Drum & Bass Are you keeping up with new releases on vinyl? Let yourself be known

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Agent Smith, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

Self explanatory title.

Are you buying new dnb releases on vinyl?
    How much do you spend?
    Favourite go-to labels etc.

The reasoning for this thread is because of my lack of buying anything new recently, or certainly new releases.

I've actually been spending around the same amount of money every month but via discogs & nipping into the odd record store, looking for that gem that either isn't in the stack, or replacing something I have battered over the last few years.

If money was no option I would be buying everything left right and centre, but for me personally a lot of the older records mean more to me, either for my first experiences out on nights out, or just being classics.

I'm interested to see how many people pay that little extra for records considering how much music only gets released digitally as well.

Lets hear your thoughts

2. iamdjsimm

iamdjsimm Well-Known Member

3. Mr_Whitty

Mr_Whitty Active Member

Yes I spend up to 60-70 a week on redeye lately. Plus I snare the odd promo from the store shops when I can

4. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

I try to stay on top of things.
    Plus you know my thoughts on potentially making the digital / serato or traktor switch this year.

Although vinyl prices have gone up, I still buy what I want to have in my collection. But I don't buy tunes every week like I have don't in years gone by.
    I am getting better at waiting a few weeks till there are at least 3 or 4 vinyl that I want, plus its more cost effective buying 3 or more etc...... I don't mean to teach you to suck eggs

I always make a note of when things I want are (roughly) coming out, that way I can tie in a couple of things that may have been waiting on Redeye (that are out already) with something/s that are this, or next Friday shipping.

Price per order varies from around (on average) £29 for the last 3 vinyls I ordered (inc p&p) (but they were 8 tunes I wanted) to £55+ for 8 vinyls, but if you can justify paying a certain amount for a tune, then its fine.

Fav go to labels for me atm:- Exit, Narratives, Samurai, 31, Dispatch and Invisible

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  5. Agent Smith

Gosh, I never knew. :teeth:

60-70 a week is pretty large. Definitely used to do that back in the day. Not so much nowadays.

All new releases Whitty? Do you find your missing out on digital only stuff?

Yes Mark.

Completely agree about waiting etc. I very rarely buy 1 12" anymore.

I still don't think I will make the plunge and buy serato or traktor. I've seen too many people lose interest in mixing when they do, or their collections anyway, its just not as personal.

Samurai are quality glad you said about them. Certainly the Fre4knc bits do it for me.

6. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

I have a job now so I've started to work on building-up my own collection finally. As I don't have way too many releases I like from the past years, I usually buy like 2-5 fresh plates a month and another let's say 10 from a guy I know who can get me some wicked old(er) pieces in great quality and for a fair price. Currently I'm spending around 100 quid a month on vinyl.

7. Agent Smith

Good man FG. Getting a job was my way of funding my addiction for records way back.

Good that you touched on the word "collection". That's what its all about for me.

Interestingly - you do something similar to me, although as I've said I have slowed down on buying new releases (quite a lot of it doesn't appeal to me) I have a couple of mates who have sold bits and bobs of their collection which I pick up sporadically.

Does that £100 cover your digital releases you buy for the month too?

8. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

Nah, digital is like another 30-50 quid on top of that. To be fair most of those tunes I buy in digital are digital only. The rest are just tunes I like but not so much I would need to have them on vinyl or I've already picked something else before in which case it keeps pilling up in my wishlist :teeth:

9. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

I got the vinyl addiction hard man, spend around £200 - £300 a month on vinyl (need to cut back a bit haha) most of the vinyl's I buy are new releases on redeye, wish list keeps getting bigger then rinses my wallet on payday. Favourite labels pressing vinyl for me at the moment are: Ingredients, Metalheadz, Spearhead, Critical, Dispatch, Blackout, Program and Horizons. Also 2 newish labels addictive behaviour and Horrific Recordings, I have grabbed all their vinyl's since they started pressing and really like their output at the moment, hopefully they keep on releasing the bangers, I know both have juicy tracks coming out soon, Addictive behaviour have got TR Tactics new plate coming out which is sounding really good, also horrific recording have got Ego Scene & DJ Lighta - Hold On / Aiden's Tune which again is sounding like a really strong release. Don't really buy digital but need to start, got traktor and only use it for jump up tracks because they generally don't get pressed but there are probably plenty of hidden gems I am missing because I don't go searching for digital. Also buy loads of old vinyl's off a mate who stopped mixing recently

10. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

I only allow myself to by 2 plates, either 2 x 12" release or two seperate 12" releases. In April, (which is RSD month) I buy another release, usually older - for this year I bought dBridge - So Lonely EP to give you an example. This system can create problems in what to buy as it is very limited. This month is in fact one of the months that created this problem and hoping that Samurai won't create me even more 'problems' with their schedule.

Digital releases - yes I do buy quite a lot, almost 30 quids worth of downloads. These would mainly be Digi only releases.

If it was possible, I would spend more on vinyl since I would like to have a petite collection of D&B that represents me and my moods and emotions etc.

11. Binary_UK

Binary_UK Binary.

I spend £100 per month on vinyl, have traktor so don't need to but I love collecting records!

12. Mr_Whitty

Mr_Whitty Active Member

Yeah all new releases :D used to be mush higher back in the day, and on other genres, so 60-70 is cheap for me!

I'm not a digital DJ yet but yes I am missing out on some bits, but hey! Vinyl releases have the shelf life for me.

13. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

I've spent quite a lot in the last couple of months because theres just so many good releases, easily £200pm. In quieter times usually about half that.
    My faves: Metalheadz (are on fire this year!), Critical, Spearhead, Samurai, 31, CIA.

I usually pick up the digital first if i'm unsure about it, rinse it in the car and at work. If I like it THAT much, i'll buy the vinyl, it keeps the collection lean.
    Vinyl is a bit too expensive for everything I want to listen to, but not for what I love.

I think the problem you'll find is actually getting some of the recent releases, the good stuff usually sells out rapid!

You could always go blow tanmushimushi on discogs though I guess. . .

14. rythmatix

rythmatix Well-Known Member

you have have noticed from the purchases thread that I buy a bit...

I have cut back a bit this year - I used to basically do impulse buys on Sat (NZ time) of all the Fri shipping releases I wanted/liked for the next week, so was spending around NZ$80-100 a week for a while on tunes, which is a lot when I was a student as well too, trust me haha. Now I try and build up a lot of 12 plates from Redeye (shipping is the same as 11 - I know its only a couple of pounds difference, but it all adds up once you are sending them over to NZ). By waiting a little I am finding I am buying less fillers, and tunes with more longevity which is a good thing, and end up playing what I buy a lot more before it gets cast into the shelves to maybe never see the light of day again...and, most of the releases don't sell out quickly on promo and things so can afford to wait (couldn't 2 years ago though)

Used to buy from Chemical or Redeye (favoured Redeye, but used to work out what was cheaper as Chem quite often had EP's for 2 pounds less). Now get a little bit from Juno too, as they seem to get stuff in stock earlier than other stores....

my go-to labels are: Ram, Program, Critical, Metalheadz, Dispatch, RH, Shogun, Spearhead, Symmetry, Virus, Commercial Suicide, Samurai - all the main names, as playing only vinyl can sort of restrict you in that way as you all know. I try to get some different releases from random labels where possible - Tempo recordings is a good example of that!

15. lug00ber

lug00ber Active Member

Probably somewhere between 200-400 GBP each month, if you count discogs-buys. Mostly dnb, but I am slowly building up a collection of stuff I've loved through the years (been listening to techno in various forms and shapes since the early 90s).

I mostly buy off Juno, but I've noticed people in here seems to favor Redeye. Any particular reason for that?

16. EuroTide

EuroTide Well-Known Member

lately ive only been buying the 31 and Narratives bits on vinyl, thats more or less all the dnb i buy these days with the odd Headz or soul:r piece in there.
    buying more rap these days, but looking at some stuff on discogs i still need to get like Bukems Earth series and stuff like that.

17. Elwood

Elwood Member

I keep up with Narratives, 31, Samurai, Exit, and Auxiliary, so my vinyl purchases are pretty much dependent on when they release something new. Auxiliary and Samurai Horo are buy on sight - those are really the only two labels that I'd say I collect.