Arranging

I get ya but it's more that, for example, I enjoy learning music theory and this leads me to write some chord progessions on a piano and an interesting melody around those chords. Then I try to make a tune from this and struggle like fuck to reconcile this with my idea of a drum and bass tune. Then I stick on Bullhead by Misanthrop, skank the fuck out, then ponder my motives for writing chords and melody in the first place.

Watch Audio's masterclass on Headroom, the Bass is an A note, all of it :)

I get ya but it's more that, for example, I enjoy learning music theory and this leads me to write some chord progessions on a piano and an interesting melody around those chords. Then I try to make a tune from this and struggle like fuck to reconcile this with my idea of a drum and bass tune. Then I stick on Bullhead by Misanthrop, skank the fuck out, then ponder my motives for writing chords and melody in the first place.

To be honest man, when making dark stuff working in small intervals is key I think. Add slight pitch bend to certain notes to create some movement. When I make rolling stuff I tend to stick with D and make loads of modulations.

Am I the only one here that hasn't got a clue what kind of notes he is using? I just make what sounds right to me. Honestly all this theory didn't really set me to work.. I couldn't care less if a whole tune was an A bass or a D with modulations?? I just want it to sound fucking badass, and if that involves patterns that would sound AWFUL without automations, then.. who cares, cause u do add automations!!

I guess what I am trying to say here is, don't get too attached to the books and the rules. Make a fucking cool bass and work with that, once you have cool synth going the key will come natural..

As for the rest of this thread, I am having difficulties finishing dubs aswell.. But I guess this has to do with boredom a lot. Making sweeps and atmo's and endlessly eqing/compressing previous sounds until they seem right.. Just gotta push on a bit. I like the stripping down method, I'm using that a lot too. Just make your drop a few bars too long and start subtracting stuff and adding some subtle changes will usually bring you to a logical-sounding breakdown :)

creative block can be a bitch. I tend to just leave it for a few days, bounce the song down and put it on my iPod to listen to every now and then but I won't even open cubase until I feel I know what to do next even if it is small tasks like adding one or two FX.

creative block can be a bitch. I tend to just leave it for a few days, bounce the song down and put it on my iPod to listen to every now and then but I won't even open cubase until I feel I know what to do next even if it is small tasks like adding one or two FX.

haha, i'm with you on that 1 mate. though sometimes i won't get back to it (ever).
actually, nearly always, haha.
i get into it for a while then i just get stuck in a rut.
i have just almost completed my second tune. but i'm over it now and gonna try to do something else!!!!!

putemindaintro

haha, i'm with you on that 1 mate. though sometimes i won't get back to it (ever).
actually, nearly always, haha.
i get into it for a while then i just get stuck in a rut.
i have just almost completed my second tune. but i'm over it now and gonna try to do something else!!!!!

yeah i know what you mean man, i tend to be able to get on a roll and have a decent session before getting the block again haha

To be honest man, when making dark stuff working in small intervals is key I think. Add slight pitch bend to certain notes to create some movement. When I make rolling stuff I tend to stick with D and make loads of modulations.

I've always wondered if that was the trick to producing certain vibes in tunes, thanks for your input.

Does the same hold true for "complextro" like arrangements in that all the bass hits are really one note, but from different instruments varying (heavy) modulation/pitching? *Sorry if a bit off-topic.

Sometimes when creating a 'monotanous' track I'll replace one 'grittier' layers with another layer that is either a minor 3rd or a 5th above.
Then I'll modulate the pitch of the low note between the 2 intervals.

Try learning some minor scales I think they work well. I've learn't the Natural and Harmonic minor scales in every key then tried switching between each scale. Basically starting with A then switching between each scale that has an A in its scale.
It sounds kinda lame but I think it works.

Back
Top Bottom