Bank Errors....

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by TooEZ, Apr 9, 2006.

1. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

What's up guys....was wondering if someone could help me out.

I went to the cashpoint yesterday to see if I had enough money to get a tenner out to buy some food for dinner...my account should have been hovering around the o/d limit I have on it, which is -£300ish. On checking my balance, I found that it was £1200 in credit. I took the card out, it said the same and I put it in another machine to check....it said the same.

WOOHOO!!!!

This is completely unexplained and there is definitely no reason at all why it should be in there, so I think that the bank has fucked up. Have heard various stories when I have asked people as to whether or not the money is mine to spend (obviously it wasn't intended to be); some have said that if it has been in my account for more than 24hrs it's mine, others that they will ask for it back but it is my legal right to refuse as my account is my property....others have said not to touch it, keep my head low and hope they don't notice.

What is the situation? Does anyone know of the technicalities associated with it? Am I the luckiest mo fo alive???

Thanks....

Gibs.:boom:

2. mesh

mesh Active Member

well ... a mixed blessing to be sure mate.

My advice is banks are fuckers and will not ask for it back, they will TAKE it back from your account.
    They control your account, not you, and they have the right to correct all errors, IF they detect them.

If you wanna keep this cash, take it all out and close your account so they cant access anything of yours. Then hope for the best! Of course closing your account may attract attention as to why you are doing so ...

I don't know anything about a 24 hour rule, but I can't imagine English banks being nicer than Australian ones in this regard.

weird situation man

3. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

It's not a student loan payment or something is it?

4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

go to another bank and ask. thats what i wouldve done anyway.

5. josh

josh "LOUD NOISES!"

6. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

It's def not student loan man.....way too much. £500 too much.

7. Gumby

Gumby New Member

you can keep the money but it will require some effort on your part (formal letter writing to bank managers etc). the same thing happened to my mate a while ago. he kicked up a stink and got to keep the cash...

heres what you do:

- withdraw the money so the bank cant take it back.
    - expect them to be in contact with you during the week to find out where the money is.
    - when they tell you that you have to pay it back, tell them that you are sure the money is yours because you were expecting a deposit of that amount from someone important- just make it up depending on your circumstance- like a student loan or something.
    - tell them that theyre not getting the money back until they produce proof that the money isnt yours. (they will)

this next part depends on how good you are at writing convincing letters and you might need a bit of luck as well.

- write to the person in the highest position in the company. cc a letter to the bank manager and to your "lawyer". explain how much of an inconvenience this whole situation has been, that youve been harrassed by bank staff to get the money back even though the mistake was purely their fault and you did nothing wrong. request some sort of compensation for the inconvenience theyve caused (to keep the money or at least half of it.)

remember that letters are much more powerful than emails and telephone calls. and dont be abusive. youre the 'victim' here... good luck!

oh and on a side note, dont spend the money cos if theyre serious about getting it back and they have proof it isnt yours- they have every right to it. LOL.

8. Gumby

Gumby New Member

oh and i should mention that my mate only got $300. so the bank didnt really miss it... 1200pounds is alot of money. so you might not have as much luck but its worth a try.

9. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

Stash it in a savings account or something, don't spend it till you're sure they're not asking for it back!

10. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

i say go on a crack binge till the money's gone..then sue the bank for making you a crack addict, and ask compensation and free treatment at top Swiss de-tox clinic..
    that should teach them..

11. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Your friends have told you a load of crap.

The money is the banks.

They might find it or might not. In most cases I've heard of, they find it. You'll be in for some unpleasantness if you spend it - could be treated as theft.

12. soundgirl

soundgirl Queen of the Stupids

Dustek is right. i wouldn't touch it, and i'd probably own up. you don't miss what you never RIGHTFULLY had. you'd get into way too much hassle if they found out and you'd spent it all.

i had a similar problem in an old job, where i got paid twice in the same month by mistake. that was about £700, and i just owned up and they took it back. i wasn't bothered at all. rather that than get myself into a world of shit.

13. k-tipper

k-tipper I've been naughty, I'm banned

:gimp: how moist are you all???? spend it gibba blaitently, they put it there in your account so its yours,they made a mistake its there problem,you didnt steal it . people on here have got to much morals,need to live a little,tell me vif you found that on the floor you wouldnt hand it in at the police station dustek you sap

14. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Actually I would and not because I'd be scared about the consequences if I didn't BECAUSE of my morals.

In the case of a bank transfer there is a blatant trail that will be noticed. If the bank wants to get nasty, then they could bring a criminal case - if the money is not returned. Its not a question of its their problem not yours. I've been through this professionally.

15. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

LOL.....

Well, I've taken the liberty of doing a weekly shop, gone out for a nice meal and £40 on vinyl....nothing I can't afford not to pay back. I'm gonna keep it schtum; if they kick up a fuss, then I'll just say that I thought there was some of my money in there anyway and that I was planning to buy books for Uni with it - it'll be their fault for the funds being available, and I was none the wiser.

@ Dustek: surely I can't be done for stealing if they have, essentially, given the money to me (albeit by accident).
    ----It'd be like giving someone some money on the street, then accusing them of having stolen it. I don't think so. Of course the money wouldn't be theirs, but it has been given to them. It would be entirely their fault??

16. mesh

mesh Active Member

ha you're one of the dumb fucks who ends up getting punked in jail cause you're too stupid too understand the consequence of your action. I'm 31 and have done shit for ages without getting busted for a STUPID CRIME like this.

Its not morals, its the law of averages mate. It will catch up with you one day, at this rate.

@ Gibber, yes, there is a crime here that punishes knowingly attempting posession of something that isn't yours, which of course applies here, which brings us back to what Gumby was saying. I'd bet english law is the precedent.

17. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

You could be done for theft - you know the money isn't yours and you are using it. Removing it = theft. Don't try & use common sense or thing in terms of allegoric situations. Especially don't think of it in Monopoly terms.

You could mount a criminal defence based on your own good faith but you're going to find it very hard to explain how you thought the money was yours AND you'll have to give the money back if its discovered.

The only way the money could become legally yours is through prescription (if you have something for a while and the owner doesn't ask it back, its yours) - but you have to wait a long time for that.

18. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

Bugger....so u reckon I should give it back to them...or at least let them know? Then say, 'sorry old bean, I spent a bit....thinking it was mine....do you mind if I pay it back' surely they'll be cool with that? I was going to take money out anyway!!

Goddammit I want all that money so badly......!! Grrr!

19. Gumby

Gumby New Member

just dont spend anymore and wait for them to ask for it back. dont volunteer it back cos they might not realise a mistake has been made.

20. Gumby

Gumby New Member

oh and they should be ok with you paying the extra bit back later. it was their mistake after all.