Anyone into Metal?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by 1992, Dec 21, 2004.

1. 1992

1992 Novantadue

Anyone here into heavy metal, new or old? I've been getting into old Iron Maiden and Judus Priest recently myself.

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Well I think it's classed as "Nu Metal", but I'm the worlds biggest Linkin Park fan :love:

3. Liftedpance

Liftedpance New Member

i hate judas priest and iron maiden but i love napalm death and hatebreed, to name a couple.

4. Frost Dragon

Frost Dragon Bust A Move

Hmm... I struggle to see what numetal has in common with any other kind of metal music... Well, besides having the word metal in its name :|
    But IMO quality metal is the old Metallica albums, espcially Master of Puppets... Basicly there are many other proper metal bands, but frankly I'm too stoned at the moment to think of any :/

5. Ab0|2Ti0N

Ab0|2Ti0N WHAT THE FUCK IS JUICE???

it's all about Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
    :slayer:

6. 1992

1992 Novantadue

Yes! Even though I just discovered this stuff I feel its safe to say that this is a sick tune! The end of the tune almost feels like a classic amen rinse out, without the amen if you get me. :)

7. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

lol I used to be well into Iron Maiden when I was a nipper!! Went to see them at Brixton Academy in about 94/95. Used to love pretty much all metal/rock/punk up until about '99.

I agree with whoever said nu metal is completely different from traditional metal. To me, nu metal is bands like Deftones, Korn, SOAD, Spineshank etc who all started getting noticed back in about '95 as they were all a lot younger, more aggressive sounding and also more fashionable/'cool' than previous metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Sepultura etc etc

Not feeling all this recent new metal like Linkin Park and Papa Roach. Just sounds to me like watered-down-for-MTV, commercial sounding versions of all the original nu metal bands.

Plus have you noticed how they ALL rip off Korn with the metal/hip hop crossover? But still I spose it gets them on MTV and sells them a few extra albums...

8. Twisted Murderer

Twisted Murderer Den Tammen Belg

Sometimes I listen to metal. Not the Old (like Iron Maiden) or that gay thing New Metal. No I listen to very hard thing like :

HeWhoCorrupts
    Some Girls
    the Locust
    Bodies In The Gears Of The Apparatus
    Neil Perry
    Usurp Synapse

9. DJFlexie

DJFlexie Jungletrainer

go download somethin by Sikth and get blown away! 2 guys screaming over each other with mad technical guitars and drumming sections and the change in the emotion of the music completely switches in parts...

..its some fucked up shit and takes alot of listening to get used to, i thought it was shit wen i first heard it but after a gud few listens i can appreciate wat they r doin

http://www.suchthefool.co.uk/sounds.htm

10. Twisted Murderer

Twisted Murderer Den Tammen Belg

Hmmz if I wanna save it my Firefox says the the link is dead.

11. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Grew up on Cypress Hill, Prodigy, Metallica...

I still have my electric guitar but the amplifier is connected to my decks.

I love electronic tracks with guitars in them. There aren't enough dnb tracks with riffs in them!

Hehe, I listen to buttrock goa from time to time.

12. 1992

1992 Novantadue

That SikTH site has dead links. I use Freshdownload and im getting "can not resolve IP address" when trying to pull one of those.

I don't know about Korn or other MTV bands but it seems to me that the metal that comes out now is mostly speed metal with the growly demon voice singer guy. I don't know who started that growling singing but it was a good idea at first (Sepultura perhaps?). However now just about all the metal bands now do the growly demon voice vocals which is really lame.

I imagine that it takes real skill to sound as good as Bruce Dickenson(sp) but it takes no talent at all to sing in that growly demon voice.... I imagine thats why so many metal bands have gone that route.

13. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

...Or it could be because high-pitched air raid siren vocals were best left in the 80's along with mullets, long haired perms and leather trousers.

Gotta say Im not a big fan of growling vox myself, but it suits metals aggresive sound a lot more than some girly squealer in a sleeveless denim jacket.

Also I tend to find with the recent nu-metal bands, the majority of the vocals tend to be badly rapped, rather than sang or 'growled'. Originally when bands like Korn and One Minute Silence started rapping (well) about 9/10 years ago they got slated for it within the scene, but metals a lot more commercial now and it needs to appeal to a wider audience I spose...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  14. freeagent

freeagent Almost 30

All time fav = Slayer.

I also like stoner metal, for instance Wizard.

15. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

i begin by saying ive never been a metal fan...never ever...
    Funnily enuff tho, metal and jungle cultures show great similarities.
    1) theres as many subgenres in metal as in dnb
    stoner metal, thrash, grunge, speedcore, dark, death, doom, etc

2) metal kids buy vinyl, and suprisingly, they keep em in good condition

3) metalers can be as narrowminded as harcore soldiers, and clownstep-vs-techstep type of arguments and/or diss do occur quite often

4) denim to metal is camo to dnb

like i said, i was never into metal, but all teh kids in my school were, (yes, i wasnt very popular....bah..)and i gotta admit..if you see people fightin and arguing about something you dont care much about, its a hell of comedy sight...
    :D

@sdm: you got yourdelf a huge hoody with "Linkin Park" allover the back ??? if not, then ya aint their biggest fan..
    if yes......laaaaaaaaameeee!!!!

:teeth:
    :finger2:

16. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

@ Gordo, did you go to school here or in Greece?

Just that when I was in school and into metal..NO-ONE else was (except the resident in-school punks and goths). Everyone was into jungle or hip hop!!! Now it seems everyone's into it lol, always see big groups of 16 yr olds running about town in Slipknot/Linkin Park hoodies!!!!

17. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

Also I fully agree with you about the similarity between scenes.

IMO some of the Hardware/Penetration/Freak stuff is far more similar to metal than any other guitar music...

18. 1992

1992 Novantadue

I see lots of simmilarities of dnb and jungle and not just that master of puppets rip off, I mean the whole genre of 'ardkore and jungle have much in common with metal musicly.

I don't know about dnb fans being into camo gear though... I never personally saw that when I was going out. I suppose they all dress up like clowns these days thanks to clownstep, no? *lol*

BTW, I hope "air raid vocals" aren't a thing of the 80s because I would like to see more of that myself. Yeah I guess it did give heavy metal a female quality to it, but thats a good thing like the chipmonk vocal.

19. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Nowadays you're not a proper junglist without a hoodie, cargo pants and a camo tshirt. If you appear at a rave without one, you're liable to get your dnb license revoked and get a kick in the butt from a real soldier (or in Australia, from a hottie posse which will kick your head in as well - or so I'm told).

Only exception is for djs who can dress anyway they like - as long as they don't outshine the mc. Who always has to look like a chav.

Hehe.

I used to wear Metallica tshirts and jump around in mosh pits - nowadays I stand behind the decks in a tshirt with a Punisher logo.

Back to subject - I still love the Judgement Night soundtrack.

I don't know if you can call Rage Against The Machine metal but drop the bassline from Killing In The Name Of or Bullet In The Head into a dnb track slowly... and watch the geezers freak.

:banana:

I can't stand the girly screamy voices in 80's hair metal (and The Darkness). The vocalists may be insanely talented to reach those high octaves but so are opera singers - doesn't mean I have to listen to them. The combination of low octave riffing and a geezer screaming like a bitch is awful... Once Metallica appeared on the scene the vocals turned masculine. Thank God.

20. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

lol Maybe in Poland bro, but I rarely see anyone in camo in clubs/raves...

You're always gonna get lots of people in hoodies, but thats hardly exclusive to dnb is it? Ive seen people in hoodies at all sorts of places, whether its a punk gig or a sporting event