Are promos still relevent?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Upakut, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Upakut

Upakut CEO - Kevlar Beats Recordings

In today's market with MP3s and all copies of records being pressed in full art rather than white label, I'd say the promo copy has had it's day. Distributors and shops charging extra to have a copy a week early need to stop now

2. Subjekt Music

Subjekt Music Well-Known Member

But the great thing about buying promo tunes is knowing you got a copy earlier than anyone else. Waiting in the shop for them to put promos out,, knowing you got one of the few copies that they had in etc. Buying records used to be (though for some like me, still is..) an experience which online and the rise of digital has killed in all honesty

3. Upakut

Your right there, as a die hard I still love going to a record shop buying new vinyl promos, full art copies have killed it a bit, get more from finding older records i've missed or sold in shops like record exchange now

4. PhorceOfHabit

PhorceOfHabit Seldom

To be honest I only buy promos if I realllly can't wait or it's on offer, and never for eps or lps. I just love having artwork and can't really compete on either djs that get dubs, or digital djs, with regards to having all the newest tunes so I'd rather just wait and concentrate on playing a decent, varied selection that's not all just current bangers.

When I look back through my vinyl collection in five years I'd rather flick through nice sleeves and have a full package to be honest.

That said, I think it would be a sad day if promos did die, as I like what they represent and like having the option to buy them.

5. Upakut

6. Junglist_007

Junglist_007 learning difficulties

I noticed this few months back tunes coming straight out on full release with artwork. I always check Nu Urban every Thursday when update new stock. It says Promo but when you get it comes with full artwork. I liked geting the promos have it before anyone else. But I do like having bit of artwork. Playaz site been puting up test presses.

7. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

A promo ain't what it used to be, by a long shot.

A week before release?

Whats the fucking point, unless your weekly wage from playing out covers the extra outlay...?

I remember getting shit on promo back in the day & it would be months before release, now that felt special, nowadays its a scam for an extra couple of squid a vinyl, for a weeks "exclusive" play.

I've also never got "i'm waiting for the artwork" lol.

8. Subjekt Music

Same...

9. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

init... i reckon thats more of the bedroom DJ who dont play out so much! most my vinyl sleves are ripped to shit, battered and have foot prints on em (y)

10. Subjekt Music

Ditto

Promos are fucking cool

11. DJ_NoZ

DJ_NoZ Rum & Ass

Meeeeh, they seem pretty pointless to me. And I don't think I've ever paid more for a promo copy?!

12. Subjekt Music

Cos you dont, your paying for the fact its out before general release

13. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

i like promo's but considering the people i play to atm they aren't rly worth it for me. i got the durban poison remixes about 4/5 month before release on TP, that was nice... and i won the skeptical - cold one jubei remix im not sure when that came out but i had it ages ago! :)
    I think for the up and coming DJ's who are making a bit of money DJing they are essential, if they wanna stay vinyl then its the only way to compete, even if its by only a week. You will NEVER compete with the big names tho simply because most of them are the producers of the music too and cos of aim etc its nothing for them to get a track done then give it round to others. The only way to be in that position is to get big in the game, so they say.

14. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

i've never paid more for promo either? (come to think of it, i've never paid more for homo!?)

FINN021P - Vinyl £4.92

FINN021 - Vinyl £4.92

?

15. DJ_NoZ

DJ_NoZ Rum & Ass

Yeah, just the way Moskit worded it sounded like you're paying more money than when it's fully released. Probs just me being slow to be honest, Insurance frys my brain....

16. charlie131

charlie131 Well-Known Member

There defently still relevant, they give vinyl dj's the edge over mp3 dj's... Even though it pisses me off that it takes on average 6 weeks to be able to buy the mp3's after the promo , it's a sort of a tradition that promo's come out on a friday really... I remember always going to black Market on a Friday to gob listen to the new promo's and get recommended tunes by dj flight, youngsta and ray Keith...

17. TheGambit

TheGambit Member

As much as I don't really care for vinyl much anymore, I must admit it was pretty good picking up promo's from Black Market back in the day.

18. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

I would never buy any promo, even if it would come out half a year in advance. I just like to have vinyls with artworks. It makes them personal for me.

19. Dmiize

Dmiize dj dmiize

Promos are definitely still relevant. The only thing that's changed is that there's more full artwork promos than white labels... which is a good thing.

20. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

very true.
    regardless if I know a Promo could be floating about im on the case. 2 shops, notting hill then sisterray. gotta keep ahead of the game if your an amateur not making any beats. Definitely still relevant.