Are DJ's Musicians?

waffnasty

C.E.O. of Boh
So we are having a huge debate right now about this subject.

I say that DJ's are musicians because they perform music whether its theirs or not.

Some other people in my office say that dj's just perform other peoples music and are un-original.

so what do you say guys? Are DJ's "Musicians"

i don't agree with dj's being 'un-original' but then i don't quite agree with dj's being called musicans. if you produce tunes, then, yeah. sure, you're a musican, of sorts.

decks are about the only 'instrument' where you don't need any musical theory/knowledge to be able to 'play' them, in most respects.

i don't agree with dj's being 'un-original' but then i don't quite agree with dj's being called musicans. if you produce tunes, then, yeah. sure, you're a musican, of sorts.

decks are about the only 'instrument' where you don't need any musical theory/knowledge to be able to 'play' them, in most respects.

also a triangle doesnt need any musical knowledge!

But the user needs to have a reasonable amount of musical ability, and ear for the music. Making them a musician in my mind.

Anybody can pick up a guitar and wack away at the strings, but only a musician could get a nice note from plucking them properly.

Know what i mean?

get a guitar and play it. if you do it long enough, youll be able to play nicely. without any theory and facts. fact. <- this makes it fact. fact.

you have to be committed.
You have to practice baaaaarrrre lol. just like playing a guitar
you have to feed off of a crowd, entertain them with music. like a band does.

Now im not saying Jimi Hendrix could mix like Andy C.
Or that Andy C can play the guitar with his teeth, but thier proffesions require alot of skill if the are to become succesful.

If you dont class DJ's as Musicians would you class Rob Swire as a musician?

But the user needs to have a reasonable amount of musical ability, and ear for the music. Making them a musician in my mind.

Anybody can pick up a guitar and wack away at the strings, but only a musician could get a nice note from plucking them properly.

Know what i mean?

yeah, i totally agree.
just don't think decks/djing are as black and white as other instruments where the 'musical' side of things is concerned.

i don't think you can lump one in with the other.

you couldn't put a dj up against a classicly trained pianist.

IT'S ALL RELATIVE.

yeah, i totally agree.
just don't think decks/djing are as black and white as other instruments where the 'musical' side of things is concerned.

Very true.

To a certain extent, DJ's could be classed as musicians, but like you say, its not as complex as reading/writing music and turning notes from a piece of paper into beautiful sounds :inlove:

The thing about the guitar, yh you might get a few nice chords from trial and error, but if someone asked you play something from a sheet of music you'd be like errrrr :rinsed:

JIMMY SAVILLE
ORIGINAL DISK JOCKEY!
jimmysailleDM_468x648.jpg

USED TO DOUBLE DROP TUNES IN THE LATE 40'S!

I say DJ's are musicians, ov course they are!

oh and phats i can read music!

Back
Top Bottom