Anyone Have Any Tips/Tricks For EQ Mixing?

DJ Spliff

Never Enuff Vinyl
VIP Junglist
Anyone Have Any Tips/Tricks For EQ Mixing? I've been messing around with the main gain to take some high end out of some mixes. But it seems like I can't to get all the nobs in time. Any advice on where to keep all the trim nobs at the beginning, middle and end of a mix?

Anyone Have Any Tips/Tricks For EQ Mixing? I've been messing around with the main gain to take some high end out of some mixes. But it seems like I can't to get all the nobs in time. Any advice on where to keep all the trim nobs at the beginning, middle and end of a mix?

In general you should set the gains so that your signals nice and clear but not clipping (red lighting) and then leave them alone, on bigger systems messing with the gain can cause turntables to pick up feedback (if your using vinyl) or just sound awful if its clipping a lot.

If you want to get rid of some high end, roll the high eq down a bit. Theres no set rules of how to eq, it all depends on what sort of mix your going for, but a good start would be to have bass rolled off on the tune your mixing in, and take some of the mid and top out of the tunes thats already playing as you bring the second tune in to keep it balanced, when the tune your bringing in drops, roll the bass back up, and the bass on the other track down. Like I said not a rule but will be a good start and should give you an idea.

Like motion audio said make sure the levels on the mixer arnt clipping (red lighting) This gives you a good guide to the levels. But dont always follow it as some of the cheaper mixers arnt accurate at reading the levels.

Also dont make the mistake of turning up the trim lots. Use the volume. The trim just makes the sound levels go through to roof.

I have my mixer pluged into a reciver that has a phono setting and my LEDs are always really low. As well as my upfaders stay really low or will blow a speaker. Do I have an unusual set-up or someting. Also my mixer isn't anything super nice. I read that I should be able to keep all my trims at 12 O Clock but it sounds like shit when I try it.

I have my mixer pluged into a reciver that has a phono setting and my LEDs are always really low. As well as my upfaders stay really low or will blow a speaker. Do I have an unusual set-up or someting. Also my mixer isn't anything super nice. I read that I should be able to keep all my trims at 12 O Clock but it sounds like shit when I try it.

If it sounds awful and like its going to blow a speaker when your faders are turned up then its probably your gains set wrong. Turn the gains down all the way, channel faders up all the way, main volume at around half, and set all your EQ's to 12 o clock like you said, and then gradualy increase the gains until you get a good clear signal with no distortion

If you LEDs are low then its not the gains, its the master out on the mixer being too high or your volume on your amp being too high. Get the mixer set up in your headphones first, then adjust your amp accordingly so that you can get full functionality of the faders etc. You deffo have it set up wrong Spliff

If you LEDs are low then its not the gains, its the master out on the mixer being too high or your volume on your amp being too high.

That depends on if the level meters reading pre or post fade levels, if its reading post, and the main volumes really low and the gains high then it'll be an alright output level of a dirty clipped signal.

One things cranked up to much either way though!

Last edited:
bring the track in with the low end cut out then BAM switch them over wen it drops. jus practice man, u can learn alot more than anyone can ever teach u

Back
Top Bottom