Anyone know about Internet purchase rights?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by sdm, Mar 13, 2004.

1. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

http://www.splashdvd.com/

I bought two DVD's from SplashDVD at the beginning of the month, I've used them before and I know they are a little slow, but I got my order last time.

However, after checking their web site today it seems they have gone bust!! The problem here is they took my money on the 9th March, which was apparantly their last day of business.

I paid with a debit card so I am not sure where I stand, just tried ringing my bank but they are closed.

So anyone have any experience on this?

:soap_box:

2. inf0r

inf0r /!\ Dainjah /!\

The only experience I have on the matter is working for companies that have gone tits up..

From what I've experienced, you've got two options (not choosable by you tho)!

Either you'll form part of the list of creditors and wait forever, if you get anything back at all..

or, your bank might be able to sort something. As far as your legal rights, you should be well on top as you placed the order on the date of winding up order being enforced..

Are you sure that the money has left your account?

3. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Online banking says it has.

It's odd how they took the money on the day they shut down, bastards :mad:

4. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

get down to the local citizens advice bureau.... probably be surprised how helpful they are on consumer rights type stuff...

5. Cube

Cube www.exegene.com

6. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Cheers for the advice, I got in contact and this is what they said:

Can't see they're gonna respond to me getting in contact, I've already tried a few times.

Doh (n)

7. stratty

stratty www.dnbradio.com

See if you can find the name of the company that the business operated through.

If you are lucky and can come up with blah blah blah ltd it is then possible to search the companies house website to see who has been appointed liquidator of the company.

You should then be able to contact the liquidator and try and move things forward. Maybe the company had stock when it ceased to trade which would be a bonus from your point of view as you may get your goods.

Alternatively you would have to join the creditors list and hope for a dividend payout from the liquidation of stock and assets which typically runs at a couple of pence in the pound. The only people who benefit from a liquidation are the insolvency people.

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/

Worst case scenario the business was a partnership or sole tradership and it will be more difficult to trace those involved and cannot be done through companies house as it will be a bankruptcy case.

It would not suprise me if the directors of the business setup another company to transfer stock and assets prior to the cessation of business with the intention of carrying on trade through the new company (i.e. a pheonix scenario). You could be stuffed if this is the case.

If you get stuck and need any more help give me a shout via email. Im a tax consultant and the practice I work in deals with insolvency so if you need anything just holler!!!

8. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

unlucky maaaan!

9. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Never got it back (n)