Bank Charges..

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Textbook, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Textbook

Textbook BUTTER

Anyone else getting raped by these?

im getting charged 22 pounds every 5 days for being over my agreed overdraft.

Which i never even agreed on!

as ive been laid off from my job recently, im only getting just over 90 pounds every 2 weeks (job seekers which is also aload of shit)

they expect me to pay these charges off. Ive tried to be reasonable with them and say, ill pay as much as i can each week if they stop the charges but they wont have any of it. Untill i get a new job, which could be months in this area, its building up all the time.

anyone else been in a similar situation n could share some advice of how it was dealt with?

cheers.

2. Dj Dirty Pimp

Dj Dirty Pimp Active Member

im in the same boat. didnt realise my driving instructor cashed in 2 chheques at the same time, making me overdrawn. so i was happily buying things. little did i know every time i used my card its a £35 charge. that mars bar ened up costing me 35 quid

ive now rackked up loads of these charges, n owe quite a bit.

if anyone know how to get out of this it would be much appreciated.

fucking outrage man

3. DJ_Akro

DJ_Akro GO BIG OR GO HOME!

get a line of credit!!! much cheaper interest lol

4. Textbook

Textbook BUTTER

yeah i think what got me into this was buying a tune, i cant remember which one now!

so that vinyl has cost me around 400 quid so far.

probably lost it aswell.

5. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

ya know if ya phone up n kick off they may help you out, i did this, i didnt get everything refunded, but if u call n have a stern word, they may help u out, depends if u get a nice trooper or a cunt on the other end of the line.

6. DJ_Akro

DJ_Akro GO BIG OR GO HOME!

:word:

this worked for me before aswell

7. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

apparently this charge should only be a few quid.

and that it shouldnt be 30quid.

i heard that a guy claimed back all the money that he shouldnt have paid over the years.

got something like 10grand

8. DJNoize

DJNoize Your Mom Rates Me

im in a fuck load of debt

£4000ish

9. Controller

Controller (╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻

I fucking hate Lloyds tsb.

I owe them 60 quid atm for going into my overdraft.

I didnt realise i was overdrawn, they sent me a letter 3 days later and charged me for being overdrawn for those 3 days + a 15 quid monthly payment!

Cunts of the highest order.

Im leaving lloyds.

10. JunglelisticG

JunglelisticG I ♥ Drum'N'Bass

Fuk yer!

They are wa***rs, I get charged about £120 a month..and the smart bastards wait un till im up to my overdraft limit (i agreed on £600, but they up it to £900)and then splash...they put on top of that £-900, £120 jsut coz they can!
    at the rate im going im not gonna get out of this debt its a fukin piss take! :ban:

11. Textbook

Textbook BUTTER

exactly mate. no where did i say or sign allowing it to go over my overdraft. it should just decline if it max'd.

12. SLow

SLow Quadrospazzed life-glug

Dunno about charges as I escaped my overdraft ages ago but the interest rates right now are shocking, I was getting 6% on a savings account a year ago, now it's 0.1%! Joke!

P.s. the clause about charges is in the small print, what else would you expect of these cunts..

13. toreman

toreman toreman

sounds like you lot need to change ya banks! Nationwide don't do any of that shit....

14. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

To be fair, you should take more care of your money, and then maybe you wouldn't be overdrawn and be charged.

Not having a go, just food for thought.

Keeping track of your money and working out expenditure compared to budget is a vital thing really.

15. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

Right... im a finance advisor at Abbey.

Basicly... if you read the terms and conditions of your account you dont have a foot to stand on when moaning about being charges..... plus... If you go to your bank and say that you are un-employed and only get job-seekers they have the right to close your account and give you something called a "basic account" which is basicly a bank account with only a cash card.... so you can only take money from the cash machines.... it will also restrict you on other things.. namely... you will only be able to put 15k maximum into the account (who has 15k in a bank account anyway??).... you will have your overdraft taken away from you and made to pay it back as a loan etc.... basicly... banks have a right to do this... afterall... it isnt "YOUR" bank account its the banks but they let you put your money into it....

as for the going over your overdraft..... to be honest mate... kinda deserve it..... you shouldnt spend what you dont have.... i have to deal with people neglegence every day... and to be honest i do it myself... ive had tons of charges.... things just slip your mind.... but in the end of the day..... you have the responsibilty to look after your own account..... if you cant then i suggest not having one.... and if you carry on getting charged etc etc.... many banks will now close your account due to the fact that you are unable to run it properly.....

theres are a few reasons why people get charges......

main reason as follows...
    you pay for something in the shop with your debit card for say £50 and you know you have £55 in your bank account..... so you buy it....... but.... this transaction will take anything between 24hours to 3 days to come out of your account..... so... in between this time you go and look at your account and see you still have £55 sitting in your account..... you dont check that the card payment has come out (who would really??)... so you take the money out...... in 3days time when the company who you made the card payment to, goes to take the money out of your account..... you no longer have the money in there...... but..... the bank has to honour it because you have walked away with the goods.... therefore you go overdrawn..... and therefore... your fault.... unfortunatly you dont have a leg to stand on.....

However..... if a charge that the bank has placed onto your account take you overdrawn and causes another charge to be applied then you need to go to your bank and sort it out.... this is not technically a "legal" charge..... but most banking computer systems will automaticly charge you once they see youve gone overdrawn no matter what the transaction is..... this also goes for the weekly/monthly charges some banks hit you with......

16. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

I agree with rock 100%

17. Dan M

Dan M hard gay northern bear

ok fair point but the charges are extortionate, at halifax its summat like 39 quid. how can they warrant that. at least wiv lloyds they do it in increments ie if your a 5er over they give you a little charge whereas halifax if its 1 penny or ten grand still a 39 quid charge........ that i feel is daylight robbery

also theres a massive case going to court in the summer to decide whether the banks would have to reimburse millions back to customers because of these high unfair charges but lookin at the state of the economy i cant see the public winning plus the fact the government are now major shareholders in the banks.

fact is you need banks nowadays, they've got you by the balls and they abuse that power so i hate them.

18. Dj Dirty Pimp

i agree with being charged for it. its £35 at halifax. Which i have been charged forn this month. absolute extorition

however haliffax tells me they are reducing this to £5 this month! im fumin! make mine £5 n i agree with the charge!

19. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

You see... here lies the problem....

if banks bring it down to £5 or whatever.... people will think... ahh... its ok.... its only £5 that ill have to pay.....

where as £35, people dont want to pay that so,most people avoid having to pay it.

As for the court case going on.... this is mainly about being charged for being charge.... ie.... if a charge take you overdrawn is it ok to charge that person again??? well no... it isnt.... It is also about whether or not banks are making a profit from these charges....

The catch 22 about this whole situation is...... if banks decide at this court hearing that they will no longer charge people £35 for going overdrawn by £4 for examle.... then all they are going to do is raise the overdraft interest rate.... which is currently on average about 18%.... it will probably end up being around the 25% mark....

It will also lead to having to pay a monthly subscription for all bank accounts in the UK..... which in turn will cause people who cant afford to pay these monthly subscription to not have a bank account, which will then lead to them not being able to be paid by their jobs and whatever else you cant do with out a bank account.

Do you want to pay £15+ every month to have a bank account??? or would you rather have a free account and be responsible with your money and make sure you run your account properly and not get any O/D charges???

20. Dj Dirty Pimp

you say that, but its perfectly legal for the banks to get their costs back from an individual who is over drawn. which is about a 5er

one of the things they are questioning is whether the 35 is a penalty, or represents the cost to the business. If its a penalty then strictly speaking it is not legal as they are not allowed to penalise you,