Any programers with iTouch/iPhone experience/knlowedge?

DJPancake

NEW NAME IS DJ INCLINED
So both my Ipods have been jail-broken for a while now and i've was hoping some someone had any idea of how to run a portable version of Reason 4, or any DAW on my iPod?

Or i should ask is it possible?

Would the sound card and processor have enough power to do it? It's not an Intel processor, so that might create some difficulties.

I've seen in the app store a few apps that can record and play up to four tracks of audio. i Don't have them, so I don't know how good they are. There are a bunch of wanna-be scratching apps and mixing apps, but they are absolutely awful and i 'm glad i didn't pay for them. lol

If anyone has any knowledge of how to do this please tell me. You can add the file to an online data base were everyone else that is jail-broken can find if for free.

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll check them.

After i jailbroke my iPods there has been a rash of people i know jailbreaking their devices too. One of my buddies is actually ordering one specifically so he can jailbreak. ....not good.

iPhone/iPod Touch is the new laptop! lol

Would guarantee it won't work. It is code designed to run on windows or the mac, so you'd have to port all the code to the iphones hardware/api. I'd be amazed if anyone bothered as to be honest it would be totally unusable and you would see nothing and spend your life scrolling around the screen for hours on end. Can't imagine how bad that would be to use but I do think it would be good on the iPad. Wouldn't be suprised to see the major DAWs ported to the iPad in very the near future. Mmmm customisable synths with touch sensitive knobs, might be enough to get me to hand money over to apple.

lol

thanks for clarifying all

A few friends at my school have some experience with programing, but they don't care about my music and aren't skilled enough yet. And i don't have experience with programing.

I'm a programmer for a living. iPod/iPhone uses a variant of osx so while its not impossible to get say the mac os version of reason running on it, you'd need someone to port it and it would be pretty unusable anyway due to the screen size. It would be a big job for a team of programmers from propellerheads to do never mind your buddys who probably wouldn't get access to the source code anyway I doubt. You could get a netbook for half the price of an iPhone anyway so why bother?

By coincidence theres an article in the Computer Music Mag this month on pg 12 about the iPad and they say Reason would be perfect candidate from the other DAWs as it is completely self contained. From what I can gather they're saying the reason for this is that the iPad like the iPhone/iPod is not desined for multitasking or at least uses something called sandboxing so would make it difficult for vsts etc to run with other DAWs. But I guess anything's possible, its just that Reason would be handier to work with as a programmer and you're more likely to see it on the iPad first. Plus I gather Apple have such a stranglehold on the apps that its harder for plugin developers to get approved or some shit, not too up on apple as I try very hard to resist their shiney objects.

How much is an iPad going to be out of interest?

Sounds like it would make a lethal midi controller (though aparantly not if your a sweaty individual :D)

Last edited:
never mind your buddies who probably wouldn't get access to the source code anyway I doubt.

From what i hear they sit around all day and occasionally make flash videos and silly websights.

You could get a netbook for half the price of an iPhone anyway so why bother?

Good point, but what you dont know is that i got both my iPods for FREE!!!

they say Reason would be perfect candidate from the other DAWs as it is completely self contained.

Reason is a ZERO latency program, super cool.

Well just be happy you can still use your iPods.
I have a iPod Classic 120 Gb and after updating to iTunes 9 my iPod stopped synchronizing!
Just can't get more than 300 to 700 songs on it, while there where more than 18000 on it recently before updating.
So I send it back to the store, they send it back to Apple which updated the firmware.
Still got the problem though, so now I've called to Apple and they said to remove all Apple applications and try the iPod again.
Well still having the problem after following their instructions.

Anyone got a clue?

"I think i'm getting a clue."

"mmm... i think your clue is giving me a clue!"
lol Family guy jokes^^

Just restore your device dude, they shouldn't break for no reason. If the restore doesn't work ask for a new one.

...back to my OP discusions...

the MIDI Lab wireless midi controller apps are kinda cool.

The keyboard and 4X4 pads are a little laggy though

iXY is a really nice XY touch pad

what other MIDI apps do you guys use?

Back
Top Bottom