Anyone for a challenge?

WTF! :D :D I left this thread with 6 responses - thinking that not much people would be interested in experimenting, and suddenly this has got 3 pages! :D :D :D T-Leaf, thanks a bunch for "hijacking" the post, I love your challenge, and my personal opinions are:

1. Stickies tend to end up stale, so I would suggest that we only use stickies (mod permitting1) to store the results of completed challenges...

2. The actual "current challenge" (i.e. like the one that T-Leaf has just started) could stay as un-stickied posts, so that they can be bounced up every time that someone posts...

I have tried to start challenges of all sorts in other communities (i.e. videogame creation), and the only way in which they work is when they are "organic" (aka it flows naturally based on people input)... When you try to add too many rules or define it a bit too much, freshness dies and the concept gets stale...

I will be able to post something by the weekend, t-leaf! (I am a SLOW producer and have lots of work rite now!), but I will definitely post!

Kudos :)

David

p$ 2 months sounds fantastic for starters, it gives us slow motion old gits the chance to do something interesting! :D.

monq: nice one, feel free to copy n paste the rules and other stuff i put up here into your first post of this thread, that way we all know where the rules, downloads and other bits are. in an art forum (sijun) they made a speedpainting thread, it isnt stickied and gets thousands of replies due to user input, so its organically stickied!!

thats how this one should work!

welsh junglist: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3e14ec3466d132b75bf1f12f1ff3f30a672a701d9f184009ce018c8114394287 hope that works for you mate

:D

Done! :D :D

I will keep on posting the results at the top as well, please let me know if I am missing someone's production! :D :D

Regards,
David

I might not have enuff space to do this but I'm up for it.

Thanks for sorting it all out. We finally got somewhere and didn't just talk about it.

I might not have enuff space to do this but I'm up for it.

Thanks for sorting it all out. We finally got somewhere and didn't just talk about it.

nice one monq (y)

try and get the rules up there too, so everyone is clear on whats allowed and whats not :D

im sorry im tryin real hard (in headphones) to eq an sort these samples out but seriously u cannot polish a turd (granted ive only spent 20mins on it) but apart from the classical string samples (which seem a bit out of place an badly chopped) the rest is god awful ill keep at it but i do think a better sample pack is in order otherwise were just gona have a handful of really shit tunes as the end product just seems a bit pointless imo? :confused:

Apologies for metaphorically flingin my poo all over this but it needs to be said.....?

Also can we not use any breaks from the breaks exchange thread or atleast pick out a few we can use like obviously not as the kick n snare but as extra highend or fillers???
if so i vote for versitility, amens an possibly hotpants

Last edited:
im sorry im tryin real hard (in headphones) to eq an sort these samples out but seriously u cannot polish a turd (granted ive only spent 20mins on it) but apart from the classical string samples (which seem a bit out of place an badly chopped) the rest is god awful ill keep at it but i do think a better sample pack is in order otherwise were just gona have a handful of really shit tunes as the end product just seems a bit pointless imo? :confused:

Apologies for metaphorically flingin my poo all over this but it needs to be said.....?

Also can we not use any breaks from the breaks exchange thread or atleast pick out a few we can use like obviously not as the kick n snare but as extra highend or fillers???
if so i vote for versitility, amens an possibly hotpants

nope :)

this is supposed to be challenging mang! :D, anyone can use the best of the best samples and breaks etc to make a great tune. the point of this is to experiment and find new unorthodox techniques. plus whats stopping you making your own synthetic drum hits??

vengeance sample pack hits are mainly made from synths hehe.

you dont have to use the samples given to you but you cant use any other samples.

next competition might be a loaded sample challenge, but this one isn't mate (y)

you WILL be able to make something good from this, i think your a really talented producer.

give it some time

and FYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj6PonX14A

start polishing! :D

yeah and stick the rules in it aswell. i assume from your post that synths are allowed now? and not just the samplepack only'?

edit: haha, this is my 1.111 post :D nice!

and @t leaf - didnt dl the samples already, but you tune sounds funny :D id guess it wasnt that easy to get something like that
lol its really tough going groelle! you'll soon find out :D

T-Leaf, by synth are you meaning strictly "oscillator, filter, modulaters", sound generators. Or anything that comes bundled with the DAW, (eg: mine has Sampletank 2 SE, not a really a synth, more of a sampler)

PS Why you so against bouncing down? I sometimes do this to tidy up things is all. Also for some with less CPU power bouncing could be necessary.....

i'm just using 3osc for synths in FL, but its up to you what synth you use i wont discriminate AS LONG AS ITS SYNTH!, i mean, the samples i gave are pretty bad lol,

but you cant use things like sampletank. seems to me like cheating tbh, kinda like saying 'i feel like using kontakt' hehe

good luck mate (y)

lol its really tough going groelle! you'll soon find out :D

i'm just using 3osc for synths in FL, but its up to you what synth you use i wont discriminate AS LONG AS ITS SYNTH!, i mean, the samples i gave are pretty bad lol,

but you cant use things like sampletank. seems to me like cheating tbh, kinda like saying 'i feel like using kontakt' hehe

good luck mate (y)

Firstly safe for the kind words an lol at that video! hahaha
No kontakt! grrrrr!!!!! u are gona be surprised with wat i come out with! this is so far sounding shockinly bad!!

Firstly safe for the kind words an lol at that video! hahaha
No kontakt! grrrrr!!!!! u are gona be surprised with wat i come out with! this is so far sounding shockinly bad!!

you can use kontakt if all your gonna do is process the given samples!

haha, all in the name of fun innit, you might even teach yourself something new, i already have! :D

I think this whole idea is a great idea =]
Good way of bringing us all together and finding out a lil more about peoples tastes and strains in music!
I agree with above that it should be a few samples
But your could also add things to the challenge such as,
Only 3 synths allowed extra or You can add one vocal sample
Or as said above that you have to make a <60 sec dnb tune
These challenges would help us express our technique and show us different perspectives from using samples we wouldnt usually use =]
This challenge idea i give a 10/10 =D
...When does it start...

Back
Top Bottom