any tips on getting that sound? let's share.

alextababa

hiya

melbourne producer/artist alextababa here.

i use logic to make my beats.... finding it difficult to wrap my head around mixing drum and bass..... i mean track levels (eg- drums vs bass vs atmospherics), compression and multipression.... stereo effects or lack of on drums or bass....

typically i have been making mt tracks from scratch, tuning up the loop and triggering sections with the sampler. bass sounds in drum and bass are pretty unique so any guidelines there?

i have just fallen in love with drum and bass ..... heard "Demon's Theme" for the first time yesterday and just want to have my musical reply!

ali.

Give us an example of the type(s) of bass you wanna make and what synths you are using. A reese for example (like in Ray Kieths Terrorist and most dark tunes) is 2 sawtooths 1 detuned loads, a lowpass filter and heaps of distortion.

As for mixing down, turn everything down on the mixer (whilst your tune is playing) and turn up the element with the lowest volume (usually the subbass) or the 1 which you want to be most prominent (I usually start with the kick drum), set that as high as you can before it clips then bring up the other parts 1 by 1 WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE SCREEN, you want to be letting your ears tell you what should be how loud.

okey

ok the types of drum and bass i want to make are 1- that smooth chilled jazzy type (is there a name) that upfront boppy type and anything with a particular atmosphere and feel. probably that doesnt help ya. basically i'm still kind of getting into drum n bass and dont know that much about it. i used to make chill till i found my new love.

i'm using mostly logic's synths plus fm7 and absynth. i use the exs sampler a dor just about everything that it can do. absynth comes in for those evolving textures and unordinary sounds.

cheers for the mixing advice i'll try it on the tune im making now. cheer.

sawtooth
a waveform where electrical current goes from positive to negative in a linear fashion. on an audio editor its shaped like a saw, hence the name sawtooth.

detuned
2 identical waveforms, one is modified slightly by pitching down or up.

Back
Top Bottom