Automating massive

DJError

AKA Error
VIP Junglist
Basically i cant work out how to automate the LFO rate on massive, im using it as a ratio not rate. When i go onto the automation page and i look at the massive list it comes up with something about ratio but it doest do anything when i try to automate it. I dont have massive at home so i cant really explain it that well but if anyone has any idea about what im askin please help, thanks.

i know what you mean. you want to change from maybe 1/8 to 1/2 during the song..

afaik thats not possible. duplicate massive, change this option and use the second massive for another rate.

unfortunately this really is not possible in NI Massive, there are people complaining about this for years, but the NI don't seem to pay attention, see this: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum_us/showthread.php?t=50814
you can support the idea of having this fixed there, but who knows if they care... :)

you basically only have the options of a) loading another Massive for another ratio, b) finding the right settings via the Rate knob and automate it or c) make that sound with another synth like some Rob Papen's or whatever

i dont use massive...
but most NI synths have a
learn function...
cant you just easily assign
a controller for the parameter
that way... ?

Like the guys have said, you can automate via the rate, not the ratio. In FL Studio if you adjust the rate then create an automation clip from the last used event, FL Studio will do the rest for you. Obviously you can't be precise with your wobble but it certainly does the trick!

Basically i cant work out how to automate the LFO rate on massive, im using it as a ratio not rate. When i go onto the automation page and i look at the massive list it comes up with something about ratio but it doest do anything when i try to automate it. I dont have massive at home so i cant really explain it that well but if anyone has any idea about what im askin please help, thanks.

I use logic, so i assign a macro to the lfo (not sync'd) then i go to the automation bit on logic (by pressing A) and find the macro assigned to the lfo, then i drawn in the lfo patten. Takes a while to get pulse/wobble (what ever ur going for) in time. hope that helps sorta.

oh and there is an update for massive and its something to do with an LFO change. not sure tho, i couldnt log into NI lol

For a long time iv been trying to find out the same thing. iv done the duplicating massive thing for too long myself and i hate it because i dont wanna have 20 massives for 1 song.

The closest thing i've got to automation in NI massive is using the "midi learn" function. When you set a macro control to your parameter you can control it. This only works of course if you have a midi keyboard. But if you set your control to midi learn and then play your clips, while the clips are playing, if you move around the macro controls it records every movement you make, permanently. Or atleast, I haven't found a way to erase it and iv spent many hours trying! It certainly works as automation but the fact that I can't erase movements means i have 1 shot to make it right :S, which is next to impossible if your automation is complicated. So idk honestly if its even worth trying. But if you can find away to erase your movements, it will work great!

What I've been doing is laying out the whole synth, bass wobble or what ever, and then clicking on the ratio which brings up the automation envelope (in Ableton), and then messing with the ratio manually. another really fun way to do this is to lay down some midi notes at a set wobble. Lets say 1/4 for a half a bar. Then duplicate the midi track. Freeze and flatten the first one, change the second to 1/8. duplicate, freeze and flatten that one, and so forth. up to 1/16 (change the cutoff, envelopes, effects and waveforms in each one, just to get some variation). after you have all of your midi converted to audio save them as loops. (eventually you'll have tons of YOUR OWN LOOPS to grab from.) Next open up Kontakt and resample them. I'm always learning, so if anyone has some ideas I'd love to hear them.

Afraid the latest update of Massive hasn't implemented this yet. I would love to automate the specific ratios as opposed to freeballin with the rate knob. NI should simply implement another button to allow the rate knob to "click" to the specific ratios. As for know, I usually just duplicate the instance of massive that I want to "automate" the ratios. A pain in the ass, but the only workaround I've been able to find.

Cheers.

I don't know why they didn't do this. To be able to direct a "performer" or a "stepper" to the ratio would be perfect!!!!

I dont know weather i understand what all you guys are talking about or not because you can automate and ratio lfo on massive? maybe you need the new update, im not to sure.
It does take a little longer to do because you are automating 2 different things (the top ratio and the bottom).
All i do is first find out the two ratios i want, say 1/4 and 3/12. In ableton you just have to click on the thing you want to automate and the automation line comes up on the channel strip, im not sure about other daws.
If your on differnt daws and it dosnt work like that the top ratio is the MOD5-NUM control and the bottom is MOD5-DEN. The number after MOD is just which Lfo your using so it could be 5,6,7 or 8.
So then i would just automate MOD5-NUM to jump from 1 to 3 then back to one and so on and then automate MOD5-DEN from 4 to 12 and so on.

I hope this helped but still dunno if im talking about the right thing :S

True. . . .you can automate anything with an envelope. But you can't midi map that, or send a performer or stepper to that to that

Back
Top Bottom