Asking for feedback on Drumstep/Drum and Bass track

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Altudio, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Altudio

Altudio New Member

Hey guys, this is my last production.

I've been producting for 4 years now. I'd like to know if i'm going to the right direction and what are my mistakes.
    If you took the time to listen to this track entirely i hope you enjoyed it and i would be very glad to read your feedback, feel free to bring any form of critisism. Thank you very much for this help.

2. mugatu

mugatu Verva Music

What other music do you make if you make other styles and what music do you listen to? (headphone listening) So ill start on the drums, i like the percussion and rides, but im not digging the snare to much, you wouldnt need too much of a tail on it as youve got lots of other parts filling that space but maybe a little longer, the stuff i make now i really like a lot of movement and pump in the drums, i sidechain a lot of breaks rides everything to the kick and snare via a trigger channel, ill have up to 4 trigger channels giving me different movements, like a kick channel, kick and snare, 4x4, and stuff for bass... if you dont do anything like that maybe have a play using stuff like that? Its helped my drum creating. So the bass and sound design is okay, its a catchy tune very detective movie style. But id i like a bit more variation, transition stuff. The idea of the track is good! Keep it up mate

3. Altudio

Altudio New Member

I mostly make drum & bass, but i also like to make ambient music and i started making psytrance recently.
    I can't make real dnb thought because i can't manage to end up with a decent neurofunk bass on my synth plugin.
    I listen to most subgenres of dnb, drumstep, dubstep, edm, progressive psytrance and psychedelic ambient.
    I worked a lot on the drums for this track (well, same goes for most of my tracks). I didnt really made a drum and bass drum break though, because i simply took the "drumstep" break and rearranged it to have a drum & bass rythm, so i guess it diminishes the quality of the dnb drums and the overall interest of the track.
    I didnt really understand what you adviced me about the drums, because i don't really speak english very well, especially when it comes to technical stuff.
    Did you suggest me to shorten the snare and to work on a sidechain for the hihats and rides ? Well that's what i understood anyways. Those seem like smart suggestions.
    I made the snare quiet long though to obtain a more drumstep-sounding drum.
    During production, i was really surprised by the continuity of the track even so i didnt worked on the transitions yet. I was probably wrong not to consider working on this aspect of the track. I think it must be the case on most of my other tracks too.
    I'm interested on what do you mean by detective movie style though, i didn't really sense a detective movie athmosphere on this track haha.
    Thanks for the feedback mate, i really appreciate it.

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I happen to like the snare although feel it could do with a small boost in the higher frequencies. overall not a bad sound, maybe a bit too clinical, could do with a bit of grit to dirty it up a little, right now its all a bit nicely nicely.I prefer my drum and bass to make me feel nasty, like im gonna take a shit on a nuns chest or somethin!