Any MPC users out there?

miszt

BASSFACE Royale
VIP Junglist
been dreaming about an MPC for years, finally gave in and got myself a 1000 :D ....anyone out there use them? am sure i'll have lots of questions if you dont mind...

its coming with JJOS1, which i'm gona bump upto JJOS2XL, cos I understand it has some great instrument features, plan is to also hook it upto a bass station 2, and some other synth (probly an FM type), and then run it all thru a little mixing desk, perhaps a saturator, and an analog compressor and limiter

any suggestions/thoughts? it hasnt arrived yet...so still dreaming lol

I'm considering getting one, i've found my love for hip hop ..... although i think i'd find it restricting making beats start to finish on an Mpc .. what are you planning on doing with it.. ?

I had an mpc1000 with the ram, hard drive and OS upgrades but eventually sold it. They are not great for making dnb imo, more suited to hip hop. They are fun to play around with but when you are used to all the options and highly detailed editing you can do in a computer, it can get frustrating with the limitations you have with the mpc.

Also, the big drawback for me was that the mpc doesnt accept samples higher then 16bit! Which sucked for me as the majority of my 30gb sample library was 24bit :(!

I'm considering getting one, i've found my love for hip hop ..... although i think i'd find it restricting making beats start to finish on an Mpc .. what are you planning on doing with it.. ?

all sorts really, triphop, dnb and dubstep to start out with, might even get my minimal/deep techno project up and running again

going to get an analog synth for some filthy noises, and something like a Supanova for other stuff, tie it all together with a small mixer and FX rack, and hopefully get a nice live set together

for now i'm just going to rip all my ableton tracks out, chop them into channels and 16 bar loops, then see where it takes me!

actual production on the unit will come later, once i've figured it out properly, but for now just remixing my ableton tracks

Why don't you grab the Maschine? just a thought.

I love the sound of NI's synths, but I love abletons stuff better, i dont need another a software daw or controller...i want the dirty sound of an Akai sampler :)

- - - Updated - - -

I had an mpc1000 with the ram, hard drive and OS upgrades but eventually sold it. They are not great for making dnb imo, more suited to hip hop. They are fun to play around with but when you are used to all the options and highly detailed editing you can do in a computer, it can get frustrating with the limitations you have with the mpc.

Also, the big drawback for me was that the mpc doesnt accept samples higher then 16bit! Which sucked for me as the majority of my 30gb sample library was 24bit :(!

yeah the limitations are going to be a challange, but thats what I need right now, I can make any sound I want on the PC, then dump it onto the MPC to play around with - it will be nice to be forced to play with arrangement and composition, rather than endlessly tweeking filters and distortion settings haha

and yep...no 24bit is a shame, but considering its only got a max of 128mb ram, thats not such a prob lol CD quality anyways, it'll do!

anything in particular that was frustrating using it? obviously you cant do complicated multilayered synth stuff with automation, but thats a given really...

Last edited:
I don't have one but from what people say it's good to sample into it from another source rather than try to put 24 bit samples straight in as the converters colour the sound in a nice way. You can get some good sounds by overdriving it on the way in and also a lot of the old hip hop guys would sample at very low bit rate / sample rate for that lo-fi sound. Like anything it's bound to have its uses.

I'm not sure I'd feel at home sequencing on something like that after using a computer for all these years but I'd like to have one.

I remember Fanu did a sampler shootout a while back comparing sounds of different samplers when you sample clean or overdrive the converters when sampling and the brand new MPC fared very well.

I don't have one but from what people say it's good to sample into it from another source rather than try to put 24 bit samples straight in as the converters colour the sound in a nice way. You can get some good sounds by overdriving it on the way in and also a lot of the old hip hop guys would sample at very low bit rate / sample rate for that lo-fi sound. Like anything it's bound to have its uses.

I'm not sure I'd feel at home sequencing on something like that after using a computer for all these years but I'd like to have one.

I remember Fanu did a sampler shootout a while back comparing sounds of different samplers when you sample clean or overdrive the converters when sampling and the brand new MPC fared very well.

interesting! I've been in two minds about how to load my samples onto it, I was going to just dump 16bit files...but perhaps i'll record them thru the inputs for a bit of grit

Back
Top Bottom