Anyone used Sonar???

MARLZTAH

++DuB PrOFesSoR++
VIP Junglist
Ive been using FL for years now, and i think its time for a change

dont get me wrong FL is a great program and i'll probably never completely finish with it... but tbh honest.... it doesnt make full use of my new quad core processor and its maybe time for me to move on :(

ive been looking at cubase, pro tools & sonar......

i dont really want pro tools as i dont want to be confined to only using m-audio cards.... in fact im looking to buy a mackie interface soon so pro tools will be out of the question

cubase seems a good bet, but i used to use cubase vst/32 (still do sometimes) but i never really liked using it.... i dunno, theres just something about it i diddnt like........ but then again, the fact its so widely used does make me think its worth getting, i know if i ever get stuck there will be loads of info on the net to help me out

and lastly theres sonar..... from what ive read shes a beast.... and the included plugins look really cool.... esp the vintage channel by kjaerhus audio

i dunno what to choose..... anyone used sonar??

I cant say anything about sonar since ive never used it, i think im in the same boat as you. im using fl at the minuite too, but im certain that when i do choose to move on, i'll be moving to cubase. done lots and lots of research on it and it'l take some getting used to but i think its the best one out there. All the daws are fundamentally the same, just diffrent layouts and capabillities and so on?

TBH i havnt looked into ableton live much, i wouldnt mind betting that it has a unique function tho. pro tools looks good too. holy shit, how many double o's can ya get!?

Sometimes, when your on the same programme everyday its gets a bit samey after a while... so something to boost the mental attitude could be changing the backround to spice things up a bit, freshen it up. Or am i missing the point completely here?

I have never used FL, but it seems like its really popular on the forum.

I did intercept a copy of Sonar, but i never spent much time with it.

I am going with ableton 7, i ordered it and it should be here anyday now.

Sometimes, when your on the same programme everyday its gets a bit samey after a while... so something to boost the mental attitude could be changing the backround to spice things up a bit, freshen it up. Or am i missing the point completely here?

It can be a pain to convert your brain so to speak, it takes time to learn a new sequencer and unlearn whatever little things you've carried from the past, like simple keyboard shortcuts.

I can relate though, i've been using fruity for 5-6 years i think, it's really time to move on. It's just hard because in fruity i know my way around REALLY well, no problems. Was testing REAPER the other day and it took me ages to come up with a simple beat, good sounding but still, workflow workflow...

Sonar is used more in the states I think, maybe you should hook up with some yank junglists for opinions.

having slowly stepped over now from FL to Cubase myself, and especially learning how to do your old tricks for making beats in a totally new DAW is always weird. Especially handling a thing like a softsampler (integrated as anything in FL and I hate kontakt) and having to go around stuff like that is hard in the beginning but ultimately rewards. It's just the building of a new workflow that takes time like kama said that is challenging.
sometimes that can frustrate you and you want to go back to your old daw, but if you know the new thing you're trying to learn can improve your work, be strict to yourself and work your way around things until it pays off.

On topic: don't know shit about Sonar :D but I bet it can do some good if you learn to use it proper. If not, stick with FL because it remains an amazing program which I will keep using with the crew!

So Ableton Live is not an option? I've heard many people using it for producing too, not just "live" sets.

ahh yes.... i forgot all about ableton.... i will have to look into it

I can relate though, i've been using fruity for 5-6 years i think, it's really time to move on. It's just hard because in fruity i know my way around REALLY well, no problems. Was testing REAPER the other day and it took me ages to come up with a simple beat, good sounding but still, workflow workflow...

this is my biggest worry..... i know FL inside out.... i know when i start using something new im gonna be like a noob again, constantly reading the manual rather than getting stuff done

On topic: don't know shit about Sonar :D but I bet it can do some good if you learn to use it proper. If not, stick with FL because it remains an amazing program which I will keep using with the crew!

i cant see me ever stop using FL completely.... shes been good to me..... tbh id rather not have to move on, i just wish they would move with the times and update the engine, multicore processors are pretty standard now..... fingers crossed they sort it out soon

Back
Top Bottom