Artisan Samples

Discussion in 'Production' started by Lunos, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Lunos

Lunos Active Member

i was just watching the episode of Family Guy with the Artisan samples in and i was wondering how Lomax uses the samples.

i might sound like a complete idiot (quite true) but i would be really keen to know as im starting to produce beats and im interested in how it is done. peace all (y)

2. perspective

perspective Sex Drugs & Sausage Rolls

1. Record/Extract sample from DVD/whatever it was on
    2. Cut up into smaller pieces (e.g. 'not', 'so', 'fast' etc...)
    3. Play as individual samples.

So by cutting out bits in between the words and pitching up or down it is possible to alter the timing and speed of the sample.

There are a million ways of doing this, for example in FL Studio you can use SliceX, Fruity Slicer etc... Or you can chop it up in Audacity/<Insert your audio editor here>, or in Reason you would use Dr. Rex (I think, don't know reason all that well).

3. Lunos

Lunos Active Member

TOP MAN.

is this how Andy C made is own version of Renegade Snares Foul play mix?
    by speeding it up n shit right?

4. perspective

perspective Sex Drugs & Sausage Rolls

Well what I explained above is pretty much the basics of sampling... So I'd imagine so. Anything that has been ripped from something and then rearranged, pitched, sped up or down (without pitching), etc has probably been through a similar process of slicing and adjusting.

You might find this video interesting if you haven't already seen it... It's about the Amen break and how it's sampling and rearrangement was a big part of the formation of hip hop, jungle and eventually dnb.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

5. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

I think Omni Trio or Foul Play would have done this especially for him. Just upped the tempo of the original DAT without altering the pitch then cut a plate.

6. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

pretty sure subsonic said andy did it himself in something like cool edit, uped the pitch, but locked the key so it doesn't sound like chipmunks.

7. Lunos

Lunos Active Member

do you think it would be legal to do this yourself? i.e i have Ren' Snares Foul play and if i was able to do the same would it be alright? what do ya think

8. jay walker

jay walker 1/2 of Passive/Aggressive

I have pitched up a renegade snares version for myself, as long as you legitimately buy the vinyl, mp3, cd whatever, and no money is made off what you do, i see no harm :D

9. Lunos

Lunos Active Member

yeh man i paid £20 for foul play mix but its soooo slow even with mk5gs extra pitch its to slow and then it sounds like flipper being fisted lol