any logic users using ultrabeat?

msmith222

redbeard
VIP Junglist
i was wondering if any other logic users are using ultrabeat (for anything, really). i typically like to use audio for my drums, but i was wondering if i am missing out by letting ultrabeat sit idle. i am thinking about using it to make my own loops, which i could then use as audio later. anyone else have thoughts?

I ve only used ultrabeat a few times. I dont see much of a use for it unless im over lookin its features. I usually sequence my drum hits using chopped up drum loops samples and one hits in the main sequence window, or chop samples up and import them into the exs24 sampler and trigger with the akai mpd23.

and besides, you can a lot more into creating variety in your drums throughout your tune then and still be able to independently eq/compress them accordingly etc

and as you said, you can create your own loops and patterns and get heavily into it.

do you use it for your full kit, or only for a few hits?

I have multiple samples either from the internet or a recording of my hitting a saucepan with broccoli or whatever.

I make a new project load them into an audio channel, stretch or compress(not compression) the sample....
make another track using a different sample layer that sample over the top and do the same thing.

I eq each hit seperatly hi pass and low pass different samples depending on what sample im using whether its a thuddy snare or a snappy hat.

I then bounce the sample and load it back into the audio channel and do the same with other samples until i get the sound Im after.

Im always resampling, non stop resampling i think its the best way to get your own unique sound.

When I have finished the Hits I load them into ultrabeat on the track im using then create the drumloop.
I use different channels for the kicks, snares, hi hats and other percussion.
I then put each section into a different bus incase i need to apply a sidechain n ting

hyper draw editor is underused IMO as well why we're at it. you can add some real easy variation to you drum patterns with this.

i really believe stickin my drums into ultrabeat shortens the dynamic range of a sound, i dont kno if anyone else found this ??? plus ive neva seen anyone n the dnb world use it e.g perez, sabre, sub focus, chase n status, xample n lomax.

hyper draw editor is underused IMO as well why we're at it. you can add some real easy variation to you drum patterns with this.

word dude especially with the velocity bit.

Velocities I reckon are the key to making a good beat.
When you use the standards kits that come with logic if you change the velocity of a hit the whole samples changes.
Im always using a rock kit for fills and stuff because you can get such a good sound from it.
Also it is good to have an element of acousticness(if thats a real word) in your drums.

velocities can definitely a lot of life to a beat, and are over looked in some cases, i think. i was messing about with difference high hat sounds for ages, and couldn't get the feel i wanted through the rhythm whch resulted in me using the same hat, with varrying velocities, and hey presto! exactly the result i wanted.

with people using audio over ultrabeat... i guess it does make sense in a way for the most part. but i find it slightly limiting in terms of arranging beats and i feel you can get a lot more (easier and quickly implemented) varriation in ultrabeat, for the most part.

oh and sam, agree on your points for sure. and i think it'd just be 'acoustics in your drums' ;)

guess it just depends what you're comfortable with and finding a combination between the two.

i really believe stickin my drums into ultrabeat shortens the dynamic range of a sound, i dont kno if anyone else found this ??? plus ive neva seen anyone n the dnb world use it e.g perez, sabre, sub focus, chase n status, xample n lomax.

probably because you haven't reset all the envelopes etc to 0dB (in effect) or everything to zero, ya get me?

dealing with audio and/or ultrabeat are basically the same thing. only real difference is in the way you view them in the arrange window, i.e - audio files, or a midi region.

essentially it's the same thing that's going on.

Back
Top Bottom