Artificial - Menacing Vacuum Cleaner

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Artificial2, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Artificial2

Artificial2 Member

This is my 4th attempt at trying to make a DnB tune, so try not to laugh. I called it Menacing Vacuum Cleaner because at least part of the tune reminds me of those old vacuum cleaners with a headlight at the front, so that you could hoover in the dark of course. Nah, actually I just like the name.

It's quite slow at 160 bpm and there's no melody whatsoever. I'd just like to know if people think this sounds quite interesting, a mess or repetetive boredom.

I used FL by the way and it's not even EQed as I don't really know what I'm doing. I listened to it with headphones and it's not too bad, so please have a listen and don't be cruel. ;)

Cheers.

http://www.musicv2.com/listen.php?m=56945

version 2: http://www.musicv2.com/listen.php?m=57037

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. Artificial2

Artificial2 Member

Hmm, 16 views and 3 listens. Maybe I'm too self-deprocating. It's not that bad basically. There's quite a bit of variation in there for example.

I said don't be cruel but if you think it's totally shit then please let me know. What could I do to improve it? Feedback please. :)

3. thin king

thin king Member

wowsers thats some heavy bass nice work on that front, the snare is way too flat though and does get a bit boring quite quickly - it needs some change ups here and there so get some drum loops and get cutting up - keep at mate its not bad for a newbe - oh and the best way to get more feedback is to comment as much as poss on other peoples stuff then they will return the favour!!

4. Artificial2

Artificial2 Member

Ah cheers bro, much appreciated. Glad you quite like the bass. Yeah I should really have used drum loops rather than trying to make my own beat. I take it you mean I need to use the fruity slicer in FL to edit some drum loops for variation. I think I know how to do that, so I'll get on it. :)

Thanks again man. Peace.

5. thin king

thin king Member

hey you don't always have to use drum loops - I like to make my own as much as poss using battery, but sometimes you can't beat a breaks fill here and there it just helps to add interest and if done well - really can make a tune and yeah FL slicer will do just fine - keep at it!

6. Artificial2

Artificial2 Member

Nice one mate. I'm having a go at making a second version of it. I started by taking out all the drums and replaced them with an old school style amen break, which I rearranged sections of for variation. Listening to it though the variation doesn't notice much and it just sounds like a repetetive drum loop. So I'm gonna try either cutting it more ruthlessly, using several different breaks or (as you've just suggested) use my own drum loop and use a break as a fill now and then. I've also changed one of the synth sounds a bit because it sounded particularly lame and added some filtering aswell. To make that snare fatter I'll add some layers to it.

I hope it sounds like I'm learning. :D This tune is never gonna be any good but I'll tweak it a bit more anyway.

Cheers. :)

7. JunglelisticG

JunglelisticG I ♥ Drum'N'Bass

Is it still up? I cant hear anythink :confused:

I might just be jhavin a blond moment :lol:

8. Artificial2

Artificial2 Member