Anyone for a challenge?

monq

banner_DNBC.gif

heading_FAQ.gif

QUESTION: Who can participate?
ANSWER: Anyone! It does not matter if you are Beethoven's favoured son or a tone deaf Katie Melua Wannabe, give it a go. I am myself quite crap and creating electronic music... Only exception would be if you like James Blunt.

QUESTION: How long does each challenge last?
ANSWER: We will try to make sure that challenges do not get stale, but also that we do not go too fast, so that even us old gits have a chance to create something... We aim for a two month challenges.

QUESTION: Why so many constraints? I am a free soul! I should NOT be constrained by your rulez yo!
ANSWER: There is a misconception that constraints limit our creativity. Au contraire: all the great geniuses in history (Bach, Da Vinci, Kerry Katona) have been constrained, thus their creativity has flourished. So paradoxically: the more constraints a challenge has, the more chances that you will create something new and exciting. Or not. Maybe this is all bollocks. Yeah, it definitely must be bollocks.

banner_FirstChallenge.gif

heading_Summary.gif

the samples are pretty good quality, but they will sound shit next to each other unless you use your skill!

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ahc9...12_07_2009_rar

SAMPLES:

kick049: beefy kickdrum

909 open hat: roland 909 open hi hat

tamborin: tamborine

ride_025: standard ride

DNC_Clap: Dance Clap from FL

DNC_Hat_4: Dancey synthetic closed Hi Hat 4 from FL

crash_015: A strange hit really. i'd class it as a china

snare6: an ok'ish snare

NOVELTY SAMPLE

classinc1: A sample i found of some classical music when i was really drunk one night.

feel free to ask questions :)

CHALLENGERS, ARE YOU READY?

KTHX, GO!

heading_Rules.gif

1.) You have to make a track from the samples given and your basic DAW synths (the synths that came packaged with your DAW).

2.) You cant sample your synths (i.e bounce them down to wave to chop them up), they have to be programmed to do what you tell them to do.

3.) You cant use any more samples then those given to you.

4.) You can effect the synths with your array of FX vst's / gear.

5.) You can distort and play with the samples to get different effects out of them, but you cant re-sample them back into the DAW.

heading_Productions.gif

1. T-LEAF: http://www.zshare.net/audio/626031676dc0b644/
2. JUNGLIST#1: http://www.zshare.net/audio/62618702034d7676/
3. Sphinx187: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m535dmjygn1

Last edited:
What would you need?
Criteria, sticky for posting entries, timeframe, listeners poll/judge.
I can see it not working, but it would be a bit of fun definitely.

I guess that an open timefrime (i.e one month, so that everyone has pleeenty of time to create something), would be ideal, and a sticky (mods permitting) would help to give this some sort of "solidity". Not so sure about the idea of judge's, since it becomes more of a competition... although I am personally open to everything! :D

I would personally prefer an approach were all participants can simply enjoy collaborating / helping each other, and we can see various end products to an initial single premise...

Yeah good idea but there could be some problems keeping up with it. Making a stick would clutter the production section further and collabing for a contest doesn't seem right.

Tho big up for bringing up the idea

I guess you could always throw the first challenge out there and see if it gains momentum.
I'd be keen anyhow but......the timing right now is a bit out. I'm off driving to Lisboa in two weeks, so I'll be away from the pc for a month. Gonna have my laptop but that's knackered, can't even handle running skype at the minute.
Two weeks mind, I'd try something in that time.

could try wat dubstep forum does an have a weekly or fortnight sort of thing goin.
i dont like things that go on for a month or longer as i lose interest as do most people.
id say the less time the better an as its not a comp it dont matter so much on how many participate

Yup maybe timing is not ideal right now... I am off to my home country in 3 weeks too! :D (Catalunya), but if there is enough people interested, well it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to organise something...

I agree with you all in knowing that, chances are this might not work, since online communities change a lot and people move to newer/different things...

It is also difficult to find something that suits everyone... i.e. I would simply not have the time to creat stg at a weekly basis, due to my job/family constraints... that's why my original idea was a month... But again, that's a personal preference...

i thought of a challenge :)

monq posts a link to a zip of samples (either drum hits or drum loops not both maybe some effects like vox)

we then have to make a track from the samples given and the basic DAW synths alone (the synths that came with your DAW).

You cant sample the synths, they have to be programmed to do what you tell them.

You cant use any more samples then those given to you.

You can effect the synths with your array of FX vst's / gear.

You can distort and play with the samples to get different effects out of them, but you cant re-sample them back into the DAW.

if there are any questions let me know :)

peace

monq posts a link to a zip of samples (either drum hits or drum loops not both maybe some effects like vox)

we then have to make a track from the samples given and the basic DAW synths alone (the synths that came with your DAW).

You cant sample the synths, they have to be programmed to do what you tell them.

You can distort and play with the samples to get different effects out of them, but you cant re-sample them back into the DAW.

peace

You should be able to use any effects you want though. It still has to sound GOOD atleast haha

?!

if theres drumhits in it, you dont need anything other than the stated to make it sound good imho?

i would be up for it! no matter whether its a challenge or a competition.

You should be able to compress and such I think. And maybe some tube amps and such. If it is drum hits, you would need EQ aswell.

Think bout it

Well shit, I certainly didn't buy my daw (Tracktion) for the bundled synths!

I also liked the idea about using only ethnic samples, maybe next time.
The idea is pretty cool tho, just need someone to put together a zip of samples or an idea and throw it out there, see what turns up.
Monq? T-Leaf? Who wants to get the ball rolling?

peace
Rev tech mate, read this again.

I thought of a challedge where you had to make a track from 5 samples only, you can morph and alter them all you want but you cannot deviate from those 5 samples.

I thought of a challedge where you had to make a track from 5 samples only, you can morph and alter them all you want but you cannot deviate from those 5 samples.
This would be fun too. Lots of ways you could do it.

the samples are pretty good quality, but they will sound shit next to each other unless you use your skill!

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ahc9...12_07_2009_rar

SAMPLES:

kick049: beefy kickdrum

909 open hat: roland 909 open hi hat

tamborin: tamborine

ride_025: standard ride

DNC_Clap: Dance Clap from FL

DNC_Hat_4: Dancey synthetic closed Hi Hat 4 from FL

crash_015: A strange hit really. i'd class it as a china

snare6: an ok'ish snare

NOVELTY SAMPLE

classinc1: A sample i found of some classical music when i was really drunk one night.

feel free to ask questions :)

CHALLENGERS, ARE YOU READY?

KTHX, GO!

Last edited:
Ok, the 'dnc clap' wouldn't play in media player when I previewed the samples (codec something or rather) and it wasn't recognised by my daw either, along with the 'dnc hat'.
Anything different about those two wav's in particular?

Back
Top Bottom