Awesome multi touch DJ rig

Word it is pretty rad.

but still i think the sync button should be banned.

Or there should be a law that djs who use the sync button cannot get paid over 200quid a set lol

Word it is pretty rad.

but still i think the sync button should be banned.

Or there should be a law that djs who use the sync button cannot get paid over 200quid a set lol

Too right, even less than that - mixing like that takes away everything but track selection. You could essentially have someone hand you a tracklist & walk in the club like a rock star.

The video doesn't seem to want to load, but I saw it on reddit a few days back so here is a mirror link:

[video=vimeo;13658956]http://vimeo.com/13658956[/video]

and what I had to say about it:

Very cool technology in fact, all of it currently exists in cheap midi controllers (with the exclusion of the touch screen), which are a lot easier to pack up and carry than 1210s & a Xone92 but to be honest, that is not as much of an issue as he makes it because most venues I've seen have equipment already set up, so you just carry record bags.

This also removes a lot of talent out of the equation, being able to sync up songs at the touch of a button is something that eh.. you'll find most DJs not accepting, not because it doesn't work or anything, but the fact is - when you make everything this easy it gets boring rather fast.

Sounds pretentious doesn't it? DJs don't want anyone to have too easy of a time doing what they do or as they'd see it "cheating". Using pre pitched CDs and that kinda thing has had Mistabishi laughed almost entirely out of the D&B scene.

What most don't realize is that the hardest bit of DJing isn't manipulating the equipment, moreso its track selection (mixing in key, queuing up awesome double drops) & knowing when and how to use the equalizer.

Here comes the bit where people say DJing takes no skill anyway so my points are invalid :)

To that I say: I have had more fun perfecting this art than I did any conventional instruments I played previously - and its about on par with the amount of skill it took to play them.

So really the point is, with stuff like vinyl emulation software out there already, whats the point? You could just as easily set up serato for an entire night.

Last edited:
that bloke in the video is mad you dont HAVE to take your own turntables/mixer/wires.....

lol... yeah that part was pretty ridiculous. Like the guy hasn't been to too many clubs or events. It's true for mobile DJs but not club DJs. But still... pretty cool concept.

---------- Post added at 05:51 ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 ----------

Too right, even less than that - mixing like that takes away everything but track selection. You could essentially have someone hand you a tracklist & walk in the club like a rock star.

The video doesn't seem to want to load, but I saw it on reddit a few days back so here is a mirror link:

and what I had to say about it:

So really the point is, with stuff like vinyl emulation software out there already, whats the point? You could just as easily set up serato for an entire night.

Hey victories. Actually, it's a different video. But thanks for showing me this. This also is pretty cool.

As much as this represents an advancement in technology and I like the clean visuals, it is a bit of a joke and should not be taken. I wouldn't take anyone seriously who used one of these, removes the skill and replaces it with gimmicks. Trying to make being a dj more "accessible" to people.

As much as this represents an advancement in technology and I like the clean visuals, it is a bit of a joke and should not be taken. I wouldn't take anyone seriously who used one of these, removes the skill and replaces it with gimmicks. Trying to make being a dj more "accessible" to people.

The second video is not the one I linked to. The first one works with Traktor.

Beatmatching is a skill that needs to be learned by ear, absolutely. But this type of technology does not necessarily stand in the way of that. If someone just walks up and hits sync on every mix, of course they shouldn't be taken seriously. But in the hands of a professional, this technology could be devastating.

Beatmatching is a skill that needs to be learned by ear, absolutely. But this type of technology does not necessarily stand in the way of that. If someone just walks up and hits sync on every mix, of course they shouldn't be taken seriously. But in the hands of a professional, this technology could be devastating.

This^

but also:

I find that beatmatching is like riding a bike, when you learn it you don't really lose it. If therefore, you have learnt to beatmatch, and find it easier to sync some stuff up to give you quicker mixes or whatever that can't hurt can it? As long as it sounds good... I'm not saying that any Tom, Dick or Harry should be allowed to pick one of these up and instantly be the next Andy C, but people that have made their mark on the scene already, can't be doing anything wrong if they were to have a crack at some super incredible quadrouple drops after smahing an insane mash up by using this can they?

Besides, most of this sorta stuff seems to work better for house music than drum and bass in my opinion. DnB seems to be more about subtle blends, playing tunes together to complement each other and (of course) mind fucking double drops. House is better when there's loads of looping and EQ manipulation and FX being played with (again, in my opinion AND not that it doesn't work with the bass and drum!)

Anyway, enough of my opinion!

Discuss!

Last edited:
This^

but also:

I find that beatmatching is like riding a bike, when you learn it you don't really lose it. If therefore, you have learnt to beatmatch, and find it easier to sync some stuff up to give you quicker mixes or whatever that can't hurt can it? As long as it sounds good... I'm not saying that any Tom, Dick or Harry should be allowed to pick one of these up and instantly be the next Andy C, but people that have made their mark on the scene already, can't be doing anything wrong if they were to have a crack at some super incredible quadrouple drops after smahing an insane mash up by using this can they?

Besides, most of this sorta stuff seems to work better for house music than drum and bass in my opinion. DnB seems to be more about subtle blends, playing tunes together to complement each other and (of course) mind fucking double drops. House is better when there's loads of looping and EQ manipulation and FX being played with (again, in my opinion AND not that it doesn't work with the bass and drum!)

Anyway, enough of my opinion!

Discuss!

Great post. I agree with just about everything you said.

Back
Top Bottom