. He thrives on hype and media support, and this is a prime example of that

I dont rate banksy or robbo so.... i dunno where im going with this ahaha

19. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

oooh i see u hav already eplained it sorry

well confusing :)

20. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

[​IMG]