Any tips on how to start an intro?

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Right, for the first time in my life I think Im actually gonna finish a tune. It sounds decent, which is an improvement, so Im actually motivated to finish it, but Im working backwards now and I have no idea what Im gonna do for the intro, theres just too many possibilities and I have no idea what will actually fit with the rest of the tune. Any tips that you guys have found helpful over time or something?

it all completely depends on ur tune
u could try the old bits of the tune coming in with some ambient sounds and a riser
or the good old jump up way an have something that is completely different to the drop.lol
or write some chords from ur tune as strings piano etc an see how it sounds

theres no right way to make an intro mate just try out a few ideas an see which works best then go from there

What I often do is build a tune around a loop originally. Then I stretch it all out and add bits here and there and when it drops all the elements from my loop will be there.

If you have a nice chord progression playing on a pad then maybe loop that for an intro. Basically take a key portion of the main track and use that as an intro. Then maybe play around with using a different drum loop or the same loop with some different parts. Try make the beat a little less active than the full beat.

Hope that gives you a few pointers :)

lately ive been starting intros first
well been making elements for an intro (that can aslo be used in main tune) first if that makes sense

I start off with by going through some pad presets to look for something that has a bit of extreme hi end and mid-low end to really "fill" the sound space without introducing the sub bass yet–kind of a prelude of things to come. I want my intros to sound epic, but not overpower the man part of the track.

I find Logic's ES2 to be extremely useful when fleshing out an intro (Predator works well too!). Once I've found a preset with potential, I'll start tweaking away at the settings until it basically sounds completely different to suit my taste. Throw in some random, live recorded modulation via the mod wheel for extra flavor and a bit of humanized feel. Then just start to layer "little things," like odd one shot FX, dopplers, crash FX, etc. The intro is great fun to experiment with in that it doesn't even necessarily have to come back into the song. I've sometimes brought back snippets of it during a break, but more often than not it's never heard from again...until the track is replayed of course :).

Also, it's a good way to start messing around with different FX chains and what not. You can even throw in some modified sequences based upon your track's main sequence is you'd like, maybe even heavily hi or low passed so it's barely audible.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I basically try to complete the climax of the track, then grove on some sort of sub climax for a bit, then drag this bit out far too long. go back and remove midi clips/audio snippets so that as the track plays the instruments drop out one by one or something. Now go find some cool atmospheric/ambient/pad/drone sounds and have them come in as the instruments drop out.

This is what i use to get started on outros. usually after this point i can hear what it should sound like in my head and then i try my best to make that.

Back
Top Bottom