Any tips on this sub bass? And what am i doing wrong?

jakeshiftzw

Shiftz
https://rapidshare.com/#!download|938p4|1046063844|jump up.mp3|1782|0|0

Here's a new Jump up tune i've started. I'm quite happy with where it's heading apart from the sub bass. IMO it sounds far to muffled and not quite clean enough. When making a sub bass, i normally have my 'sub' hitting at around 40 - 70hz and i low-pass it, distort slightly, overdrive and Limit. After that, i will add a sine an octave higher for the 'buzz' which peaks at 120hz, i high-pass that at 120hz and low pass at 150hz. I then do the same with this in terms off effects. Also, how do you really limit?. I like my sub bass about -2db below my kick so it will be at -16db. So what i do is, set my fader on logic to where it says -16db and then push my limiter as much as it goes till its cutting the top off and its pretty much consistent. Is that the right way of doing it? If so, whenever i use the sine for the buzz, the highest i can get it is about -30db therefore a limiter won't reach that low to cut if off leaving it inconsistent, If that makes sense?

i would have your buzz range slightly lower, say from 100-150 or something, i tend to sample subs alot and chuck them into a sampler so you can still change notes bend notes etc, not the best way but it works quite nicely!

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|938p4|1046063844|jump up.mp3|1782|0|0

Here's a new Jump up tune i've started. I'm quite happy with where it's heading apart from the sub bass. IMO it sounds far to muffled and not quite clean enough. When making a sub bass, i normally have my 'sub' hitting at around 40 - 70hz and i low-pass it, distort slightly, overdrive and Limit. After that, i will add a sine an octave higher for the 'buzz' which peaks at 120hz, i high-pass that at 120hz and low pass at 150hz. I then do the same with this in terms off effects. Also, how do you really limit?. I like my sub bass about -2db below my kick so it will be at -16db. So what i do is, set my fader on logic to where it says -16db and then push my limiter as much as it goes till its cutting the top off and its pretty much consistent. Is that the right way of doing it? If so, whenever i use the sine for the buzz, the highest i can get it is about -30db therefore a limiter won't reach that low to cut if off leaving it inconsistent, If that makes sense?

You're getting way too wrapped up in the BS bro, what are all these numbers?
It sounds to me you're using everything but your ears - just push the sub until it sounds right!

Good advice. FIRST use ears, if it fails, then let's doscuss the numbers and see where it goes wrong.

You're getting way too wrapped up in the BS bro, what are all these numbers?
It sounds to me you're using everything but your ears - just push the sub until it sounds right!

yeah man when i read your original post i was like:
whats with all the numbers?

also i looked at your sub in a spectrum analyser and id say try and tweak the attack/release. the release is actually really long and i think it's taking power away
also the freq range for the sub did seem a bit wide, it's peaking at around 45 hz which is great, but id probs lowpass it a liiiiiiil bit more

Where did you get the idea that your sub should be below your kick? No tunes do this, sub should be equal or louder than kicks and snares, every time.

i dont quite agree, i think kick should be a little above the sub, just intuitively, but it is all indeed subjective. if it sounds good it sounds good.

mainly, the biggest problem, is jump up tbh.

I agree it's subjective. What sounds good, sounds good. My preference is equal, or the kick just a little bit above. I don't like an over powering sub flooding a bit of the pow out of the drums.

yeh maybe my comment was a little brash but for current dnb its usually equal or less.

yeh maybe my comment was a little brash but for current dnb its usually equal or less.

would say thats more to do with the current trend of eqing and mixing for loudness, hi-passing the sub hard at 30-45ish hz (around that sort of area) to create headroom for mastering and having punchy fat kicks instead of deep sub-basslines... essentially you could say that it's part and parcel of that Electro/Massive/Vengeance Pack 'thing', if you know what i mean.

Back
Top Bottom