As a Producer, do you find yourself using LOTS of drums, breaks, pads, etc?

VersatileBJN

I'm currently in the process of learning how to make music. I have loads of sample packs, breaks, loops, synths, pads, etc.

Do I really need a solid library of stuff to refer to when producing or do you keep a small amount of drums that you really like to work with and go from there? Maybe I should listen more closely to some of my favorite DnB artists to see if they tend to stick with the same breaks/etc or if they're all over the place.

Thanks guys.

i dont really use samples anymore.
apart from individual drum hits thats about it.
I rarely use breaks anymore i prefer to make my own. its difficult, takes a long time but i just prefer it.

and when im making drums i tend to have atleast 7 different kits. normally more...

i dont really use samples anymore.
apart from individual drum hits thats about it.
I rarely use breaks anymore i prefer to make my own. its difficult, takes a long time but i just prefer it.

and when im making drums i tend to have atleast 7 different kits. normally more...

i combine both my own with samples tbh

drum and bass is prodominantly sample based music production, so i dont really think it sounds good when u make ur own loops unless ur a pro who really understands it. all sample based music still takes skill and talent imo (unless ur purely mixing loops with loops, thats lame).

good that ur trying all the same sam. n you may well be suceeding, as i havent heard ur tracks yet haha

yeah haha i do take ages to finish them.
mainly because i dont make drum presets i think.
I always like to use different drums now.
but i feel making my own loops is building my talent...i think some people wont believe in the tune im workin on at the moment that i didnt use any breaks.
If they dont believe me i will prove it aswell. hahah.

I personally dont use many samples for the main bits of music, for example, Bass, i use lots of sin waves with different distortions or just manipluate them in different ways manually. I do this with most of my things to be honest, as i use reason, its quite easy to develop the sound your looking for quite easily using Thor or Malstrom. I do use a few drums but usually ill open my stock drum preset and then develop onto that once ive got my break sorted it. I do always create my own breaks as i think thats a large part of creating drum and bass. however, i do use samples for the "production finish", e.g. the occasional vocal or little hi end stabs here and there.

it's near impossible to get the grit into drums without using a break

not really geez.
you can make your own shufley sounds if you use the right techniques e.g Pitch, velocity, delay(i rarely use), Good Eqing and Filtering.
it just depends really man.

yeah bass samples tend to be a bad idea.
i supposed if you filtered them added some fx and kinda turnt them into a pad it would be pretty cool

yeah but that won't get the grit, you need a nice old funk break or a splash of amen

if you got the right kit man you can replicate that sound.
if you record your own hits try moving the mic to different places you get a very different sound.

Jazz kits tend to help a lot. to make it work even more i suppose you could buy an ollddddddskool compressor from like the 80s or whatever to give it the right funky motown feel.

To get that extra grit and energy I usually just high pass an old amen jungle break behind it, helps alot

yeah hi passing an amen break works well.

have a go at making your own loops though man...it adds abit of originality.
although there is nothing wrong with sampling a break

i watch redtube and masturbate frequently to carmella bing the queen of milfs

Slow down on those beers mate:gslayer:

I guess it's pretty satisfying to create eveything from scratch.
I try and program most of the main hits I want, because I want a certain sound, but I find layering some breaks underneath can tie everything together. Especially splashy sounds.
There's definitely nothing wrong with using some breaks to get started.

As far as bass and synth etc I would recommend getting a few synths and learning how to make your own, but then I just really enjoy the idea of coming up with a cool original sound (one day)

I say it never hurts to have an abundance of samples at your disposal. Its cool to create sounds from scratch and its good to have stuff you might need for later too. Always have the best drum hits you can find and make sure things sound as good as possible.

Back
Top Bottom