Any tips for producing dirty jump up?

MetaFisics

Ganjalist
Hi all, im looking to produce some filth in my spare time and was wondering if anyone knew which was the best programme to use to make some moody dnb?
Ive got reason 4.0, but was jost hoping people might have some advice on basic drum structure in reason for a jump up banger. But particulary on what they have found to be their favourite production programme to create some nasty beats....
thanks

errm yea, id say the best programme ive used to date is cuebase3, didnt go for 4 as apparently its bugged. if your already using reason weather u choose to download cuebase or fl studio you can still use reason as a plug in... so you wont loose all the synths u might have spend time creating.

I like to write my beats in wav. because they seem to hit cleaner, try not to do to much with beats with reguards to compressing and that, some times ull need to EQ to get them sitting in the right frq range, but less is more.

with reguards to synths id say just keep it basic, and make sure there is room for your tune to breath. By making space between the differen frq ranges with ur eqs, ull find u get a fuller sound.

hope i helped,
Safe.

Whichever DAW you end up going for, make sure it has VST support. Reason is ok but it suffers due to lack of VSTs, Subtractor and Malmstrom are solid little synths and Thor is a beast, probably as good as NI Massive, but the problem is that when you've got a nice sound rolling you'll inevitable want to put some effects on it or do some EQing and this means bouncing down your audio and loading it into a separate program which can be a pain. I don't really like the reason compressors and I'm not a big fan of Scream either. (Distortion will be very important if you want to do jump up)

These problems are remedied if you get a rewire client however it still does mean flipping between windows and it can become a big drain on your system resources. Personally I use Cubase SX3, I have Reason 4 and use it occasionally but mainly just for knocking together ideas or having a bit of fun.

Cubase can be a bit overwelming for first-time users, (took me about 2 weeks to get a sound out of it when I first started), but I wouldn't use anything else now. I'm starting to ramble now so I'll just give you my essential list of jump up tools:

z3ta+
Brilliant little synth, you can practically get any sound you want out of it (presets are a bit naff though). Low memory usage so you can have 3 or 4 of them open with no problems.

Some sort of EQ
Essential for getting everything to fit together (especially drums). I use Waves REQ but there are plenty of freeware ones around.

Ohmicide
The most sickening distortion plugin that has ever growled in my ears. If you want to try and get sounds like 'Machete' or DJ Pleasure, you'll need this.

I'm tempted to say some sort of compressor, but they're very difficult to use when you're starting out and can end up ruining something that would've otherwise sounded alright. (Properly enveloped drum hits shouldn't really need much compression if they're mixed right)

Spectral Analyser
Useful tool to hunt down any pesky frequencies that are taking up valuable head room. Also useful when EQing drum hits, but don't become reliant on it, ears are better than eyes.

And finally...............GOOD SAMPLES
There's absolutely no point wasting you're time trying to make shit samples sound good, you can't polish a turd. If you've got good samples/breaks all they will need is chopping up, EQing and envelopes (maybe compression).

Spose that's about it really. I suppose I could just contradict myself by saying you don't have to give up on Reason altogether, alot of producers swear by it. Search youtube for some tutorial videos, Logistics did one, and he uses Reason.

Whichever DAW you end up going for, make sure it has VST support. Reason is ok but it suffers due to lack of VSTs, Subtractor and Malmstrom are solid little synths and Thor is a beast, probably as good as NI Massive, but the problem is that when you've got a nice sound rolling you'll inevitable want to put some effects on it or do some EQing and this means bouncing down your audio and loading it into a separate program which can be a pain. I don't really like the reason compressors and I'm not a big fan of Scream either. (Distortion will be very important if you want to do jump up)

These problems are remedied if you get a rewire client however it still does mean flipping between windows and it can become a big drain on your system resources. Personally I use Cubase SX3, I have Reason 4 and use it occasionally but mainly just for knocking together ideas or having a bit of fun.

Cubase can be a bit overwelming for first-time users, (took me about 2 weeks to get a sound out of it when I first started), but I wouldn't use anything else now. I'm starting to ramble now so I'll just give you my essential list of jump up tools:

z3ta+
Brilliant little synth, you can practically get any sound you want out of it (presets are a bit naff though). Low memory usage so you can have 3 or 4 of them open with no problems.

Some sort of EQ
Essential for getting everything to fit together (especially drums). I use Waves REQ but there are plenty of freeware ones around.

Ohmicide
The most sickening distortion plugin that has ever growled in my ears. If you want to try and get sounds like 'Machete' or DJ Pleasure, you'll need this.

I'm tempted to say some sort of compressor, but they're very difficult to use when you're starting out and can end up ruining something that would've otherwise sounded alright. (Properly enveloped drum hits shouldn't really need much compression if they're mixed right)

Spectral Analyser
Useful tool to hunt down any pesky frequencies that are taking up valuable head room. Also useful when EQing drum hits, but don't become reliant on it, ears are better than eyes.

And finally...............GOOD SAMPLES
There's absolutely no point wasting you're time trying to make shit samples sound good, you can't polish a turd. If you've got good samples/breaks all they will need is chopping up, EQing and envelopes (maybe compression).

Spose that's about it really. I suppose I could just contradict myself by saying you don't have to give up on Reason altogether, alot of producers swear by it. Search youtube for some tutorial videos, Logistics did one, and he uses Reason.

Woah ho ho holey shit, nice post!!!

just one question, just downloaded z3ta, littrally today,
i got it so i could make nice clean low end, but i cant!!!!
Grrr!

i just want clean low end bass, muted, not much tone to it.

like a sine layer u find in most dnb,

dont get me wrong, i get close, but whatever i make has a faint high end buzz in it, even when i cut all the high.

i think im missing somthing, good compressor maybe??

ive been told less fx is better,

but i just cant seem to get what im looking for.

Ohmicide sounds cool thanks for the tip.

have any links to tunes u have made??

Thank you pleash!

Back
Top Bottom