Audiophiles anyone?

How much do you care about sound quality?

• I play wavs more often than mp3s

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I play flacs often

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don't care the least bit

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • What's flac?

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
It's all about playing the flacs foobar, none of that itunes store bought shit :rambo:

Well when I rip audio off CDs it goes to MP3, and generally unfortunately 256kpbs vbr so.... :\
But I can't hear the difference in FLACs. If I could find a way to convert CDs to WAV simply then I would. But I do like my 320 wavs :D

Well when I rip audio off CDs it goes to MP3, and generally unfortunately 256kpbs vbr so.... :\
But I can't hear the difference in FLACs. If I could find a way to convert CDs to WAV simply then I would. But I do like my 320 wavs :D

db poweramp converter

roxio cd burner

Win.

Oh and I can hear the difference in flacs easily

So what is flac.
Something lossless audio compression?

no?

fruity loopers are crazy?

fuck listening 2 andy c?

What? tell me what?

Last edited:
i just like my 320's really
not much of a fan of wavs, just because of the huge amount of space they take up and the amount of space i have on my laptop ha

i voted for the 'dont give a fuck' option

FLAC is like some high quality type of file - been around for a while now. Fuck FLAC subprime ;)

this whole rant is not aimed at subprime btw, but the question was raised and i can't contain myself now here is my answer

its based on lossless - anything digital is never truly lossless imho. due to the idea that i dont really OWN ANYTHING FROM THE PURCHASE - its still 0's and 1's and therefore still lossless.

fuck clarity. give me disposability any day. you wont find me dropping flac through peoples letterbox's dues to rough edits standing out like sore thumbs. it doesn't do anything clever with dB levels for dynamics which i expect when a file is so big i need a new hdd for an album. it doesn't give you freedom to just bash a tune out and have people check it quickly, it doesn't help the scene by making people focus on clarity instead of quality of tune writing - clarity is something i take seriously dont get me wrong, but i prefer writing a really nice melody/bassline/drum break/effect to making the said sound crystal clear. flac is a write off for me. The only thing i listened to fully in flac was that one Radiohead album (which was awesome and good luck to 'em).

256 vbr is pretty much 320. it displaces its bits to the areas where the information is needed most. vbr is better than cbr, fbr etc when used right. ogg vorbis aint a bad choice either for compression/quality ratios

this probably makes me sound like a douche; but im ok with that. fuck flac.

yeah... fuck flac!

LOL. Tbh... I don't have a problem with 192 or even 128s. Especially if its a DJ set or summing. Fuck it. It's only music. It's not the end of the world. If I'm playing out I'll definately reach for the 320s though.

Most people (The general shit munching public) cant tell Tuesday from Norway when it comes to audio quality anyway.

FLAC's are good, but not exactly practical for tune exporting because not many people have FLAC Playing software, however the sound is noticable up from 320.

@T-Leaf, i understand you want clarity from an actually well made song, but you'd be suprised at some of the intricacies a 320 can lose compared to .wav/FLAC

i just wuv wav, but mainly use 320mp3's for practicality

I just buy WAVs as they are more readily available than FLAC.

FLAC being half the size of WAV and exactly the same quality is a nice touch though.

wav v mp3... you can definately notce the audio difference in isolation... in a club, good luck! you can even see it if you compare the waveforms side-by-side!

i'll burn wavs if i can... but otherwise its all bout mp3's, vinyls dead bruv!

Suppose people saying quality isn't important are watching the beautifulest movies ripped on screener version on their cellphones screen; and read Shakespeare on awful supports with muddy typo(and for foreigners, with a terrible traduction).
If you like the vibe and just want to do like your friend, i mean "yeah man good vibe i listen to that too", i suppose 128k will be far enough.
If you really love music and listen carefully to it, god there is no way to say there is no difference between a shitty ripped mp3 and a wave/flac.
If you are a producer and listen only to poor quality mp3, i guess i have some really bad news.... You are missing so much...
With the poorest quality, i would say that you can't hear like 30%(even more) of the work that has been done by the artist... i mean wtf. You watch "half" a Da Vinci painting? "yeah the top layer of the Joconde is quite good mate i love it too".
Shame seriously.
I admit that i listen sometimes to shitty quality tunes on youtube or other support. When i love it i look for it on good quality.
BTW f*ck you tube as a music support. Good for staying tuned on what is released. it stops here.
My POV tho.

Suppose people saying quality isn't important are watching the beautifulest movies ripped on screener version on their cellphones screen; and read Shakespeare on awful supports with muddy typo(and for foreigners, with a terrible traduction).
If you like the vibe and just want to do like your friend, i mean "yeah man good vibe i listen to that too", i suppose 128k will be far enough.
If you really love music and listen carefully to it, god there is no way to say there is no difference between a shitty ripped mp3 and a wave/flac.
If you are a producer and listen only to poor quality mp3, i guess i have some really bad news.... You are missing so much...
With the poorest quality, i would say that you can't hear like 30%(even more) of the work that has been done by the artist... i mean wtf. You watch "half" a Da Vinci painting? "yeah the top layer of the Joconde is quite good mate i love it too".
Shame seriously.
I admit that i listen sometimes to shitty quality tunes on youtube or other support. When i love it i look for it on good quality.
BTW f*ck you tube as a music support. Good for staying tuned on what is released. it stops here.
My POV tho.

Well said, for me personally, after I listened to a flac version of a before shit quality song, I was blown away. I actually got rid of my <320 stuff honestly, I can't stand low quality now.

none of these apply to me - i just make sure the mp3s I mix with are 320 (or as close as possible)

Can't be bothered with all this flac business, just keep vinyls for the top quality shizzle

I agree but 30% is a bit steep bus driver, try 5 - 9%.
The LAME pro mp3 encoder works wonders when compressing your project ideas to mp3 format, if someone played me a 320 and a wav, i would say i cant tell much difference in the two, except the highend is marginally clearer in wav - 320 highend register is perfectly clear for its compresson ratio however, and as such i find it to be a fair tradeoff, i mean the change is miniscule. I've heard alot of drum n bass tracks and would like to say that alot of it doesnt need such fine iteration - they work well from 320 due to great studio engineering and so they should for (and i hate to say this) the mass consumption and throw away value that 320's have :(

practically, as storage gets cheaper and we start to wonder where all the harddrives are gonna be dumped that are old and redundant (when SSD is the new black) i will convert to wav's.
Also i love vinyl which is a big anti-contribution to this argument. but what ya gonna do? :)

*edit* i see bus driver was reffering to poor quality mp3... appologies, carry on :)

Last edited:
Yes, i use 320 a lot too, but never or rarely less. For the tracks that i want to study for producing i go for wave if possible.
I don't go for flac because it's not supported by every players and you don't find them a lot(and i'm too lazy to encode).
The real sh*t is that on beatport for example they make you pay (a lot) more for waves. Thieves music sellers.

Jay_and_Silent_Bob2.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE INTERNETZZZ?

Back
Top Bottom