any electrical geeks out there?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Nutek, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

i bought some studio monitors (alesis m1 mk2's) from a german site so the plugs are consequently european. on the plug it says 16amps.. i went to maplin today and asked a bloke what converter or british lead i would need but he didn't really know what he was on about. what can i buy to get the leads to work with a british socket? or what lead can i use? can i just use a computer monitor lead with a 16amp fuse in it? that logically sounds correct but i can't seem to source any 16amp fuses, not even in maplin. i'm pretty cheesed of because i want to be able to use them on monday in time for my birthday :(

2. Naib

Naib Member

Mainland Europe works at 230Vac 50Hz
    UK working at 230Vac 50Hz (well actually 240Vac but the spec says -5%/+10% so we just push the spec :D saves us money anyway working at the slightly higher voltage)

16A fuse o_O that isn't a standard/consumer mains fuse at all (only goto 13A for consumer goods)
    You sure what you are reading is the fuse rating and not the output current rating of the step-down (say 24V @ 16A for instance?)

BUT if it is the actual plug fuse you can get 16A fuses, they tend to be for industrial equipment and cars
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4190090
    They won't be the std size for british plugs (since the IEE state a max current draw from the sockets as 13A).

piccies and moar info pls

and Oi!!!! electrical geek :( do it for a liven don't mean I do it for fun :D

3. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

hey, cheers for the help, i'm trying to look for something i can get from b&q or maplin as they are local, i've tried searching the site for a european converter but i've had no luck :(

4. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

5. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

go to your local hardware store.
    they will know what you are on about.
    may be able to help you aswell

6. Naib

Naib Member

[​IMG]

Looking at that link it shows a couple of things

1) that is a standard kettle mains plug so any will do

2) 63W maximum drawn from the utility
    At 230Vac this puts the line current at 0.27A

A standard 1A plug fuse is more then enough (so grab a kettle lead and check the fuse rating - seems this system is double-fused so a 13A lead should be ok BUT see later in this post w.r.t. 16A fuse).

I am still interested where this 16A fuse requirement comes from

I am guessing inside both of these monitors there is a powersupply that takes this 230Vac and steps it downto say... 42V and thus the current rises leading to a fuse of 16A BUT on the low-voltage side (more to protect the electronics

There does seem to be a fuse-holder on the back (next to the input level dial). At a guess if you were to use a blade screwdriver and pop it out you would see that it is a bigger then a std plug fuse AND there is one inside :D

basically you should be ok

BUT the back of the monitors shows an ac voltage in of 200->230V just check with hte manual that 240V is ok

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  7. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

Wicked man, thanks for the help, on my monitors they say 220-240v on the back, unlike the picture. Sorry to ask again but would you be able to get a link from maplin/wickes/b&q of exactly what I need please, just to be perfectly sure.

Much appreciated (y)

8. Reference

Reference fair shout.

how much did you spend on your alesis mk2's again justin?

there 99 quid on htfr lol
    http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR98786

9. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

10. Reference

Reference fair shout.

11. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

12. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

A kettle plug. In other words, what you have connected to your computer. That is it.

13. Naib

Naib Member

:D exactly!

that style of connectors is a european standard, it means countries only have to make the mating half that goes into the main's

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1176

if you could pop out the fuse on the back of the speakers tho (just to check there is one). You should be able to get such a fuse from halfords or B&Q
    they will be longer and/or wider than a std plug fuse and it could have a glass body (so you can see the fuse element). Such fuses are easy to get hold of, just not something yr supermarket would hold or local pound shop

14. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

what amp? it says 16A on the german plug but a 16A fuse is 3cm long..

15. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

okay then, if the fuse is bigger surely it won't fit in the plug?

16. dubster001

dubster001 f*** it

Thomann Cyberstore FAQ List

Important Information For UK and Irish Customers - Plugs!

Please note that being a central European company all products are supplied with an EU 2 pin plug.

Now as all voltages are the same these can be simply changed in the case of a kettle type lead, or it is also possible to purchase the correct 3 pin version from a local supplier. Alternatively a simple travel type adaptor would also work a ok.

New articles are now available at www.thomann.de! Try code 196220 for standard plugs, or alternatively for a more sturdy unit our code 109614 - Thomann Adaptor Euro - UK!!!!

Please note That you are welcome to change the plug yourself as an earth wire is included. However doing this will void your Moneyback guarantee and any future money back requests. Also, where a repair may be necessary - the manufacturer may require the power supply as original.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  17. Naib

Naib Member

Wait I think you are getting confused and in turn confusing me (faaar to early and faaar to little coffee for me to deal with that soz)

Are you saying the German 2prong plug that plugs into that 3pin connector (as shown in my screenshot) has a 16A fuse in it?

because I doubt that
    There will be two fuses in this

1) in the plug you stick in the wall socket (the usual size fuse)
    2) the fuse within the unit that you need to use a screwdriver to 1/2 turn to release it ** THIS one will be the 16A long fuse type, this one you don't need to worry about

your only concern is hooking these units to the mains and a standard kettle lead will do it

18. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

so just a kettle/computer lead with a 3a fuse in it? :)

19. Datt Male

Datt Male Active Member

theme speakers won't use any ampage at all a 3 amp fuse will be more than enough

20. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

are you 100% sure that if i use a 3amp kettle lead it will be absolutely fine? i'm just worried they will blow up or something.