B:51 - Motive

Salvus

VIP Junglist
Hi guys,

I have just uploaded my latest tune.
I am trying to head in the rough direction of minimal/dark drum and bass. (more percussion elements etc / fabric room 3 sort of stuff)

http://soundcloud.com/b_51/motive-free-download

Some constructive feedback on trying to achieve that kind of sound would be ace. I am not however saying that i want to sound like Jubei, Rockwell, Dub Phizix .... (the list goes on), because that's not the idea of originality.
I was wondering if any of you guys had any wisdom on how to make a tune with (seemingly) very few elements cut it without seeming empty? (one tune in my mind would be skeptical - cold one Jubei remix... just reminds me of fabric room 3)

Phil

Hey there ! You are heading towards a good direction !!! I love deep / dark / minimal dnb . You can also check out Enei, Shogun Audio, Icicle, Mindtech Recordings, Dispatch, Octane and DLR and many others ! For example L33 is pretty new to the game and he has some tunes ... oh my :).
Anyway back to your track . If u build your song on strong samples - specially the kick and the snare ( layer snares ) and a really strong bass ( and i don;t mean skrillex bass - that is not strong ) i mean sine + detuned saw/squares heavy heavy :) i will make some tutorials for this kind of bass soon. Oh and don;t hesitate to use reverbs on the hits.
For a first try, it's a nice one. I think you can deal with it - no problems. Have fun. Cheers

Sounds really good! There is only one thing, that rimshot/snare is probably too above, change pitch and try to get sound which fit to the other drums. Overall, nice job. As xiu said, direction is right!

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

specially the kick and the snare ( layer snares ) and a really strong bass ( and i don;t mean skrillex bass - that is not strong ) i mean sine + detuned saw/squares heavy heavy :) i will make some tutorials for this kind of bass soon. Oh and don;t hesitate to use reverbs on the hits.

I like to use a lot of reverb on dark minimal dnb.. wet reverb on percussions gives a tons of dark vibes imo.

hey salvus,
sounds good to me ( i am an half newb anyway :) )
what break do you use ??if you just programming the drum with seq try to chop a break pitch it then freez it then side chain to the drum chanel....

Most of it is individual hits. Lots of them. (especially all the precussion and hats etc) There is one shuffle I've taken off of a Mitsubishi sample pack (i think) and chopped up and then the kick I resampled from a previous track.
So if I layered a break in, I could sidechain that from the kick?

One thing I feel especially lost with guys is pitching drums to fit the track. What's the best way to know how to pitch my drums (especially that main rimshot or whatever for this style) so that it actually gels with the rest of the track?

Really appreciate the advice!

Nice one

yrw
well, i tend to sidechain the break to kick and to the snare too.
for pitching i just slice a loop (amen brk for instance) then i program a beat with eq and comp then when it s freez i put on the track and i chop it playng with the pitch knob , the i refreez once again

Whoa nice work,and to fill out those freq try some layering on kicks,snares etc,adding more sub,try making louder that reese and also some stereo widening on it!!

Cheers chaps.

So with pitching drums. Its all an ear thing? No way of knowing the pitch of it and matching it to the root key of your track etc?

personal pitching way run with ear yes, but i think there is also some muic-rules....anyone know about it ????

Back
Top Bottom