DnB Any advice would be great!

RiggsyV98

Hi,

For as long as I can remember I've loved drum and bass (preferably jump up). I've always had a little niggle in the back of my head that I've wanted to DJ/Produce, but I haven't got the best idea of where to start, I'm a complete novice. I'd love to DJ for MC's at events. And I obviously understand this isn't an overnight thing.

Where would be the best place to start?

Lewis

I second that ^

For producing: Look for a DAW first ( the program in which you can make tunes), the most used ones are Logic, Cubase, FL studio, Abelton.
Just take a smalle look at tutorials on them, instal the demo, see what fits you.

Then just look for some tutorials online, first the very basics to learn you DAW, later on on how to make sounds, mixing, maybe some mastering, that stuff.

For djing: Also quite some choices, take a look in THIS subforum. There are tons of people who asked the same question there

I third what they said, check out the stickies.

First step though like Crizis said, is to look for a DAW, and then familiarize ourself with it.

There are tons of information online and on YouTube, to teach you to use whatever your using.

Download some demo's and trial them out.

Don't buy everything straight away.
You won't realize what you do and don't need until you've been trying for a while, and there are lots of things it's really tempting to buy but aren't necessary.

For producing, get a DAW and a half decent pair of headphones and you're good to go. I don't know about DJing, that's a different kettle of fish.

Apple's Logic pro if your on mac, and Abelton if your on windows are good choices. Those are the two I've used most. I used FL studio when I started out, but I prefer the first two.
Cubase I've tried, cakewalk, etc;

I think the first two I mentioned are very good choices fro someone just starting out.

You want something that has allot straight out the box for you to learn from.
With Logic for example, it has a ton of plugins already built in. Synths, effects, everything.
If you learn those well, (and many of them are great synths) You learn the basics that will carry over into everything you're doing.

So pick a DAW that has allot of stuff already in there that you can be getting on with.
The worst thing is getting something and it being bare bones, meaning you have to go and buy a ton of expensive software to make anything decent.

As others have mentioned, get a decent pair of headphones. Don't buy some crap from Monster though and think price equates good (Beats).
There are allot of ridiculously priced headphones that are basically just fashion accessories. You don't want that.
Rather than Monster or Skull candy, Try AKG for example.
Go for respectable audio companies rather than corporate giants trying rake in the cash from dumb consumers who haven't done their research.

There are speakers too, monitors, which in general are better. You get a much wider sound and better clarity.
However, your room presumably isn't acoustically treated, so there's not much point to go for monitors yet.
Once you get into it more, these in my opinion should be your next purchase.

Last edited:
Don't buy everything straight away.
You won't realize what you do and don't need until you've been trying for a while, and there are lots of things it's really tempting to buy but aren't necessary.

For producing, get a DAW and a half decent pair of headphones and you're good to go. I don't know about DJing, that's a different kettle of fish.

Same advice!!!
I've been working with Reason for years, and never bought any other stuff. Just bought some quality samples!!
you'll be amased how, with everey DAW, far and deep you can go to make the right sound!!!

That's why i will not advice you any DAW, just try many and you'll find the one you like! ;)

Some offer more than others, though.

For example, I think Reason, Logic or Abelton would be a better choice than FL or Sonar right now.

He'll need the best bang for buck.

Cheers for the replies!
If I'm honest I'm not completely sure what I'm doing within this software, what's the best way to understand everything?
Lewis

everything? Reading the manuals
but again, as others also already said, search for tutorials, first just basic stuff
for example 'how to make drum and bass in [enter your daw here]' or just [drum and bass [enter you daw here]'
im sure those will give results, if not, be a bit more specific, but you will definitely find some good tutorials

Yes, start off with the basic stuff (Layout, quick keys, etc; )

You'll get the hang of it fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom