Are Record Labels Still Important, Or An Unnecessary Middle Man In The Digital Age?

Rich Pitchshift

VIP Junglist
Record-Label-580x463.jpg

DnB Blog Dialogue is back to stair up another debate. This month we want to focus on record labels; are they important in the digital era or should we be focusing more on the artists? Which ones do you feel are important and why?

Each month I post about our discussion on here to try encourage you to join in on the website. If you do it will be greatly appreciated. Please post on the following link.

Link: http://dnbblog.co.uk/dnb-blog-dialogue-record-labels-still-important-unnecessary-middle-man-digital-age

Re: Are Record Labels Still Important, Or An Unnecessary Middle Man In The Digital Ag

music is shit

Re: Are Record Labels Still Important, Or An Unnecessary Middle Man In The Digital Ag

If you're already an established name they aren't as important. For up and coming producers they're important though. If a label that I trust comes out with a tune from a producer I don't know, it's going to get a listen.

Branding is also important because I have an idea of what to expect.

The record labels took er jerbs

Well you still need labels for licensing, copyright stuff etc.? I don't really know what I'm talking about but I don't think artists could put their music out without. Yeah if you're an established name you could just create your own label.

Well you still need labels for licensing, copyright stuff etc.?

you really don't, because you can do that all yourself, but it'll take a lot of time. from promoting to getting licences, paperwork, contracts etc. just make a tune and sell it to a label and your work is done...you'll loose some rights, like having a say so what anyone can do with your track however.

i personally think labels are an important link, but then again...look at macklemore who released his album without having it on any label and sold over a million.

also labels make it easier to orientate in the music. i couldn't imagine if there'd be no labels in music industry.

So I can put some random tune of mine on itunes without a label? If it sold at least once, would I get all the money
(-itunes rape)? I just assumed that you *had* to go through a label to do this sort of thing, even if it's my own random label, as in just a formal thing to have a label.#oblivious

A good label will provide you with a promo campaign and the fact that a lot of people follow labels, thus giving you more exposure that way.

Is it worth releasing on a label that won't do that for you? No.

So I can put some random tune of mine on itunes without a label? If it sold at least once, would I get all the money
(-itunes rape)? I just assumed that you *had* to go through a label to do this sort of thing, even if it's my own random label, as in just a formal thing to have a label.#oblivious

as for itunes...

http://www.tunecore.com/index/itune...itunes&pmt=e&gclid=CIibv-mkvboCFU633godOlUAgg

so, no, you don't have to go through a label.

Last edited:

Ah yh, I heard of this a while ago actually... Be prepared for epic evermind iTunes links spamming :teeth:

I've gotten to the point where I buy a majority of my tunes off Surus. It consolidates labels I know and trust.

quality control

Theoretically there's no need for labels now anymore, if you're only planning to get your product out digitally. You can do all that necessary stuff by yourself. It's gonna cost you some time at least tho. The most important thing is the established order in the music industry, which on the other hand almost dictates you to get your work signed and release it through a label, as most of the people only pay attention to the biggest names in the game. Surely, there's always a possibility if you do the promo stuff right for yourself and your production really stands out (or is at least on the top of the game), but you can't be sure cuz it may not be enough anyways. But if you sign your new tune to RAM, Hospital, Shogun, Critical, etc., you can count on gaining some worldwide exposure at the very least :)

think how many new tunes would come out every week. any half decent new talent would be completely lost in a sea of shit music from people releasing stuff thats not ready. At least with labels they cherry pick what they think is good, and you trust that opinion. Yes labels are important, pretty silly question imo (no offence)

Cheers for all the responses so far. We are trying to collate the feedback on the site so if anyone can comment on there that'd be great. I know it's a bit of a p**s take to start a thread on a forum and try get you to comment elsewhere but we are just trying to get as many involved.

Here's the link anyway > http://dnbblog.co.uk/dnb-blog-dialogue-record-labels-still-important-unnecessary-middle-man-digital-age

- - - Updated - - -

think how many new tunes would come out every week. any half decent new talent would be completely lost in a sea of shit music from people releasing stuff thats not ready. At least with labels they cherry pick what they think is good, and you trust that opinion. Yes labels are important, pretty silly question imo (no offence)

No offence taken. We knew it would be pretty one sided. Just wanted to hear peoples opinions after having a discussion about it.

yh I check the junodownloads page for new releases all the time but I ignore 99% of them... mostly just check big labels or stuff like fokuz or artist names that ring a bell.

Back
Top Bottom