back to the advice!

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by apples, Nov 21, 2006.

1. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

basically i can't sell greenpeace :)D)
    i need to get 15 sign ups this week and be highly motivated to show i love this job...............or i'm gone

its not a huge problem as i have a job waiting in jan with pgl (outdoor activity centre thing for young people)

main problem is money and also the fact of failing

so....
    1. any motivational tips?
    2. any info on job seekers allowance, will they give me any money full knowing i have a job in jan waiting for me?
    3. what jobs could i get and whats the likely hood of getting a job when leaving in jan and with a hol over xmas?
    4. why the fucking hell am i finding it so hard to talk to people when i used to love it!?!

anyway any help is good so fire away. Ive had some sound advice from my best mate so i'm gonna play this week out either way then maybe quit or just get sacked :)

thank you! :borat:

2. the_evil_ginger

the_evil_ginger Member

jobseekers...... just don't tell em shit.... when i got the job at the bank i work for i was on job seekers,.... but the bank couldn't give a position for 3 months..... so i just had to blag it and say i was still lookin for work... they don't care...

as for sellin...... i work in sales and it sucks...... each time it feels like it takes a piece of your soul..:finger: ..
    but my only advice is....at least 10 nos to every yes... so thank the no's because you are one closer to your yes... at least you are sellin for a worthy cause... unlike me! and be geniuine..... people can smell the bullshit a mile off. just talk real to people and i'll tell you what it really fuckin works.....

good luck to you mate either way..(yn) . and if you want any further tips either on playin the system or sellin your soul...... (shit tips as they may be) gimme a shout!

apples likes this.
  3. BeyondTherapy

BeyondTherapy Well-Known Member

GOODLUCK :thumbsup:

4. Gumby

Gumby New Member

i can relate to this...

i did telemarketing a few years ago. i never used to have an issue with talking to people on phones but after a couple of months it really started to wear down my self confidence. i just gradually started failing and i didnt know why...

i had to quit in the end cos i couldnt handle it.

i still have issues with phones today... i'll happily ignore a ringing phone cos i'd rather not talk to the person on the other end if i dont know who is calling.

meh.

5. Gumby

Gumby New Member

oh woops, i have no useful advice... sorry.

goodluck xo

apples likes this.
  6. mesh

mesh Active Member

I could crap on about the reason it is hard to do this work for a while, but I won't cause you need advice.

Most people have one environmental issue that gets their attention, whether it be gloabl warming or littering. what is Greenpeace doing about the hot issues, and how can you use this to latch people? try to find out what resonates most with people and start from there, get them to mentally invest in Greenpeace before you even mention signing up, or whatever.

Selling anything is just leading someone down a certain path by asking the right questions about what THEY want, that is the only reason people spend money, to satisfy themselves. So finding out what pushes their buttons, and then having a "Well, actually Greenpeace has X amount of program working on that... "

I'd not suggest using guilt as a sell tactic, thats what the nightly news is for.

may the force be with you. Its hard work no doubting. You are doing well

apples likes this.
  7. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Firstly…

Don't see it as failing, cos that's very negative, and not strictly true either…You've tried something, and you're not suited to it…

1. I don't think you can make yourself get motivated if you're aren't enjoying what you're or seeing any positive…
    2. You can only get JSA if you get sacked, not if you resign, though not signing anyone up should do it…
    3. There's lots of short term shop jobs…Dunno how long a Hol you want though.
    4. It's not just talking to people is it…It's 'selling' and it's also selling something (helping a global & controversial environmental charity, and a slight feeling of inner warmth), that most people either don't want, feel the need for, or understand...

I also think in the public eye, that chugging and mega-charities are a bit out dated (and times are hard for lots of people, especially coming upto Xmas...So you're fighting a losing battle.

From what I've heard, they have a massive turnover of chugging staff, most of whom leave after a few weeks feeling they've failed...

So don't worry about it. But getting sacked will make JSA more feasible.

:)

You'll have forgotten all your worries come Friday night...

8. mesh

mesh Active Member

yeah, thats a great point, people get tight fisted round xmas, even the greenies. and it is a job designed for a high turnover, sorta like call centres really.

On the other hand, xmas retail and hospitality jobs may be around.

9. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

More advice for face to face sales / chugging: Work on your 'hypno-eyes'...

'When I click my fingers, You will sign up to help Greenpeace'

:lol:

Like Mesh says, it is a numbers game. They put so many chuggers out on the street, and how many people will sign up?

I'm guessing there maybe like 2% who will not need much convincing, and another 5% who may be up for it if caught on the right day by the right person.

Like when I've worked in magazines, the advertising sales staff...All work the same hours and yet you always get 2 or 3 out of the team of 10 who between them account for 60% of the sales.

I personally found many of the sales staff to come across as wankers, particularly the successful ones.

Some people are born sellers, some aren't. Some people can sell anything.

Others can only sell stuff they are personally enthusiastic about or personally involved with, and are happy with the way it's being sold. It's personal ethics which (I think) plays a big part of motivation.

10. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

thank you evil one! :) you really helped me this morn before i went out there! and was in no way shit advice.
    just knowing im not alone is great! thank you
    again these really helped me this morning. problem is im finding it hard to motivate myself to be all about greenpeace like 24/7. but again thank you!
    thank you! you are right. im trying to feel more positive generally so you make a good point!
    and my god i can not wait till fri!!! :cake:
    i was thinking this but i'm only available till jan 19th and am on holiday (to Jordan) from 23/12 - 31/12. so i'm slightly worried bout getting anything
    yeah basically i dunno if i can sell greenpeace as im not fired up about it. im interested in the decentralised energy part but not much about dolphins/whales etc. when people say no or they dont have the time im like ok! coz i dont wanna piss em off.

well anyway you have all been such a huge help.....you will never understand how much fully! i'm feeling alot better and have decided i wanna leave. whether im fired or not is the issue and also the money side of things. im gonna speak to my mum (they are the best) tonight and work out the best ways for me. its also the fact that greenpeace are wasting their money/time on me which isnt fair.

all in all though im glad ive experienced it! again thank you ! xxx

11. checkmabadself

checkmabadself A gift from punjab

Just having the courage to try the job is a big thing, you should be proud not upset, most people wouldn't even have the bollocks to try someting like that.

big up for giving it a go!.

Shops are screaming out for staff over xmas so don't worry about not being able to get a job.

12. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

thanks man :)

yeah i'm gonna leave and have a break. i've lost all my self confidence over the past 6-8 months through change. i have pgl to look forward to and well yeah i will be ok! :)

plus ill be online a lil more haaaaaaaaaa :D xx

13. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

PS
    i love you guys

14. Gumby

Gumby New Member

:flowers:

i picked these for you