Anyone tried their skills at music other then Electronic. How did it go?

Recently produced this:

Also just started demoing stuff for their next album. Been doing some pre-production with them, we're recording some bits next week - re-amping guitars and recording vocals. Then some more production to get the songs sounding tasty and give some labels an idea of what's cracking.

That sounds really well produced man.
The drums sound really nice aswell, could you discuss your micing techniques?
I'm always trying different things but the drums end up sounding pretty muddy and I have to process the hell out of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capture a good source sound/recording of the performance - focusing on the overheads and a bit of nice room sound.

Take multi velocity (well recorded) single hits of the kit. Take time to process and clean them up.

Use something like drumagog at a later date for replacement with a combination of the hits you've taken and good stock samples.

Job done :)

Also just cut any unnecessary audio, i.e - if the toms are played once in a song, just cut the blank audio as it only adds up to noise. Replacement is the key tho.

Last edited:
I was in a grindcore band :p as drummer.
the problem with producing non-electronic music is the need for great microphones,
all our work sounded like crap. but with grindcore you don't even notice the difference.
Now I own a electronic drumset, the roland td 9kx. so now I can record my drums in good quality.

It's like everyone who produces d'n'b has some sort of drum background. :D I played drums too and would love a e-set so I can hook it up and play them with my own sounds and maybe make a tune that has a drum track played by me. ^^ It's always about the money.. :(

i was frontman for a metal band called Malakite from when i was like 13 up till i was 17/18. We recorded a propa studio ep and funny enough i contacted the engineer a couple of days ago to see if he still had a copy. If i can get hold of a copy ill post it up on soundcloud for u all to laugh lol. Back in the day we headlined the astoria 2 (aka mean fiddler) to 1000 ppl which was pretty sick. Other than that i use to produce a lot of hip hop with a lot of my mates. Done alot of solo acoustic work aswell. Currently working on a trip-hop-breakbeat project aswell with a few mates which is going well..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom