Are you using loops or prgramming your own beats in your tracks???

Rezonate

I listen to as many of the new tracks that I can that are posted up here and I am interested to find out how many people are writing there own drums from scratch or using a mixture of programmed drums and percussive loops etc.

I'll be the first to admit I tend to do it the lazy way get a loop, high pass and beef it up with a kick and a snare and some percussion but this does not create a particularly original sounding break so I have been working to try and get my knowledge of drum programming better.

For those of you lacking knowledge in this area as well I found this link pretty useful as it covers some basic breaks http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/drum_patterns.php

If anyone else has got any useful links on drums please post em up :)

http://soundcloud.com/djrezonate

Last edited:
all about programming your own really, have been known to use a break or two if i find a really sick one, only with loads of processing though obviously

Mainly single hits, I like messing around with sampled breaks like you find floating round the net to make shuffles sometimes. But then i'm sort of chopping them up to make short hits I guess.

In my last tune I made a break from single hits in battery and then chopped that up to layer with a kick, that was quite fun

i layer like two snares/kicks each from various sample packs, then ill make a percussion loop from cymbal/shaker hits, then ill layer some high passed breaks on it to make everything shiny and rolly or w/e.

if you are not looking at both options (using breaks or only single hits), you are shorting your creativity. you can get great results from both ways.

if you are not looking at both options (using breaks or only single hits), you are shorting your creativity. you can get great results from both ways.

This is really great advice. Look at it in a more general way. Every time you run into a "should I do this, or that?" type of question, then take the time to explore both ways, cos otherwise you are missing out on HALF of the possibilities.

i basically make my tunes from the nu:tone and danny byrd sample packs but i use bits from both so it sounds original

I use single hits for all my main sounds and sometimes I also cut hi hats and the noise after them out of loops to fill up my pattern, but they never have an important function. Except for that I never really liked cutting out of loops(kicks/snares) , I find those to never 'fit in' with the rest of my sounds.

i basically make my tunes from the nu:tone and danny byrd sample packs but i use bits from both so it sounds original

I use thos two packs a lot as well some good drum hits in there :)

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

Cheers for the response people. Good to see what other producers are doing with regards to drums. Working on a track at the minute with the drums written from scratch. Will hopefully find some time to get it completed and will post it up.

Back
Top Bottom