Anyone using NI FM8 on the regular?

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
I'm toying with the idea of getting this baby, A friend of mine swears by it and uses it for a lot of neuro style basslines with a lot of success. I was just curious if any of ye ol faithfuls use it a lot, and if so, what benefits does it have over lets say......oh I dont know......Massive?

Personally, I'm not really a fan. While I know FM8 (and FM Synthesis in general) can create a wide variety of sound/timbre, for me personally I just don't like the concept behind the programming. I've downloaded several great tutorials (via fm8tutorials.com and have put many hours into trying to learn it. Despite my best efforts, I just wasn't able to have it "click" with my personal approach/vision to synthesis and sound design. To add, I have found I've been able to emulate the FM "sound" with other synths (ex. Massive, SynthMaster, Razor).

I'm not saying it's not a great synth, I think FM synthesis in general just isn't a part of my m.o.

Perhaps download a trial and see how you feel about it.

Cheers.

a very famous guy who won some bananaarena thing is doing all his bassy stuff in fm8

I tend to use it sometimes.. But not that many times for bass. It's usually for melodies or wierd ambient noises. The built-in phaser has a really cool stereo-pan-thingy that's great.

But when I do use it, I haven't got a single clue of what im doing. Im just feeding stuff here and there until it sounds decent haha.

Yeah, quite not the best synth to put ya hands on programming it. But still one of must have and must open in a resampling session of pre-production stage.
It come up with real creep stuff, especially playing with external arpeggiators and legato.

To be honest I love the unic sounds you can come across thru FM synthesis. Less "boring" than subtractive.
And also, a bit less abused than Massive.
I never liked to use the exact same synth as masses likes... :)
I've been using FM8, and granular synth in Alchemy, much more than Massive in all my productions.
Not sure if it will worth buying it, as you can get other options out there.
My one was a "gift"

Yeah i brought FM8 when it was on sale last year,
I can't use it for shit lol

I think the guy in the Noisia vid said it best, something like "Its very easy to make thinks sound shit in FM8"

One cool thing though is you can use it as an insert, and use all of its effects. Thats how I get my use out of it ...

Barely use it, tbh you can get very similar results with operator in ableton

And also, a bit less abused than Massive.
I never liked to use the exact same synth as masses likes... :)

I always get the feeling it's not so abused because it's not as easy to use as massive.
Been using it for most of my bass sounds lately, it just sounds really nice.

Also, on a sidenote. Alchemy is great for turning cat pictures into stabs :>.

FM8 into izotope iris into kontakt then back into iris tends to be my usual workflow before I shove shit like a flanger and a chorus on there : D. (And some other stuff in Kontakt)

I've noticed iris is great for cutting out certain frequencies so the bass doesnt sound like shit.

What's funny is that I had a feeling you would bond well with this synth. :) Have fun!

Your feelings were spot on fella! Massive is so last year lol

I'm in the process of uploading a quick neuro bass tutorial for FM8. Honestly, I had the thing for 2 hours, and was creating sounds I've been trying to create for years within massive!

Back
Top Bottom