anyone know much bout CAMCORDERS???

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Sammy_Dodger, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

Im heading to LA in September for 2 weeks and want to do a video diary type thing...

..im looking to purchase a MiniDV camera...but was wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to then transfer my recordings onto computer??

Do i have to put onto VHS from miniDV or can i record onto my comp??

Do i need additional software or an analogue input on my PC...or is it all USB??

any help will be much appreciated...will even consider exchanging artwork/nude pics for advice ;o) haha

2. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

to get MiniDV into your computer you will have to digitize the tape, you can do it straight to your 'puter...

Usually most DVcam cameras have a fire wire (IEEE 1394) or USB port on the rear or side of the cam protected by a rubber boot or cover...

u can connect straight to you 'puter and will digitize the tape its self, if not you may have to getyour hands on a DV deck...

i maybe better to try and get a digital camcorder, but you may lose some picture quality.

hope this was a little help bruv

Sammy_Dodger likes this.
  3. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

Ahhh nice one fella!! great help...ive looked into a digital camcorder but want something more editable and better quality...so think ill stick with the DV.

Cheers Joey...ill make sure to capture some sik LA graff and post some up!!

(im guessing u like graff from ur sig)

4. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

yo sammy! i got a dope camcorder for my birthday. It records in HD and the recordings are actually quicktime movie files...works quite well for amature filming. plus the thing was really cheap, cheaper than a digi camera, and takes 8 MP stills also...with the exchange rate the way it is, you could prolly get one for about 75 euros. I would tell you to wait and buy it in LA but there taxes are ridiculous! 10%

Sammy_Dodger likes this.
  5. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

nice one fes,

how long footage can u fit on it??....

oh and also...even with ur 10% it will be cheaper than in london...im thinking of getting it in duty free or when i get to LA cos of the exchange rate!

what model u got fella??

6. Fes Rock

you can film as long as the battery lasts. it takes SD cards, so as long as u have a few of those your good.

the brand is Aiptek. check there site
    http://www.aiptek.com/

got it at walmart

7. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

SWEEET!!!...looks good

...sorry for the 100 questions mate...but how much u pay for the SD cards over there??

might just buy it myself from wallmart too, if the SD cards aren't too pricey!!

8. Fes Rock

think i got 2, 2gb sd cards for like $25. not that expensive at all. look for instant rebates. Spose u only need one. but i got the 2 just incase i was getting some raw footage

9. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

Safe Fes!!! you are a diamond!!

muchly appreciated!!

defo hittin that night when im there...the one beginning with 'R' you mentioned....(cant think what its call atm being at work) my mate highly recommends it too...get in VIP/guest list too!! BOH!!

10. Fes Rock

nights called Respect, theres a bunch of others aswell, that one is Massive tho, huge venue and proper vibes

11. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Definitely buy in the US. BUY IN THE US.

The camera you buy the European side of the pond will be half price on the other side.

Fes, have you heard about VAT? Its a bit more than 10%.

12. Fes Rock

i have heard of VAT. and it sucks a fat one

13. Greg P

Greg P Active Member

Also, if your shopping in the states (can we not shop tax free over there?), when you come back to the UK the customs could make you pay extra tax on the items you've bought over there, can end up costing you a fortune...

Way to get round it is to take off all the stickers and prices etc that say where you bought it, and mail the receipt to yourself... If you're asked to pay extra tax on the camera then you can claim that you took it with you and didn't buy it there...