Audio interfaces

Discussion in 'Production' started by boobjunkie, Oct 15, 2010.

1. boobjunkie

boobjunkie Active Member

Do you have one? If so, which one? Is it any good? Can you please recommend some more?

Anywhere between £200-£500 :)

thanks

2. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

Focusrite.

Check out al of their stuff. Im getting the Saffire 6 for £139. Best unit for that sort of price but if you've got more you can go for something better in their range.

3. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

for £500 you can take your pic of a huge number of really good quality interfaces, for that money i'd recomend looking @ an audiointerface/mixing desk combination, Yamaha (check N8) and MAudio (check NRV10) do really good ones, I've had a play with the NRV10, its a beautiful bit of kit and offers a huge amount, its next on my list after new monitors!

Personally I would figure out what you want from an interface, before getting one, if you just want need a Stereo output @ 24bit/96khz, and possibly a monitor & cue output, you wont need to spend anywhere near £200

4. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

5. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

Yeah would recommend one of the Motu interfaces!

6. djdevz

djdevz Member

sorry to be a noob, but im a novice when it comes to gear..

could someone jus explain the benefits of an audio interface and mixers?
    and maybe an example of how they would be used?

n im not hijacking this i just wanna know a quick answer :)

thanks!

7. Neomind

Neomind Too many skulls!">:O

motu has a big name in this side of the audio industry.

What I'd recommend is to do as much searchs as you can, mostly in the official forums. I almost get a Lexicon but when reading the official forums people were complaining about overheating problems... (it was a piece that was touching another piece, but was a fabric problem...)
    then found that most of the audio cards didn't have 64bit support which actually killed my mind too... cause im on win7 64bit...

ended up t.c. electronic desktop konnekt 6 for 200€ or so. Check it, it has some low-fi meters and records like a charm :)
    Anyway I haven't tried any other interfaces so can't really make a good comparison.

Hope that helped.

8. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

MOTU ULTRAlite MK3

shit is badass yo

9. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

M Audio Fast Track Ultra

I'm really happy with it, I couldn't ask for more

10. Labrat

Labrat Active Member

Anyone have a recommendation for a interface with a 1/4inch and a Mic input? Don't really know where to start with soundcards.
    Something cheap too

11. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

Like I said above, but if you want it cheap, get the lower priced version. My best advise tho? Go to guitar center or something of the like and look around for yourself, just know which brand is taboo and you'll do fine.

12. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

digidesign Protools Mbox 2 pro. Cost me around £500 and is a brilliant bit of kit.

13. mini_molko

mini_molko Member

I recently bought a Cakewalk UA-25EX - only around £130 and it includes 2 XLR / 1/4 Jack inputs. Does the job fine! :)

14. kama

kama benkama.net

I know 3 people who own a MOTU piece and 2 of them have had huge trouble with it. Snaps, changing the sample rate by itself, hanging up (requiring a reboot) etc.

15. Labrat

Labrat Active Member

So many to bloody choose. I like the m audio one but I'm going to be using the soundcard for sampling straight off vinyl into my maschine (when it arrives). Also recording of percussion and possibly guitars and other string instruments. Would you recommend this then? I don't wanna waste my time with something with crap quality so I'm being cautious.

16. boobjunkie

boobjunkie Active Member

thanks for all the responses guys. has anyone had any experience with the KRK ERGO? the shape & acoustics of my room atm are shite so the digital correction shit looks like it could be handy

17. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Yea great bits of kit, going to grab one of these at some point soon. I'm still running an old 001 system on a G4 mac (very old now!!), but have just got myself a new macbook, so time to upgrade and retire the G4.

The Mbox 3 is out now aswel, but the difference looks pretty minimal, looks like more of an attempt to get something out with Avid written on it instead of Digidesign.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Havn't heard much about them to be honest. Spec doesnt look bad, but theres a lot of competition around that price, so worth having a good browse around.

18. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

Yea man, i love the old digidesign systems, always propa reliable. i always wanted one of the 003 but not the rack system. i wanted the one with all the motorised faders and stuff, but it costs like over £1000 so definately out of the question. i doubt ill be upgrading anytime soon tho, mbox 2 is sooo reliable and has enuff ins and outs for all my needs

19. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

If you can afford get a digirack 003.
    It has great converters good enough for recording sounds at a quality standard

20. H*product

H*product Heavyweight product

everyone recommending the stuff they own ha.

decide exactly what you wnat. how many pre's, whether you want quality pre's or converters etc. once you know you can narrow the search alittle. if your really serious about it though 650 will get you an rme fireface. if not TC is good stuff. apogee is amazing if your on mac. and focusrite or presonus if oyur on a budget.