Arrangements/Restrictions in producing DnB

Sammy Dexcell

Stop editing my profile Smarty!
VIP Junglist
So I started a track yesterday on the drop, got a set of 16s done and looped it, to listen over etc
Coming back to it today I realised I had pretty much made the chilled section that usually comes after a set of 16s. So I ignored it and worked on a simple intro and build up.
When I made the drop I found that this new section now sounds more like the usual set of 16s after a drop (a beat down section where most of the stuff is stripped out and its just rolling dnb)

Then it occurred to me I have a section that should be a beat down section at the beginning of a drop and then another slightly fuller one after that??? Yet, looping it in FL sounds good but overall as a tune if I were to say its finished it just doesn't seem right??
I've not heard a track that drops into a build up which then builds up again into a fuller section yet never properly has the feel of a drop?

Which ultimately brought me onto thinking why is it that we have to follow this 'formula' that most dnb is made to? And if there were no reference points, i.e other tunes that do this, then what would be the norm today???

Think I'm just looking a lil too deep into it!! Fuck producing at night! lol :gaywhite:

Oi mate, I guess it really depends on what your targeting dancefloor stuff needs proper structure for both the dj and the crowd to know/feel whats comming up.

When I produce though (ambient) I dont even look at structure for a second since its for listening mainly i just go with what sounds best in my opinion.

Cheers

Oi mate, I guess it really depends on what your targeting dancefloor stuff needs proper structure for both the dj and the crowd to know/feel whats comming up.

When I produce though (ambient) I dont even look at structure for a second since its for listening mainly i just go with what sounds best in my opinion.

Cheers

Yea this is very true, I guess you can add that as another forced restriction to conforming to a 'formula'.

So I started a track yesterday on the drop, got a set of 16s done and looped it, to listen over etc
Coming back to it today I realised I had pretty much made the chilled section that usually comes after a set of 16s. So I ignored it and worked on a simple intro and build up.
When I made the drop I found that this new section now sounds more like the usual set of 16s after a drop (a beat down section where most of the stuff is stripped out and its just rolling dnb)

Then it occurred to me I have a section that should be a beat down section at the beginning of a drop and then another slightly fuller one after that??? Yet, looping it in FL sounds good but overall as a tune if I were to say its finished it just doesn't seem right??
I've not heard a track that drops into a build up which then builds up again into a fuller section yet never properly has the feel of a drop?

Which ultimately brought me onto thinking why is it that we have to follow this 'formula' that most dnb is made to? And if there were no reference points, i.e other tunes that do this, then what would be the norm today???

Think I'm just looking a lil too deep into it!! Fuck producing at night! lol :gaywhite:

I think its the fact that we listen to a repetitive music. We want our music to follow the formula so it can be mixed into a set. With that being said its your song do what you want with it. It is music and unless your bound by responsibility to make your song into the status quo, you can do what you want.

I think its the fact that we listen to a repetitive music. We want our music to follow the formula so it can be mixed into a set. With that being said its your song do what you want with it. It is music and unless your bound by responsibility to make your song into the status quo, you can do what you want.

All very true points!
That's what I'm aiming this at, I try make tunes that have a wow factor or are complicated/slightly straying from the status quo BUT when making these 'mixable' tracks you have to have the DJ friendly music. Its a chache 22!
I guess I'm just getting frustrated with auto-piloting and finishing a track on the instinct that I've heard others do a similar thing. I end up trying do that similar thing from memory and then I find through my attempts at recreation I've managed to create my own unique style. I just wonder where my tracks would go if I had been locked away with no 'contamination'

Last edited:
I rubbed my crystal ball and asked the sprits. They told me you would make electronic yodel music. If you had no contamination of influence you would be currently the leader of yodel music. Millions of new listeners would be banging out to your greatest hits at polka festivals.

On a more serious note you would probably sound like an experimental artist. A unique sound with some interesting things going on but nothing special. I think what you should be able to reflect on is you are already at level of musical competence that you should try and break the mold. At least once in a while. Remember bodyrock? People loved it and I still do.

I rubbed my crystal ball and asked the sprits. They told me you would make electronic yodel music. If you had no contamination of influence you would be currently the leader of yodel music. Millions of new listeners would be banging out to your greatest hits at polka festivals.

On a more serious note you would probably sound like an experimental artist. A unique sound with some interesting things going on but nothing special. I think what you should be able to reflect on is you are already at level of musical competence that you should try and break the mold. At least once in a while. Remember bodyrock? People loved it and I still do.

I'm going to have to make some yodel dnb fusion now. You've forced my hand. I even have some yodelling samples somewhere from my travels in Russia lol

I hear ya tho it was some late night pondering as i got confused over my crappy arrangement. The tune I'm doing still doesn't have an impact-full drop. Just sounds good if i play it from the drop and loop it. Maybe it needs to just begin on the drop from the get go.....now that's something different! A tune that begins as a drop and then just loops and loops for 6mins ill call it 'No breakdowns allowed'. Think I figured out a new style! Cheers! :beers:

Last edited:
I'm always battling the what's easy for the dj -> what seems fun or what progresses well. And more often then not leaning towards what will make my track work as a stand alone piece of music leaving a slight awareness that it should be mixable in some capacity. I've been of the mindset that if I keep my head and keep making music the way I enjoy, it'll be appreciated.

These formulas weren't always the standard. Feel the big break downs after the intro were far less common in the 90s (at least of the records I've managed to keep :lol:).

i have heard a few tracks that drop... but say just with the sub, then 32 or 48 later proper drop and it catches u by suprise and sounds fucking sick.... all formulas work well, if executed right

Do you mix yourself? In that case you've probably got a [slightly] better feel for change and repetition, structure and surprises than the average clubber.

Just do what feels best and don't worry too much about the "correct structure", as long as you don't go into free jazz country you'll be fine, and if your tune is good enough to be played out the DJ's will pobably have listened through your tune a few times and know where and how to mix it in.

You don't need to follow a formula if you can create something new and better
Being original can be even better sometimes if it works!
That's how formulas get created

I've been making a lot of those "dropping to a build-up" kinds of tunes lately. Also, I've been into harmonic mixing lately. So I guess if you do long blends and have harmonic tunes it's better. A lot of calibre tunes are like this imo.

This way I can keep mixing the tunes until the new tune comes up "full force" and not do a cut at the drop.

Back
Top Bottom