ATTENTION PROMOTERS: your help is needed please

Gumby

VIP Junglist
If anyone can help my sister out, I'd really appreciate it.

lew said:
I'm Stage and Production Management student, currently in my final year and working on my major assignment.

For my assignment i've chosen to set up my own production company and launch my first gig. I need to detail the exact process that someone has to go through in order to launch a company; from the boring legal processes to choosing a name, receive funding, marketing and publicity - you get the idea!

I'd like to hear from any promoters on the forum who have experience in these fields who can help me. Any information will help. I'm not actually launching the company or a gig, it's just an exercise. This, however is definitely something i'd consider doing in the future though, so getting my assignment right is really important.

Could anyone with information/experience/hints and pointers please post them in this thread, or send me/Gumby a private message.
Any info is a huge help!

Thanks,
Lou

help a sister out!

cheers :1:

i run 2 different dnb nights every night ive ever done, the club has been between 80% capacity or 100% with shit loads of people turned away cos we were full. This is based on my experiences, sure loadsa other promoters on here have excellent tips that will help you aswell

1. Name for night
2. General plan for what u want the night to be, who your aiming it that, and what your realistic expections are of a turnout etc.
3. Choose a club to host it (carefully choose the club, location, popularity, suitability), speak to the owner and see if he'll let you book the club for a proposed date.
4. Book the Dj's and Mc's through their agencies or contact artist directly
5. pay deposits to agency to secure booking.
6. Flyer Design / Poster Design
7. Printing of flyers.
8. Promote the hell out of it. (go to all other nights that attract the crowd your hoping to get, and flyer the hell out of it).
9. FACEBOOK, add shit loads of people from your city, friends of friend, join dnb groups, groups bout other music nights. invite loads and loads of people etc.
10. Use 'dont panic' thousands of people will see your flyers after nights out.
11. Poster the hell out of your town!
12. Wait nervously....and watch the punters pour in.
13. Count the cash!!

i run 2 different dnb nights every night ive ever done, the club has been between 80% capacity or 100% with shit loads of people turned away cos we were full. This is based on my experiences, sure loadsa other promoters on here have excellent tips that will help you aswell

1. Name for night
2. General plan for what u want the night to be, who your aiming it that, and what your realistic expections are of a turnout etc.
3. Choose a club to host it (carefully choose the club, location, popularity, suitability), speak to the owner and see if he'll let you book the club for a proposed date.
4. Book the Dj's and Mc's through their agencies or contact artist directly
5. pay deposits to agency to secure booking.
6. Flyer Design / Poster Design
7. Printing of flyers.
8. Promote the hell out of it. (go to all other nights that attract the crowd your hoping to get, and flyer the hell out of it).
9. FACEBOOK, add shit loads of people from your city, friends of friend, join dnb groups, groups bout other music nights. invite loads and loads of people etc.
10. Use 'dont panic' thousands of people will see your flyers after nights out.
11. Poster the hell out of your town!
12. Wait nervously....and watch the punters pour in.
13. Count the cash!!

I'll help, but if you get a list of questions I'll be happy and it'll be easier (and I can make it more relevant to what she needs) rather than just 'tell me all about it'.

:)

Easy Gumby... i wrote this a while ago... http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=61419&highlight=promoting

it should give your sis a general idea...

With regards to the legal side of things... a "LTD" company is advised. The process for going about starting a LTD company is different in other countries. But you can set one up over the net for as little as £60. This will just safeguard you if it goes wrong and you make big losses. You can just close the company and make it go bankrupt. Also make it VAT registered. This way any expenses you can claim back VAT on.
Keep the taxman happy.... especially after the first year you need keep an eye on how much your earning and spending.

Other than that its all in what i wrote previously... if she has any more questions just give me a hola..

With regards to the legal side of things... a "LTD" company is advised. The process for going about starting a LTD company is different in other countries. But you can set one up over the net for as little as £60. This will just safeguard you if it goes wrong and you make big losses. You can just close the company and make it go bankrupt. Also make it VAT registered. This way any expenses you can claim back VAT on.
Keep the taxman happy.... especially after the first year you need keep an eye on how much your earning and spending.

LTD companies are also considered individuals legally therefore any legal suits are against the company and not the individual(s) (this is slightly over simplified but still correct).

I'm not a promoter but I do know a fair bit about the law (in particular intellectual property, licensing and entertainment law) and finance and taxation. If you have any specific questions regarding these you can send them my way.

edit: I just noticed someone mentioned about countries, what country is this project based in? I know the UK legislation and Taxation and how the US differs (which isn't that much apart from a few arbitrary things), would that help? as long as it's a common law country then the difference will be minor.

the villa is sweet as man. theyve done a great job sound proofing it and the interior has been completely revamped. its classy as.

theyve changed the stage into a dance floor and the djs now play from that bar above the stage.

nextmen tore it up too (y)

coming to bad robot tonight? at shape only $5!!

thanks everyone for your help so far!! all your info has been relevant.
D i'll be in contact shortly with some more specific questions.

:D

Back
Top Bottom