Anyone know a decent microphone?

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
I wana get a mic for christmas but i want it fairly cheap from about 70 to 110 pound? anyone got any ideas its for recording lyrics and instruments

as per usual you have to connect it to an interface

1600-AT2035_detail2.jpg

external or internal audio interfaces are fairly cheap and definitely worth the buy to improve sound quality if you are looking at buying decent mics.

but yeah as said above, shure sm57 is a good shout

The SM57 is a great multipurpose microphone for its price. The SM58 has a tailored frequency response for vocals as well as an internal pop shield. However when recording different sound sources the freq response may have a detrimental effect of your recordings.

An interface is a must imo, not just for recording but for monitoring. The is no detail with 16bit internal sound cards. My tracks have really failed when I used to use the internal sound card with headphones. Now that I have my interface it has really helped me separate high frequency sounds. Before it was all mushed together.

I'd recommend the Focusrite Saffire 6 if you're strapped for cash. I managed to pick one up for £100 the other week.

The SM57 is a great multipurpose microphone for its price. The SM58 has a tailored frequency response for vocals as well as an internal pop shield. However when recording different sound sources the freq response may have a detrimental effect

+1 for the sm57 for instruments (especially loud shit like guitar amps or a snare. it might be a bit over your budget though, especially if you need an interface or decent preamp too. sm58 is more or less the same but the round top is better for vocals. these mics do great for up close on loud stuff, but require a decent preamp with lots of gain for recording quiet sounds.

If you want a good all purpose cheap mic the AT2035 is a good shout, the pad etc makes it fairly versatile. SM57s are great mics but only really sound good on loud soundsources and are not (really) ideal for vocals (although with a decent pre-amp and some playing around, removing the transformer maybe, then they can deliver interesting results).

Ive got a sm57, sm58, and an se X1 I'm gonna be selling soon. If your interested feel free to PM me.

ye i figure its gunna be way more than a hundred cos im gunna have to get a mixer with a 3 prong xlr thingy or is there a cheaper alternative? :sadbana:

bit off topic, is there anything like a mic that you can just take outside and record random stuff? I've been using my phone for now, but was wondering if there's something like a portable recorder for a reasonable price, it doesn't need to be high end pro, just make acceptable samples

bit off topic, is there anything like a mic that you can just take outside and record random stuff? I've been using my phone for now, but was wondering if there's something like a portable recorder for a reasonable price, it doesn't need to be high end pro, just make acceptable samples

Check out the zoom stuff. H2, H4 etc

could be i dont know what im talking about but my zoom hand held recording doo-hickey is awful good. but yes, i hear shure is the way to go.

I've used a Zoom before and I thought it wasn't that bad.
I had to move it around quite a bit to get a decent sound though.

sm57 is shit, no offense...

Of course mate.

Thats why its a standard microphone in most studios. most respectable studios will have quite a few of these of MD421s.
I do prefer the MD 421's though as they have a better freq response.

They are very good for their price. In some situations I have found that they sound better that C414's for certain applications. Its quite rare though.

Back
Top Bottom