Anyone for a challenge?

you can use kontakt if all your gonna do is process the given samples!

haha, all in the name of fun innit, you might even teach yourself something new, i already have! :D

Ok, so I can load the samples into Kontakt one time, I just can't resample them? Cool
I agree with the idea of using really limiting samples,eg that kick is terrible. Wasn't thinking along the lines of creating my own drum hits, never tried that so could be fun.

PS, I propose a challenge one time. Make a tune using freeware only (fx included)

Last edited:
I think this whole idea is a great idea =]
Good way of bringing us all together and finding out a lil more about peoples tastes and strains in music!
I agree with above that it should be a few samples
But your could also add things to the challenge such as,
Only 3 synths allowed extra or You can add one vocal sample
Or as said above that you have to make a <60 sec dnb tune
These challenges would help us express our technique and show us different perspectives from using samples we wouldnt usually use =]
This challenge idea i give a 10/10 =D
...When does it start...

started mate :D, you get two months to make something

Ok, so I can load the samples into Kontakt one time, I just can't resample them? Cool
I agree with the idea of using really limiting samples,eg that kick is terrible. Wasn't thinking along the lines of creating my own drum hits, never tried that so could be fun.

PS, I propose a challenge one time. Make a tune using freeware only (fx included)

you can use the original samples as many times as you want as long as they arent resampled back into DAW altered from original

i.e. you can alter the kick as many ways you want to with seoerate source sample originals (get retriggers out of them, make it a hi hat, a pad etc), just dont bounce it down.

Ive Called in some help from an amazing producer known as Culprate an all i can say is watch out as this was a shitfest to begin with but now its shaping out to be quite a sick stinkey tune!
Will upload soon, as i think its pretty much finished, how long does it have to be?? about a tunes length???

Last edited:
Ive Called in some help from an amazing producer known as Culprate an all i can say is watch out as this was a shitfest to begin with but now its shaping out to be quite a sick stinkey tune!
Will upload soon as i think its pretty much finished, how long does it have to be?? about a tunes length???

ahh i fuckin new you'd start pulling through mate, hehe good stuff

any length, no restrictions

im sorry im tryin real hard (in headphones) to eq an sort these samples out but seriously u cannot polish a turd (granted ive only spent 20mins on it) but apart from the classical string samples (which seem a bit out of place an badly chopped) the rest is god awful ill keep at it but i do think a better sample pack is in order otherwise were just gona have a handful of really shit tunes as the end product just seems a bit pointless imo? :confused:

Apologies for metaphorically flingin my poo all over this but it needs to be said.....?

Also can we not use any breaks from the breaks exchange thread or atleast pick out a few we can use like obviously not as the kick n snare but as extra highend or fillers???
if so i vote for versitility, amens an possibly hotpants

This whole competition is really nice idea, big up for this :applause:. I agree with sphinx, this classical string sample is not well chopped at all and has background noise at its end. (ok u were drunk :) ) hard to integrate this. anyway i think its better u put a non acoustic instrumental and at least 10 sec long main synth lead or pad in the sample pack and make one strong rule everybody has to use this sample to set up a distinct mood, key note, tone scale and especially tempo of the competition tune.

I personally am more interested how diff. members here arrange there pads, drum pattern... around a short melodic sample, how they create tension and choose timbre of there synths in conjunction with this demand. As it is now, i think, only few will use this classic sample and everybody will just put up a drum and bassline with any you like melodic synth leads and pads at much diff. bpm. And then is hard to compare these tunes in relation to competition demand and given samples. I will participate here to learn not to "win" this competition, so i would rather like few strong rules than more rules abled to be bypassed.

Not everybody is a wizard at the snyths or still learning, but we could make the wish, not rule, to use as much free vsti and FX as possible. Here is a nice list:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/11/30/the-best-100-free-music-plug-ins-just-add-host/~

also i think its ok to use 909 808 kick snare to layer on the given drum samples, but no breaks, i want to be able to hear what somebody has done.

btw: took me 10 minutes to find the 2nd download link for the sample pack, the filefactory link doesnt work in FF and IE!!! Do i have to log in first? Big hint...

haha

there is often programmable soft samplers that allow for sample offsets and retriggers.

half of my samples are not chopped properly (drunk or not ;)). its because i use this offset feature, that way you get more freedom of movement for ideas and easier sample grabbing opportunities :)

we should make the mediafire link the official download link

haha

there is often programmable soft samplers that allow for sample offsets and retriggers.

half of my samples are not chopped properly (drunk or not ;)). its because i use this offset feature, that way you get more freedom of movement for ideas and easier sample grabbing opportunities :)

I know, is just think that this classic sample is to short, first 2 sec. are 3 diff pitched tones, the rest there is some background noise, hard to slice this and generate a lead out of it. of course u can pitch shift a singled sliced note, but with acoustic instruments, esp. strings, that doesnt work so well. thats why i suggested a synth lead.

I think for a competition a longer lead sample with at best all semitones of its scale would be nice, at least 8 sec, some drum loops themselves last for over 6 sec. And u have to use this whole sample in ur tune and slices of it. Or no lead/pad and only a e-bassline which must be matched by drums and leads...
Buts thats just a suggestion and we dont have to make same rules for every competition, balancing between drum programming, sound design or composing crossing point between a intro and first drop... maybe something like a comp "theme" would be fine...

Lets see where the tunes of this comp. go :thumbsup:

WOW Sphinx, that is amazing?!:!:!! Brilliant job man, I have updated the first page with your production! :)

lol sphinx and culprate. considering the sample sources, i like this. good job fellas (y) after the competition, you should really go to town on it cos you have the bones and layout of a great track here.

P$ t-leaf, and anyone participating in the challenge: I will have to be away for almost month and a half due to 1/Too much work then 2/Holidays in spain... feel free to start a new thread if you feel like it since I wil not be able to modify the main post etc...

Farewell everyone, and see you soon! :D

Dave

alright peeps I'd love to get involved in this but none of the links for the sampls are working for me. can anyone re upload?

safe, looking forward to this

Totally forgot this challenge, should have made a stickie out of it. Anyway i stumbled yesterday upon the samplepack in filebrowser. So here is my small contribution, dont have much time at the moment, just a basic musical arrangement sketch, no mastering, only samplepack sounds in it.

http://www.zshare.net/download/63867226b8c71211/

It really interesting to hear in what manner u all use the samples. Hope we can share some secrets, or what was ur basic idea. After hearing the prior harder styled contributions i asked myself to make a more melodic slower sketch. I tried to put the classinc sample between a selfwritten string melody, but its hard to do, because it ends so abrupt. So i took the middle part arpeggio and deconstructed it to a loopable melody. Then i choosed the drumline, i think it matches with the lead, but i heared to much to judge objective.

Do u have made the same experience when working on a tune, that u HAVE to made pauses, so that u can objective hear on it an make it better. I just found out i cant work 2 or more hours on a special drumline or lead, i have to make pauses or i will make a good line but cant hear it. Maybe this needs just needs training....

@sphinx

really a catchy tune :not_worth, had to hear it several times in a row, dont think u cant use this classinc sample as a whole in a better way. Especially how u choose these ugly beautiful noises in conjunction with the classinc string sample. Wouldnt have thought that this can match, so learned something new. I tried to get into it in the spectrum analyzer, is this mainly filter and pitch automation of synth sounds or any special fx like saturator/tube, what DAW u use? Have a heart a for noobs ;)

make a full tune out of it and i will buy it

Back
Top Bottom