Audio Interface or Audio Card?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Nicholas Stigma, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Nicholas Stigma

Nicholas Stigma STEADY ON OL' CHAP

I realized to produce decent music you will need a Good gear.
    My productions lack of high and low frequency, and has a short limit of decibels.
    My main cource is to improve the rendering quality. Any suggestions?

2. Sinn-R

Sinn-R Member

I'll add a question to that: Can I use my NI Audio 6 for production?

3. Blasék

Blasék Member

I suggest to buy audio interface. It's more flexible i think. Which is better, depends a lot of your audio card/interface. I just purchased this audio interface: http://www.thomann.de/fi/maudio_fast_track_pro.htm
    It's cheap and decent and all I need to do is install drivers and connect that USB-wire into my CPU. Btw, Do you have PC or Mac, laptop or desktop?

4. neddez

neddez Member

i recently bought an audio card and wouldnt recommend it, not enough sockets

id defo get an interface and would look at focusrite

5. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

audio interface isnt going to do anything to improve your missing high/low freqz, or the volume of your tracks, sounds like you need to work on your mixdowns. that said, if you are using an onboard soundcard, its definitly a good idea to get an interface of some kind, it really doesnt matter wether its internal or USB/firewire, and Audiophile 2496 is a good PCI option to start with, plenty of USB interfaces to choose from at any price range

6. Nicholas Stigma

Nicholas Stigma STEADY ON OL' CHAP

What are the mixdowns?
    Yes I am working on the onboard soundcard. Not satisftied from it.

7. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Mixdowns are when you kinda blend the tune together dude :) Thats what makes all the top producers tunes sound so crisp, they have a good mixdown then a mastering engineer gives it one last bit of love and you have a nice sounding tune ! :D If you are wanting to know a bit more do some googling but its basically when you bring all the elements together and give each part a nice place to sit in the frequency spectrum, that would explain your lack of lows and highs I suspect!

As for an audio interface I don't have one myself. But I strongly recommend getting one for sure! I am using an onboard soundcard (ASIO4ALLv2) and it often gets a bit glitchy and laggy and can use a lot of strength on the CPU. I am wanting to get an interface one day to resolve this :)

8. Equilizyme

Equilizyme Member

Audio interface can also give you the option of using mic(s).

9. RedRavenRuler

RedRavenRuler boom baby

Everyone saying audio card has not enough inputs you can buy an RME card and in addition to that you buy whats called a breakout box (BOB) which gives you loads of inputs DIRECT into your motherboard... To me it seems to be the obvious best choice for low latency but if you'd like to have a portable solution an audio interface is the best way to go and I'd suggest anything from Focusrite.