Anyone ever felt this way?

DanDnB

Bass and Drums
Ever since I started making DnB about 6 months ago. I've always felt the urge to try and emulate some sounds of my favorite artists, you know, just to learn.

But something inside always tells me to try and come up with my own unique sh1t. A lot of people tell me that I need to learn how to make "other guys" sounds that way i can get familiar with making DnB, patterns, synths, sounds etc...

Because I never try and emulate sounds, progress has been slow and my DnB is not coming moving right along as i wished it would. I feel that if i wanted to try and make beats sound exactly like big names out there, I probably could. It's a shot to my pride, i say to myself "I didnt make that beat or bassline" so i usually never bother doing it, hence, the slow slow learning curve.

Anyone have this problem? Or maybe im just a slow learner.

No one is going to become a superstar producer overnight.

Start off making shit tracks but try and imrove with every track you make.

As for 'finding a sound' this will develop on the way.

Don't try and force anything but realise you're not selling out by copying the greats.

Listen to as many different genres as you can.

No matter how obscure they are.

It will inspire you to come up with new ideas/sounds/structures/effects to add to your tunes, which you might not find in genres you currently listen to.

I'm digging a lot of 70s African Funk recently.

do what i just did......

empty out all your cpu,monitors,midi,amp etc pack it all away, put it in your garage an replace with a sofa, tv and minibar. if anyone wants to buy a desk,amp, cpu (with FL8,Reason,Massive,Zeta,Camel Phat and millions more sweet vsts and samples) monitor, sub, technics cd player then pm me.
or check advertisments which am about to upload

do what i just did......

empty out all your cpu,monitors,midi,amp etc pack it all away, put it in your garage an replace with a sofa, tv and minibar. if anyone wants to buy a desk,amp, cpu (with FL8,Reason,Massive,Zeta,Camel Phat and millions more sweet vsts and samples) monitor, sub, technics cd player then pm me.
or check advertisments which am about to upload

whhhaaattt seriously ???

thats not good advice but your selling some good shit

if you say you could knock out a quality tune ripping off other producers, then i don't see how you can't make a decent track without doing that. it makes no sense to me

I dont see the problem in trying to re-create your favourite producers sound.
In doing so you'll learn lots about synthesis and i almost can tell you that you wont get the exact sound your looking for, you'll make your own unique sound.
Trying to copy other peoples sounds is how i learnt, but now i have a lot of the knowledge i need. Its just hours and hours of practice.

just make beats and have fun.

or rip off the best of each and emerge it into a killer track. sounds good to me tbh. if i could make my beats sound as spors, id surely be able to create something good D:

if you say you could knock out a quality tune ripping off other producers, then i don't see how you can't make a decent track without doing that. it makes no sense to me

exactly, if your good enough to replicate the greats, if you think it would be easier to get to that level , then do it.. then when you are there, your skills will be good enough to make your own shit, so if you think you can easily copy a spor tune .. do it .. and when it sounds the 'same' go and make your own coz you WILL be good enough..

oh yea.. and making your own sounds is a good idea defiantely, to contradict myself, but on a skill level , if your as good as the pro's , you can do your own thing..

not been bias or anything but ..

check Fratanize's tunes out (my cousin) , altho some are not always to taste, the lads been knocking out random fresh sounds all the time, always something different, keeps you guessing seeeeeeen

individuality is the biggest thing i look for in tunes

dont spend you time trying to copy other peoples track just make what you think sounds good

i dont even listen to dnb anymore as i found i would sub conciously (sp) emulate things from other tunes not a good look

if your new to production your much better off spending your time learning how to make each element of a track before your try and make a finished tune . spend a few weeks working on your breaks then a few weeks on bass and just build up a phat sample bank of your own sounds that way when you do come to start making tracks you will have plenty of nice fresh sounds that are your own and have your own vibe

i get sent on average 70 - 100 tracks per month and out of them about 70% are complete carbon copys of other peoples sounds they all go straight in the rubbish bin

also dont fall into the trap of trying to make dancefloor tunes just make what sounds good to you and dont sit there thinking about making big dancefloor smashers as if you just make good music the smashers will come naturally

quick plug here but i have spent alot of time writing a dnb production guide on my website giving loads of helpfull tips and shit for starting out on dnb productions give it a read. just sign up to the forum on www.36hertz.com and you will then be able to read the production tutorials and download sample packs

dont spend you time trying to copy other peoples track just make what you think sounds good

i dont even listen to dnb anymore as i found i would sub conciously (sp) emulate things from other tunes not a good look

if your new to production your much better off spending your time learning how to make each element of a track before your try and make a finished tune . spend a few weeks working on your breaks then a few weeks on bass and just build up a phat sample bank of your own sounds that way when you do come to start making tracks you will have plenty of nice fresh sounds that are your own and have your own vibe

i get sent on average 70 - 100 tracks per month and out of them about 70% are complete carbon copys of other peoples sounds they all go straight in the rubbish bin

also dont fall into the trap of trying to make dancefloor tunes just make what sounds good to you and dont sit there thinking about making big dancefloor smashers as if you just make good music the smashers will come naturally

quick plug here but i have spent alot of time writing a dnb production guide on my website giving loads of helpfull tips and shit for starting out on dnb productions give it a read. just sign up to the forum on www.36hertz.com and you will then be able to read the production tutorials and download sample packs

Yeh, I love hearing a Hip Hop beat and knowing exaclty who it is just by the sounds and style of the beat.

Great replies everyone! Thank you all.

36hertz, I will definately check out your website.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you give a child a flute; you will teach him to play "mary had a little lamb."

He isn't ripping the song, and selling it making millions, he's learning the flute by playing "mary had a little lamb", right? Once he masters that, he can play more advanced songs and once he has mastered the flute, he can compose his own music.

I am at the stage where imagine I'm the kid, given the flute, and told to 'make my own music'. That sh1t never happens, unless the kid is a child prodigy (pun intended?)

I am no musical prodigy, I know for certain I need to emulate other reeses, basslines and beats to get a feel for DnB. I just hate doing it ALTHOUGH it is part of the learning process.

Granted I cannot make my music sound like Spor, but I can come close perhaps, to making a similar bass or reese (they are all so similar anyway).

Copying is not what I intended to say. It's more about learning sound synthesis by first hearing, then creating a sound that I heard. Because that is easier than thinking of a sound and creating it.

Like "Here's an awesome sound that Spor made, I wonder if I can make that sound". There is no harm in that if I am trying to add to my core knowledge of sound synthesis.

I guess I bit off more than I can chew. A lot of your responses are 100% valid, I think I am rushing into making a whole song too fast and I'm getting confused. There are too many aspects to music that I haven't become experienced with and that is why I need to try and play 'mary had a little lamb' so to speak.

this.
all ud need to do is change the sounds abit an ud be in the money!lol

Back
Top Bottom