Back up back up back up.

Discussion in 'Production' started by justin_credible, Feb 26, 2009.

1. justin_credible

justin_credible Lurker

Im sure i dont have to tell all you people about the importance of backing up your shit. I know myself how important it is, i just never seemed to have the time to actually do it.
    Now that some geek fuckwits virus has totalled my lappy im begining to wish i had made the time. Ive lost everything, including all the tunes im made over the last 5 years.

So my advice to you is back up your computer...........NOW!

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

great advice, and itd be even better if you dont have web access from your music pc.
    i got two or three viruses on my computer but theyre all automatic diallers and theres no modem

3. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

you sure its all gone?

How did you lose it all? the virus deleted it?

You can get programs which will look for recently deleted stuff and try and get it back for you..

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/
    Something like that maybe...

As for back ups, its def well worth it. I have lost things in the past. I have a little 320GB portable hard drive now with a bit of software which automatically backs up anything new in my music folder every day.

4. Ch4ndler

Ch4ndler I've been naughty, I'm banned

Dont pay for ANYTHING! Love gettin rid of virus's, recovering peoples files etc, do it for a living :)

5. KEMZ

KEMZ Blatant Royal Status

there is a way im sure you can roll back the clock on the PC to a time before the virus installed itself? im sure some techy person could tell you how its done.

but yeah, so true you must back everything up!

Benga the Dubstep producer had a legendary crash just a he started to get big, lost thousands of tracks he's finished, plus all his samples ect! thats when he got a Mac and said good bye to PC's.

i feel for you bro, thats a harsh thing to happen, but dont give up hope just yet, im sure there are ways to extract the stuff on there

6. slimbo011

slimbo011 I've been naughty, I'm banned

7. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

1tb harddrives are cheap nowadays man

8. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

im gonna back evrything up now i think.

9. perspective

perspective Sex Drugs & Sausage Rolls

cd /mnt/usb/backup/<DATE>; dd if=/dev/sda | split -b 256m ; gzip *

:)

10. Ch4ndler

Ch4ndler I've been naughty, I'm banned

gzip *?

11. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

when i dl''d that massive thing it gave me bluescreen and it ssaid i needed to insert system disk.

I though i was gunna lose everything...but i pressed f14 or something and i fixed it

12. BeeOtch

BeeOtch Coming up

I had a Problem with my computer the other day too. I downloaded a Program to convert Avis to MPEG-2s and this program fucked up my pc. Everytime I booted my pc it was up for 5 seconds then BOOOM BSOD!! the wonderfull Blue Screen Of Death! :)
    How I solved it? Easy

If you have Vista you can go back in time in your system: It changes everything back. Now I went to this application and set it to the time before i installed that converter. and there it goes, everything fine again.

So, do you know when you had that Virus from or what was the last program you installed before you had this Virus infection?

I have my Vista installed in german so I'll write it in german and try to translate it:
    you go to "system steuerung" which is i believe simply "System" in english, then you click on "Sichern und Wiederherstellen" ("Secure and recreate"?), then you click on "Windows mittels Systemwiederherstellung reparieren" ( " Repair Windows with Systemrecreation" or something like it, in the top left corner ) then it loads, let it load, then eventually it will open this Systemrecreation window, there you click on "Weiter" (Ok or further what ever) then tick the box next to "Wiederherstellungspunkte anzeigen, die älter als 5 Tage sind" ("show recreationpoints older than 5 days" or something like it) and then choose the point where your computer was still alive ^^ Then let it load, it will recreate every System object which was there at the time.
    If your only problem are the documents or files then you can try it anyway but it says that documents are neither changed nor deleted.

But I don't think its going to harm you, and its reversable

Hope I could help,
    greets
    Beeotch

13. perspective

perspective Sex Drugs & Sausage Rolls

that's how i compress baby.

or tar cvzf it if you so please, but my backup drive is FAT32 so nooooo big files!

14. sook

sook Member

ive lost everything...
    including samples...
    3 times in the last 5 years...
    never again....

15. fevezz

fevezz nom nom nom nom!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  16. kenflex

kenflex KenFlex

i lost everything when i started making tracks about 5/6years ago due to a major IT malfunction - from then on I made sure I always back up to something else and I always partition any new HDD so that windows and programs are on one partition, samples and personal files on the other.

I feel for you.