Audio interface choice??

n.minas

Hi, i am currently exploring my choices in regards to an interface and would like some suggestions. The reason i am looking for one is that my onboard sound is causing a crackling noise through my monitors so all i really want my new interface to have is the ability of direct monitoring, i dont really need many inputs as i have a little mixer i use for that.

I have been searching and im not lazy but im baffled by the extensive range of products and varied prices so i was hoping if i told some people with better knowledge of what i want it for and what it need it to do for me i might have better results.

To start things off i was looking at this one

http://www.rocketmusic.co.uk/items/item.aspx?itemid=5359732

It has what i need but i dont really know how to make heads or tales of the specs or if i in fact, can get better for cheaper : )

Sorry for the newbie type question guys but i hope you can help me make the right decision.

Thanks

PC specs are...

SEAGATE BARRACUDA ES.2 - 500 GB - SATA ST3500320NS
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 DHX Memory Kit
Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro Modular 700W PSU
iNTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR E8500 3.16 GHZ
ASUS P5QC iP45 LGA775 motherboard (I have firewire,usb and a spare pci slot)
Titan fenrir cooler
PNY nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3 G\Card

And all i really want it for is an interface for my (active) monitors as my onboard sound is causing noise from my PC. I have a little mixing desk i can use for inputs and what not so there of no importance to me really, i just want my sound to be crisp and my onboard aint doin it.

Just seen this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M-Audio-FastT...wItem&pt=Midi_Controllers&hash=item3a5a61e339

Seems to have what i need and is half the price of the other one i mentioned above, Views anyone???

Last edited:
Hi, i am currently exploring my choices in regards to an interface and would like some suggestions. The reason i am looking for one is that my onboard sound is causing a crackling noise through my monitors so all i really want my new interface to have is the ability of direct monitoring, i dont really need many inputs as i have a little mixer i use for that.

I have been searching and im not lazy but im baffled by the extensive range of products and varied prices so i was hoping if i told some people with better knowledge of what i want it for and what it need it to do for me i might have better results.

To start things off i was looking at this one

http://www.rocketmusic.co.uk/items/item.aspx?itemid=5359732

It has what i need but i dont really know how to make heads or tales of the specs or if i in fact, can get better for cheaper : )

Sorry for the newbie type question guys but i hope you can help me make the right decision.

Thanks

If it is mainly for your monitoring then the link in ur post would be perfect for that. its got zero latency which means whilst your producing/recording there wont be any delay in what is playing/recording and what you hear. it has both jack and rca outs so you can go directly to your monitors from there. And considering the price i think its quite a bargain for what you're looking for. only problem i would have is the lack of inputs but as you said that isnt what you're looking for.
Hope that helps mate

If it is mainly for your monitoring then the link in ur post would be perfect for that. its got zero latency which means whilst your producing/recording there wont be any delay in what is playing/recording and what you hear. it has both jack and rca outs so you can go directly to your monitors from there. And considering the price i think its quite a bargain for what you're looking for. only problem i would have is the lack of inputs but as you said that isnt what you're looking for.
Hope that helps mate

actually the zero latency that it mentions is just for monitoring the inputs, which any card can do really as that process doesnt take place within the computer. latency will always exist when a signal goes into or out of a computer.
having said that, this particular card seems ok for what you want it, so go for it (y)

actually the zero latency that it mentions is just for monitoring the inputs, which any card can do really as that process doesnt take place within the computer. latency will always exist when a signal goes into or out of a computer.
having said that, this particular card seems ok for what you want it, so go for it (y)

My misunderstanding, cheers mr moriarty!! All i know is that with zero latency i can plug a geeetar/mic into my mbox and then it comes out of the speakers at the same time i play it. where as it used to have a half second delay lol.

I'm currently using this on:
ua25.jpg

Before that I was using the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Still good and cheap. I can highly recommend that on:
m-audio-fast-track-pro.jpg

Last edited:
How important is it to have a good sound card for music production? I have a shitty soundcard right now and im thinking of upgrading. Will I notice a big difference?

It depends on what you are doin.
If you are just a Laptop Musician (I mean, if you don't record, maybe sampling from old vinyl or using analog synths) the interface isn't that important for you.
If that's the case you should spent your money for a good and neutral pair of monitors.
If you record some stuff you should definetly get a good Interface (quality and without noises).
I also use the MIDI out of the Edirol UA-25 to control my Nordlead, because my USB and Firewires are out of range.

A few years ago i bought a digidesign mbox 2 pro and will never really need to upgrade for my music production. only really record live vocals/guitar or decks so got more than enuff ins and outs :) all depends on what u use for production though. I have to say that recording mixes now is a lot better quality than when i used to record through my line in on the internal soundcard. Would def reccomend any digidesign product, altho i think they've changed their name now. I always use protools to record all my live stuff, ie vocals/guitars. i also do a lot of my mixdowns and mastering in protools.

Back
Top Bottom