Are your main drops always 64 bars?

mr meh

VIP Junglist
So i always thought the rule of thumb with dnb drops/main sections is that they are 64 bars long (4 x 16 bar sections)

Since i started to learn how to count bars i realised that theres plenty of tunes out there by big name producers which only have 48 bar drops, or some with 96 bars or whatever

Do you ever differ from that arrangement, or do you always go with 64 bars?

it depends on the tune your making.
Some tunes have a lot of variation and stay interested and fresh for more bars than 64.
while in another could only have 32 bard than a short break another 32 breaks and then the full length break for instance.

most of the time I do use 64 bars though, while my best tracks have a different arrangement.

it depends on the tune your making.
Some tunes have a lot of variation and stay interested and fresh for more bars than 64.
while in another could only have 32 bard than a short break another 32 breaks and then the full length break for instance.

most of the time I do use 64 bars though, while my best tracks have a different arrangement.

yeah this basically.

for me i'd probs go with this as a rule of thumb (there are no rules):
if its just a lil jump up tune or whatever... 32 bars
some dancefloor stuff perhaps.... 48
more melodic stuff.... 64
some epic orchestral intro or something..... 96

I try and completly avoid having a set ammount of bars for my drops, fuck the rules and all that :lol:. I just go till i think its getting repetative/boring as long as they end in a mulitple of 4 im happy. Is there any problem with this or does it just make your tunes abit more dj unfriendly?

Last edited:
someone posted somewhere that a 64 bar drop is more DJ "Friendly" than some random length.
i dont dj so i havent got a clue if that makes any sense.
but there aint no rules

64 is quite long for a club track, 48 is perfect, but 32 is acceptable

Break released "let it happen" originally with a 16 bar intro which was hard to mix. I think the VIP was released with 32 so DJs could mix easier

depends what track your making, if you want a dj to mix your track, youre pretty restricted to 16bar(multiples of) sections.

otherwise fuck it go mad

just wondering why does it need to be 16 bars or multiples to mix?

it just makes things easier because most DNB will be structed in multiples of 16

remember as a DJ you can't see the waveform of a track you're mixing in, so if you don't know how long the intro is, you've gotta go by ear

64 bars intro with some drums just in the second 32 bars before the drop is the dj friendliest since these tunes are the best ones to doubledrop without much knowing the tune... and the dj will always know that it drops around 01:30...
but it all depends on what you want to do and how you feel, don't even think of the standards... fuck the standards.

it just makes things easier because most DNB will be structed in multiples of 16

remember as a DJ you can't see the waveform of a track you're mixing in, so if you don't know how long the intro is, you've gotta go by ear

Well, if you know your tunes well enough you're going to intuitively know how long the different parts are and you'll be able to mix those quirky tracks.

And lot of CD players and all the digital Dj'ing software actually lets you see the waveform as well.

I don't think I ever make my main drops the same amount. Usually a multiple of 32 however..,.
Sometimes I will have a 16 bar drop, followed by a variation with another 16 bars, and then maybe a 32 bar break
Or sometimes I will have two 32 bar main drops followed by a 32 bar break...
It all depends but I don't think it matters as long as you stick to a typical song stucture.

Back
Top Bottom