Anyone got any tips for creating dark and intense intro's ?

billywhizz

E-MU !!!!!!
How do you guys go about making intro's ?

I like using samples but I find it really hard to get sounds to flow and I just end up looping samples and my intros don't seem to evolve.

I like this sort of intro

Is there a method to the madness or is it a matter of sitting and dropping sounds in till it sounds good ?

I know its a bit of a general question but I thought I'd ask it anyway

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Delays and reverbs help build an atmosphere immensely. Soundscapes are one of the hardest things to create in my opinion. Try creating a simple pad, but using lots of small automations within it to make it more evolving. Also for more sinister sounding atmos, try duplicating the notes one note above the original, so theres two notes stacked, gives a real ominous sound. I think there's a proper chorded name for it but cant think of what its called.

Doing what Fletch said and then reversing the audio can work. Timestretching also works sometimes.

Id also say dont stick to a time signature. I always make mine in a 4/4 rythm and they just repeat. I hear in a lot of intros that theres no real time signature and they seem to work. It doesnt have to have a structure is what im saying. Also adding 100% reverb with a big decay time works well on small stabs

It's called "the devils chord".

Also pitching/time stretching samples of pretty much anything right down works so well.

Yea this, Diminished 5th, so take the 5th of your chord and bring it down a half-step; super tense and uncomfortable. And then apply what other people have said about loads of reverb and delay and automation to get a real big scary chambers-of-the-devil atmosphere going.

Find an epic sample and give it a very low pitch with a pretty high lowcut on a reeverb, also some dark pads with 0 dry work nicely, really just combinating alot of sounds. I made a very dark intro once, and it contained more than 20 sounds! (wich is quite alot to me for an intro)

some layering, delay, and reeverb and you'll get there I think :)

Photo time stretching stuff can really work well. Record some sounds that have atmosphere around you, rainstorm etc. Also having some phat saw waves with a lotpass on them or sinewaves can really make some good pads. In the past I've recorded these before mentioned stuff through an amp with two microphones, one broken one not and panned them left and right.

Back
Top Bottom