Any luck with demo submissions?

whosblong

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but has anyone had any luck with getting demo responses? I tried to share some tracks on a few labels' dropboxes but as far as I can tell, no one's listened to them yet (e.g. the # of plays hasn't changed). I'm sure they get hundreds a week so maybe it'll take some time to get to it but I'm starting to feel like giving up hope. If anything, just knowing they checked it out without a response would be enough to let me know that maybe the tunes are not up to snuff yet.

I have contacted only one label, hopefully when I have more tunes some label would check them out. I don't know if they are not bothering if you don't have enough listeners already. I would like to get a response even if they are not interested tho, it's driving me a bit mad too. :/

Just sent a message to overtech recordings. Hopefully they at least tell me if they aren't interested.

II don't know if they are not bothering if you don't have enough listeners already.

Its normally quite the opposite mate, the more a tune has already been in the public eye, the less appealing it is to established labels unless obviously the tune is already getting a hell of a lot of hype.

I would always reccomend trying to send tunes to labels via aim. Soundcloud is good, but you dont get to build up a raport with a label. If you chatting to em on a regular on aim then even if they dont like the tunes they are more likely to give constructive feedback or potential signing.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but has anyone had any luck with getting demo responses? I tried to share some tracks on a few labels' dropboxes but as far as I can tell, no one's listened to them yet (e.g. the # of plays hasn't changed). I'm sure they get hundreds a week so maybe it'll take some time to get to it but I'm starting to feel like giving up hope. If anything, just knowing they checked it out without a response would be enough to let me know that maybe the tunes are not up to snuff yet.

just out of interest, what labels did you try?? best to find ones that suit your style and level of production ofcourse, and have a good few tunes to send. All you really want is to be in a good position talking to some other artists who can support you and swap tunes, and give you some labels AIM addresses. ETC. thats just about getting in the loop with artists and labels. but yeh ofcourse you got to have some reasonably good tunes first

I put a tune in loxy's dropbox on soundcloud last month and was chuffed to see that he had downloaded it a few days later, dunno if he has played it but i was still pretty chuffed. Apart from that i havent really sent anything to anyone, i just don't feel my tunes are good enough yet.

If you are confident sending out demos though I'd recomend not sending it to every label/artist you've ever heard of and just send it to one, maybe two select people that you think could potentially be interested, gotta keep an aura of quality and exclusivity around your work imo.

just out of interest, what labels did you try?? best to find ones that suit your style and level of production ofcourse, and have a good few tunes to send. All you really want is to be in a good position talking to some other artists who can support you and swap tunes, and give you some labels AIM addresses. ETC. thats just about getting in the loop with artists and labels. but yeh ofcourse you got to have some reasonably good tunes first

I think the style point is very important, level of production on the other hand is an interesting one. As i seem to be saying time and time again i cant recommend enough taking your time and getting your production and tunes to a level where influential people; and peoples whos opinions you value are interested.

There is generally a reason your tunes won't be signed, arguably it could be taste, or it could be that you aren't quite there yet. At that point lowering your standards in order to get releases is something again i wouldn't recommend.

I put a tune in loxy's dropbox on soundcloud last month and was chuffed to see that he had downloaded it a few days later, dunno if he has played it but i was still pretty chuffed. Apart from that i havent really sent anything to anyone, i just don't feel my tunes are good enough yet.

If you are confident sending out demos though I'd recomend not sending it to every label/artist you've ever heard of and just send it to one, maybe two select people that you think could potentially be interested, gotta keep an aura of quality and exclusivity around your work imo.

(y) Thats the one really.

Don't send stuff out until it's good enough, that's my advice.

Top artists aren't there to give feedback and tips on how to make your tracks better.

Im a harsh judge. Post up your tunes and I will tell you if they are good enough.

GOOD! Hopefully you can give good feedback also, listen my shit here: www.soundcloud.com/elzerk

I know you weren't asking me but I thought I'd share anyway.

I didn't think much of your neuro tune. Your production is good - but I don't think it brings anything new to the table. I could go on a couple neuro youtube channels and hear 100 tunes just like yours.

Your experimental stuff was a lot more interesting to me and caught my ear (I have pretty obscure musical taste though :P).

From those tracks I think you are a good producer, but there's nothing really 'unique' about them. And so therefore while they're good, they're just part of 1000s of other potentially 'good' tracks floating around. If you could work more on developing your own sound, I think you could be good.

IMHO

Well I think I went for the long pass and tried RAM, Viper, Shogun, etc. Probably shootin' too high at this point. The tunes are on soundcloud under "whosblong" if anyone's interested. Just wondering if anyone here has had any luck though, good or bad, with contact from a label. Like I said, they probably get hundreds of demos a week and probably just scan through them quickly. And if you don't have a good hook in there, it probably just gets swept aside.

Well I think I went for the long pass and tried RAM, Viper, Shogun, etc. Probably shootin' too high at this point. The tunes are on soundcloud under "whosblong" if anyone's interested. Just wondering if anyone here has had any luck though, good or bad, with contact from a label. Like I said, they probably get hundreds of demos a week and probably just scan through them quickly. And if you don't have a good hook in there, it probably just gets swept aside.

shooting too high aside, just had a quick listen to your stuff on soundcloud

i think you'd have a lot of trouble getting those signed to Ram or Shogun. not a reflection on your skill as a producer, but because they're incongruent with those labels' 'sound'

I know you weren't asking me but I thought I'd share anyway.

I didn't think much of your neuro tune. Your production is good - but I don't think it brings anything new to the table. I could go on a couple neuro youtube channels and hear 100 tunes just like yours.

Your experimental stuff was a lot more interesting to me and caught my ear (I have pretty obscure musical taste though :P).

From those tracks I think you are a good producer, but there's nothing really 'unique' about them. And so therefore while they're good, they're just part of 1000s of other potentially 'good' tracks floating around. If you could work more on developing your own sound, I think you could be good.

IMHO

Haha, much appreciated! My own sound is slowly forming, new tracks will have more balls to sound like me, I have held my ways back a bit concerned that people don't like it, even thought I always say you should sound unique and push your own ways even further and further even if it sounds like shit first. Glad you gived honest opinions! Pos repped ;)

could you really see those tracks you have being put out on ram recs?? you need to work a little harder on your sound no offence whatsoever

seeing as somebody who commented runs a label himself - they are not impossible to get in contact with, you just did.

Back
Top Bottom