Anyone else Scratch over DNB?

Statuseight

I love Scratching during a set and hearing it from other DJ's as well. Anyone else into it? Would be nice to get some more inspiration from fellow members. Link me up if you're into your cuts.

Last edited:
Honestly, I have a scratch plate which has pretty much remained unused in 5 years.
When I first really got into mixing records, I felt scratching was an important part of your arsenal as a DJ.

Nowadays, I feel scratching is better left to people in other genres of music. I'm not going to say i'm any good at it, i'm not, i've been through countless amounts of needles practicing...
If done well I think scratching is really cool. But the last person I saw live scratch (teebee) I didn't even think it added that much to the mix. Fair enough it was another dimension to a 6 deck set which was just wow...but I didnt feel it even needed it tbh.

Marky scratches sometimes, got a sick video where he scratches over killers don't die.
Its a cool skill but most of the time it's unneccesary in dnb

Somtimes I like it as im an old skool hip hop head, and I respect the art, but not all the time. We used to have a montly night here in Aylesbury and one DJ liked to scratch over his moxes which was great cos it broke it up a little.

I think if it's done by someone who has serious skill, and doesn't overdo it, it can be fucking mind blowing.

That said, 90% of scratching I hear while out is overdone, a quick 5 seconds is all it needs, any more and it gets old QUICK.

That said. Play from 1.15: http://youtu.be/KdgTZ5A-zog

Ridiculous scratching. :gun: :gun:

I mix hip hop as well so I take that across and scratch over d&b a bit, but I think what normally makes it so whack is that people go for some bait 'Fresh' sample or whatever and just purely scratch as fast as possible. Generally sounds brass if you ask me. People need to take more inspiration from how hip hop Djs/Producers cut on actual tunes.

Cut and chop DRS's clean verse in the breakdown of Love's Too Tight Too Mention before mixing it in however; sounds ill (just don't overdo it). My rule for turntablism over d&b is that I generally only use actual vocals from d&b tunes. Just gotta dig for those clean ones. That way, scratching becomes a more understated way to add to a set and build tension for a tune rather than being some 'check me out, I learnt to cut' party trick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom